• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TRG42 mag problem

graewolf

Minuteman
May 11, 2011
Huntsville, Texas
My TRG42 338 mag doesnt want to let my bolt pick up the next round. The rounds in the mag want to tilt nose up JUST enough for my bolt to miss the back edge of the next round. So, for now I have to eject a spent case, reach in and push the next round's nose down a little for the bolt to pick it up. While this seemed like a nominal problem, with an easy solution - I'd like to be able to just cycle the bolt normally and not be diappointed when I press check on the 2nd, 3rd, etc follow-ups.

Has anyone had this problem and/or have some advice to fix the issue?

Re: TRG42 mag problem

There's a silver spacer on the chassis at the front of the mag well make sure that's not adjusted too far to the rear. Also use mic to measure the rear lip area of your mag and the front of the feed lips. I'll check mine tonight.

OK, the feed lips are an even 12.4mm front to rear. I see the silver spacer, although how do I know if that is adjusted to far to the rear, and wouldnt that have more to do with mag fit in the chassis than affecting the rounds coming up in the mag as they should? My mag is snug in the chassis and doesnt seem overly tight or loose. Thanks for the help b.t.w. Hopefully I can get this figured out.

I just played around with some other things. The spring is a "W" flat spring and I took it out and turned it around "backwards" (hoping maybe it was actually installed backwards in mine - meaning I have it now in the correct position) and that was much worse. Turned that back around.

Just loading the mag - the rounds get angled in wierd ways. They definitely do not get pushed up to the feed lips like they are supposed to. Even if I physically line them up and get them situated correctly, all it takes is slight bump with my palm to the bottom of the mag (not unlike seating the mag in place in the gun) to get the rounds all cock-eyed again.

1st- How long are your rounds? The tips need at least a .010-.015" clearance.

2nd- Also give the mags a good scrubbing, a little grit, dust or rust will cause the rounds to drag on the sides/rear of the mag body.
I run mine perfectly dry (No oil) so grit will not stick.

Last, if you leave the mags loaded full for long periods (don't), the springs may take a slight set, a little re-bending of the springs may be needed, I just put a little more bow in all the bends.

I'm running into a similar issue with my TRG-22. Mine wont strip the next round because the round doesn't fully seat to the magazine lips.

The inside of the magazine has been cleaned free of debris, I've checked to see if the spring was oriented correctly, and I even gave the magazine spring a slight bend to provide more tension to push the rounds up.

DSC_0006-15.jpg

You can see the case rim is even with the rear of the magazine so it doesn't strip the next round when the bolt is cycled.

graewolf, does your issue look similar to mine?

I had this same issue a while back. My rounds were too long.

R.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1st- How long are your rounds? The tips need at least a .010-.015" clearance.

2nd- Also give the mags a good scrubbing, a little grit, dust or rust will cause the rounds to drag on the sides/rear of the mag body.
I run mine perfectly dry (No oil) so grit will not stick.

Last, if you leave the mags loaded full for long periods (don't), the springs may take a slight set, a little re-bending of the springs may be needed, I just put a little more bow in all the bends. </div></div>

Round have plenty of clearance. Def. not the issue. The mag is clean...this isnt caused by round binding due to grit. I dont leave the mag loaded ever.

Now, I DID take the spring out and rebent each corner. That seemed to take care of it, for now. So, if the spring retains what I stretched it out to, it will be fine. Time will tell I suppose. Just hope I dont have to end up needing to remember to restretch my mag spring each time I go to the range (my backyard).