• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors TRG suppessor w/18x1 or use adapter

ronas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2010
Charleston, South Carolina
First let me say I will use suppressor on AR15 type rifle as well as TRG-22.

So would it be better to:
--Have 1x18mm to 5/8x24" adapter and use suppressor with generally used thread size on 308,

--Have 1x18mm to 1/2x28" adapter for AR

This way I could use suppressor on other rifles too and I was thinking suppressor would be easier to sell thru Class III dealer or course should I want to sell it.

<span style="font-weight: bold">OR</span>

Have suppressor made with 1x18mm thread and buy a 1x18mm to 1/2x28" adapter For AR.

Cost of buying two adapters is not an issue.

Re: TRG suppessor w/18x1 or use adapter

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">20" or 26"? If 26" get it cut back a bit and rethreaded.</div></div>

It's a 26" barrel and that's a good idea but I'm thinking if I had it cut back I might not be able to use the Sako flash suppressor.

Assuming you are talking about the Sako MUZZLE BRAKE, sell it if you are getting a suppressor. Aside from hunting laws, there are not too many reasons to remove a centerfire suppressor if you own one. Lastly, if you still want a brake when shooting unsuppressed get something like THIS with the thread over muzzle brake option.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Assuming you are talking about the Sako MUZZLE BRAKE</div></div>

I do not have Sako muzzel brake. I just got rifle and I'm just in the process of sorting things out. Ordering all kinds of 308 reloading items, bullets and the list goes on and on.

Got it. I would definitely get it cut to anywhere between 22 and 24" and have the muzzle threaded for 5/8"x24. Purchase a suppressor with the associated threaded muzzle brake just as I referenced in the above post. That way, if you ever sell it there will be a bigger market. Not a whole lot of metric threading being done by the US gunsmith community.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ronas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">F
Have suppressor made with 1x18mm thread and buy a 1x18mm to 1/2x28" adapter For AR. </div></div>

That's what I did. I have an SRT Shadow-Ti in 1x18 and just step it down for use on my AR. I simply leave the adapter on the AR barrel and thus it's like having two rifles threaded 1x18.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">buy a shark and get two thread on adapters that fit both.</div></div>

We have spoken before regarding can for OBR 556, you were going to have something new come out soon.

Well things have changed a little. I now have a TR-G in 308 that I'm trying to sort out. Would like to find something to work on both rifles.

I'll send you a PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ronas</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">buy a shark and get two thread on adapters that fit both.</div></div>

We have spoken before regarding can for OBR 556, you were going to have something new come out soon.

Well things have changed a little. I now have a TR-G in 308 that I'm trying to sort out. Would like to find something to work on both rifles.

I'll send you a PM </div></div>

He just told you what would work. One can, multiple rear caps in the correct thread pitch.

SureFire is making a brake for the TRG22. We took the measurements off my new rig so users can use the FA762K. That suppressor also works on a number of 5.56 adapters for dual use. We should have them out soon after my proto type gets cut and tested.

SilencerCo is also in the works for a centerfire can with interchangeable threaded inserts.

Their Osprey pistol can works amazing with all of my different threaded platforms, so I'm more than excited for their centerfire can

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 737SHARK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">buy a shark and get two thread on adapters that fit both.</div></div>

That's what I did! 338 Shark for my TRG and a 9/16x24 thread adapter for my 308. Works like a charm.

Another option is to have your smith turn down the metric threads and re-thread to 5/8-24 TPI (Standard US threads)

The Sako brake isn't anything uber special, there are aftermarket brakes that work just as well or are more effective, and have the option of 5/8-24 TPI. If you have any other rifles larger than .223 the standard US thread is 5/8-24 so thread those and use your suppressor on those as well.

If you want to keep it factory, you could have your smith cut the barrel behind the backup front site notch, then thread your shorter barrel (about 2" shorter) 5/8-24TPI and internally thread the internal portion to thread and time on that.

My buddy had this done with his TRG42 and runs the Sako brake on the factory threads. If he wants to run his AAC Titan suppressor, he twists off the approx 2" of extra barrel with the brake on it, and there are his 5/8-24TPI threads for the can.

+1

David builds a great can and with the added versatility of a very clean thread adapter it's a no brainer.