• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TRG 42 in 338L

shoot4fun

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Oct 27, 2003
    Riverside, Alabama, USA, etc
    I have the opportunity to purchase a TRG 42 in 338 Lapua. It is blue/black with 1 in 10 twist. It will have the Sako brake, pic rail and an extra 5 rd mag. I can also get the Sako bipod if desired. I tend to not want it, but should I get it? Is there an adapter to allow me to use a Harris bipod or Atlas?
    What do you guys think it should cost?

Re: TRG 42 in 338L

I think the Harris #6 bipod adapter is the one you want. Cost under $10 on Midway. Works nice.

The Sako bipod is VERY nice and it is one tough unit. I know where you are coming from on the cost/benefit side though. It is hard to justify the money when you can get a Harris and an adapter for roughly 1/5 the price!!

If I were you, I'd buy the bipod with the package and if for some reason you don't like it, you'll be able to get your money back out of it and you can go pick up a cheaper alternative.

I would go with the Atlas but I don't think the TRG spigot for it is out yet though.

The TRG unit is nice but I didnt like the lack of cant lock.

(I have an Atlas on my AICS but I installed a bottom rail rather than use the spigot mount so I can easily move the pod amongst my other guns, could probably do the same with a TRG).

The sako bipod is far superior to the Harris, but I mounted a Harris on my Sako without any problem. There is a round hole underneath that will accept the Harris pinch mounting system easily. But if you can get the Sako bipod for a decent price, they are wonderful.

The important feature of the TRG bi-pod design is the fact that it supports the rifle in a cradle configuration center with the bore of the rifle. This is what gives the design it's superior position. Nothing against the Harris, I have them on numerous systems I shoot. However, when compared side by side with the design of the TRG/Cheytac it is significantly less stable. I wouldn't get too caught up in switching things around neither. Once you start shooting the TRG you will find yourself on it most of the time. Instead of adapters, invest in some Endust or Pledge for the rest of your rifles.:)

Wind50Cal man thats funny but you're probably right, I enjoy firing off my TRG even though it's on a Harris.

Guys, thanks for the input. I only have a 500 yd range but I think I need a big boomer. The price I am getting is very enticing. One of my customers has it and wants to be rid of it. I think I will get the bipod. He has it in stock.
    The rifle will have the Sako Pic rail on it. I don't think it is 20 MOA. Does that matter? If so, where do I get a 20 MOA rail for this?

just my 2 cent's,
    Go for a NEAR brake, if you shoot prone, with a 338, way much less dust then the sako brake, recoil reduction is the same ( from my feeling)

marc

I also prefer the NEAR brake to the factory brake... at least on the TRG42(338). In my opinion, the NEAR is more effective than the factory. I've put the factory brake on my TRG22 (for spotting hits) and the NEAR on my TRG42.

Regarding the SAKO bi-pod, I was extremely skeptical before I purchased one. Primarily due to price and "stuff" I've read on the internet about instability. I finally gave in and purchased one. When I open the box, I thought I had made a $500 mistake. While it appeared to be well made, it "flopped" from side-to-side as I picked it up. My initial thought was... there is no way in hell I can shoot off this... too unstable.

To make a long story a little longer.... I attached it to my TRG42 and off to the range I went. I immediately discovered that when you "load" the bi-pod, the damn thing locks up perfectly. NO instability at all!

Having said that, either bi-pod (TRG or SAKO) works well on the TRG platform. I have both, but I now prefer the SAKO. Is it worth $500? That's up to you!
    wink.gif

Good Luck,
    Jay

I have a 42 with the factory bi pod , three ring mount and break. So far I have nothing but good things to say about all of these components. The Bi pod is expensive but is extremely stable and tough. The three ring mount is superb, it has 30 minutes of cant and when you consider the price of a near base plus badger or near rings the cost is quite similar. While I have not had any experience with any other breaks I will say that the factory unit tames the recoil well but does throw a lot of debris about. This was very apparent several weeks ago when I shot the rifle in the desert.
    Ben