• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TRG barrel finish

MJY65

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2011
Minnesota
I've been researching TRGs quite a bit, and finally got the chance to actually see one at a local shop. I was a bit surprised at the finish on the barrel. It seemed pretty rough and chalky. Not what I expected on a high end rifle. Is this typical, or did I just happen across a bad example?

Re: TRG barrel finish

Pretty sure you saw the phosphate finish. Made to be extremely durable in he harshest of conditions and actually costs more than the matte blued finish. I had no complaints at all with my TRG.

It was definitely the phosphate finish. I was just surprised that it seemed a little blotchy even compared to some of my ARs.

Its a battle rifle, wipe it down with a lightly oiled rag and shoot the chit out of it, LOL. the accuracy and durability is outstanding, I'm not sure what kind of finish you thought it should have, but remember a nice blued finish will start to rust if not kept oiled out in the field.
SScott

Phosphate looks ugly when it is stripped dry, like parkerization. It ends up looking splotchy. My receiver looked really bad when I used a chemical stripper to remove the leftover epoxy from the factory picatinny.

I wiped mine down with a grease to fill the porous nature of the finish and wiped it with a rag until the surface was clean to the touch. No more splotchy look and I haven't apply more since. No rust after taking it out in snow flurries and splashing it with mud, and not cleaning until the next day.

Who gives a shit what it looks like TRG's are stupid accurate and tough as hell. Mine looks like goats ass but its an amazing shooter and thats all that concerns me.

I understand that the finish is meant to be durable and I'm fine with that. As I said, the one I saw didn't just look dull, it looked very blotchy and uneven. It certainly could have been dry from being in storage and might even out after a good wipe down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bth87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who gives a shit what it looks like TRG's are stupid accurate and tough as hell. Mine looks like goats ass but its an amazing shooter and thats all that concerns me.
</div></div>

I was thinking the same thing.

Lube them up, give them a good wipe down and the finish will look smooth as can be again. Its like the coating just soaks up the oil. They look really nice when cleaned up and lubed.

From a tactical standpoint, the rough mat tectured finish is perfect. These rifles are actualy utilized by militaries in Afghanistan. If you don't want the textured finish get the cheaper model.

V/R