• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trg 42 ridge on cases

kidkl

Private
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2007
Colorado
Hello all,

I have a trg42 in 338 Lapua took it to the range to get sighted in and everything was great. After running the brass through my full length sizing die I notice they all have a ring about .3" from the base of the case, where it looks like the die had to work them over pretty hard.

Resized case:

IMG_1061.jpg

Concentricity gauge on the ring:
IMG_1069.jpg

Immediately behind the ring:
IMG_1070.jpg

Here is the same for a once fired (factory Lapua ammunition) the area of interest is the same spot...

Before the ridge:

IMG_1073.jpg

On the ridge:

IMG_1074.jpg

Immediately behind the ridge:
IMG_1075.jpg

Then further back on the case head:

IMG_1076.jpg

Normally, if I wasn't going to be reloading I wouldn't be so concerned about it, however since Lapua brass is relatively expensive I am concerned that because of what seems like a ridge in or an oversized chamber I am going to be going through brass relatively quickly (especially if I full length resize). For those wondering an unfired piece of factory loaded ammunition has the same taper all the way to the case head.

So what do you guys think? Time to call up Sako/Beretta and ask them for a new barrel?

Re: Trg 42 ridge on cases

How does a fired unsized peice of brass measure? That will tell you what your chamber is like. The ring may be coming from the die deminsions and not the chamber. I have however seen this same mark on a lot of diffrent brass from various chambers and calibers and have never had a split , or seperation from it. I usually shoot my brass a min of 10x each. I hope this helps.

I thought I had mentioned this before but...

An unfired case does not have the ridge at ~.3" it has a very gradual taper.. IE it slowly increase until it hits the rim. Only the fired brass has the ridge on it. The brass that has been sent through the sizing die still has a ridge on it but less so.

Sized cases with redding bushing FL die leaves the same mark for Lapua 338 brass in my TRG42. As long as the cases chamber it really shouldn't matter.

I have 10 loadings on one batch of 50 cases, I did have a split neck on a previous batch of 12x fired cases. That particular case split after the 12th firing and I have not loaded those cases yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kidkl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">pupdawg - Where you FL sizing each time? </div></div>

Yes. FL sizing with a Redding FL bushing die. Cases needed to be trimmed on the 5th loading. Also I was experimenting with the 300gr SMK's and H4831SC 81.0 gr even though the twist is the 1 in 12. They move steel a lot better than the 250's haha!
wink.gif