• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TRG 42 trigger

HoytFlinger

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2011
Lexington, KY
I picked up my TRG 42 last night. Thanks Eurooptic! This is my first rifle with a two stage trigger. Question, should I notice some take up on the first stage? Mine breaks like glass, but just feels like a regular trigger.

Re: TRG 42 trigger

Yes, there should be some take-up in stage one. I'm guessing that stage 1 has been adjusted out.

There should be a screw that allows length of travel of stage one, in looking at the manual, it appears that it's the screw at the bottom of the trigger...maybe someone else can verify this.

That's what I thought. Thanks. I have the manual. Guess I'll try to find a trigger pull gauge and adjust it. It is a brand new rifle so I wonder why Sako would have done that?

There definitely should be some take-up on the first stage just like other two-stage triggers. Lemme look at mine and see how it adjusts... I've never had to mess with it, it came set perfectly for me

You were right. The first stage screw was barely in there. It is a completely different trigger now! I need to get a gauge to finish the weight, but both stages are now functional. Just a little light right now. I want it about 40 ounces. It feels about half that now.

Make sure you always keep the 1st stage at roughly 1/2 the weight of the 2nd stage on a TRG. The only thing that I've ever seen go wrong on a TRG is the trigger when the stages are adjusted to close together. You can't have a 2# stage one and then a 2.5# stage 2 if you want the trigger to work very long. If you want 2.5# on the 2nd stage, then the 1st stage must be very light, around 1.25# to avoid trigger malfuntions. You might want to use the SH google search engine to find other posts on this subject.

Also if you take the trigger out always make sure the bolt is out!!!!!!

I researched it before I messed with it. The first stage is very light and the second stage is about double the first. I read a thread on here about taking the bolt out first so I did that. Thanks everyone for the replies.