• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

trg thread pattern

RRA_45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2006
kingston, oklahoma
I don't have a sako trg. Eventually some day I would like a Sako Trg 22 20" and an AAC cyclone for it.

If it was you would you get the 26" trg and cut it to 20" and thread at 5/8X24 or just get a 20" barrel stick with the Sako thread pattern?

When I spoke with the Sako representatives in this country, they told me that the TRG22 has a chrome barrel and chamber. Any time you cut a barrel with a chrome bore, you run the risk that the chrome in the barrel will not cut cleanly, and will chip. Obviously, getting a chip out of the chrome near the muzzle would be devastating to the accuracy of the rifle.

For that reason alone, if you want a 20 inch TRG, buy that barrel length, and live with the Sako thread pattern (18x1mm IIRC). It pretty easy to find someone who will make a muzzle brake, or suppressor in that thread pattern if you don't want to pay for a Sako brake. If you want more versatility, you could always get a thread adapter going from the TRG pattern to the 5/8 X 24 thread pattern that you want.

I would be terrified about having a barrel with a chrome bore cut. Although there are plenty of people who have done so successfully, I just wouldn't want to take the risk.

You don't necessarily need to cut the barrel down to rethread to 5/8-24. You can take off the metric threads and still have enough metal to cut 5/8 x 24 threads without even touching the crown. This is what we do. Good luck,
Justin

I've had no problem finding muzzle devices and suppressors in the SAKO thread. Why screw with it (pun intended)?

Tros adapter. Works great. Tros makes the finest adapters for thread pattern conversions.
I have one for my TRG. And one for my tacops.

First I would recommend against AAC for a suppressor. I have a 762-SD that has been a POS from day one (QD system) and I have a ranger 2 thread on that they couldn't even get right. The threads are not concentric inside of the can and the rear of the can only contacts about 120 degrees of the muzzle shoulder on all the rifles it's been on.

My suggestion would be to get a SAS Arbiter TOMB mount. You buy different thread muzzle brakes or flash hiders which it threads onto so you aren't stuck with having to use just one thread pattern.

I have an AAC TiRANT .45 and 9mm, and a M4-2000 (51t)

They have been flawless for me.

In fact I have 6 suppressors and the AAC ones seem to have a lot better fit and finish than my others. I have 2 qd mount rifle cans and I want this one to be screw on.

Truth be told it'll be a couple of years away.

Last edited:
From everything posted so far, buying a 20 inch rifle, and having the threads turned down to what you want makes the most sense. Not having to cut a barrel in length is a great option. Nice to know that about the thread pattern.