• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Triad Stock Pack vs. TacOps Cheek Pad

MAG00

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2012
NE Texas
I was wondering what you alls opinion of the Triad stock pad versus the Tac Ops cheeck pad. They appear to be very similar from pics on the web. I have no source for checking these out in person so I thought I would ask you all if you had any opinions of one over the other.

Does the tac ops version have the hook & loop pieces on the underside to be able to add padding?

Re: Triad Stock Pack vs. TacOps Cheek Pad

While I can't speak to the Tac Ops cheek pad, I have a Triad stock pack and it is an excellent product. Very useful and very high quality.

Not only does the extra hook and loop material on the Triad packs allow for the addition of elevating materials, it also allows for more adjustment options for the straps that secure the pack to the stock. The Triad stock packs are made in the USA(I'm not saying the TacOps aren't because I don't know).

https://www.triadtactical.com/Triad-Tactical-c-298/

The TacOps have more shell loops.

Triad offers FOUR versions of packs, soon to be five.

cant speak for the tac ops because i dont have one or ever used one, but ive got 3 triads and have been impressed and will keep buying them.

I have a TacOps, and they are top notch too. very well built, and great quality. they are hand made also, in California.

All that said, pick one and go. you wont be disappointed whichever way you go.

-Paulus

My vote goes to Tac Ops. Love my Triad gear and their service, but the Tac Ops stock pack wins out for me.

Oh, but the options from Triad....

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

400006-3.jpg

IMG_0018.JPG

Wow. I came into this thread with an opinion and left with a shopping list. Quite the sales pitch Triad. Im sold.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAG00</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Does the tac ops version have the hook & loop pieces on the underside to be able to add padding? </div></div>

Yes.

I have a few TacOps and they are excellent. That being said, I would not hesitate to buy one of Triad's as I cannot imagine him putting his name on something that isn't equally as well crafted.

Choose whichever you like. It's good to have options.

I have a handfull of both. I like them both. I like the triad's Large stock pack for my larger stock rifles and I use the tacops for my smaller stock rifles...real scientific. Both make quality gear and you won't be dissappointed in either. If you prefer a larger pocket and pack, triad is the only one that makes the larger one that I know of. I don't know if Tacops is making the larger packs, but I know he offers extension straps to fit the larger stocks.

Honestly, buy which ever one you like and is in stock, and you won't be dissappointed.

I need to get another pack, I have had several Eagle packs in the past and have one Tac-Ops. My only complaint about the tac-ops pack is that the velcro staps are burned at the end. This makes them sharp as heck and rips up my hand when supporting the rifle.

If more elevation is needed for a tac-ops, a mouse pad works perfect.

i personally love the triad packs. i have their large stock pack and i have a field cleaning kit, lens cleaning kit, mdm, dope card, some spare ammo(inside), ammo (outside), a lighter, and a few spare parts for field repair on my rifle.

with all this in the pack it is full but not "bulky" and fits perfectly on the stock not to mention that the entire pack can be customized specifically for your rifle just by repositioning the straps!

triad is 100% gtg in my book and i will be a repeat customer

Frogman77 hit the nail on the head -- get Triad if you want a large pack, TacOps if you want a small pack.

Other deciding factor may be because the pack on the TacOps is lower, it's a lot easier to use from the weak-side. The Triad is too high and gets all over your face when you try to get cheek weld.

I add padding perfectly fine under the TacOps pad using the cut off tube portion of an old athletic sock. Anyone who thinks hooks and loops are required to keep the extra padding secure needs serious help...

Between the ergonomics above, I'd say decide what sounds like a better fit and get it cause they are equally good product.

I too use to add material to the comb and then put a stock pack over it. Issue I had was that the comb was high enough that the cleaning rod would rub on it. Mine was mouse pad and duct tape (not easy to remove for cleaning). I guess if your tube sock method is secure during shooting, and comes off for cleaning, you have reached the same end.

The Triad Stock Packs just move all the adjustment to one place that's easy to remove for cleaning, adjustment etc.

General sizing info:

Standard Stock Pack and the Stock Pad work best on standard hunting rifle/factory contour stocks. They will adjust out to fit a M24/PSS/R5 or Manners T/MacBro "A" family stocks.

The Large Stock Pack will be too large on anything smaller than M24/PSS/R5 or Manners T/MacBro "A" family stocks.

I have no doubt that TacOps stock packs are well thought out and designed, but I like the versatilty that Triad Stock Packs offer. You don't have to settle for "one size fits all" They more models to choose from that you can tailor to your specific need. I have two Triad "Large" stock pack and will be ordering a "Slick" version without a pocket when I get return home next. The Triad stock packs I own are very well made, noticably better than the Eagle stock pack I bought a few year back. I really like the velcro for adjusting the height of the comb of my stock, it was a very simple and innovative solution. I can't believe I didn't think of it. I always did the mouse pad and duct tape under my Eagle stock pack. The velcro works so much better. You won't go wrong with TacOps or Triad, but my preference is the Triad stock pack.

Triad all the way. I started buying from Steve back on a 2008 deployment to Iraq and whenever I need to buy gear, I always go with Triad. Before I went to the Mountain Scout Sniper Course, I bought one of Triads large stock packs, and I used it to carry AI mags and my FDAC. Triad is the way to go, I'm a huge fan!

The triad pack that holds the rounds on the inside look like a nice pack.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAG00</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was wondering what you alls opinion of the Triad stock pad versus the Tac Ops cheeck pad. They appear to be very similar from pics on the web. I have no source for checking these out in person so I thought I would ask you all if you had any opinions of one over the other.</div></div>
The Tac Ops Stock Pack/Cheek Pad that is sold commercially only comes in one size which is too small to accomodate a Mildot Master or AICS and AW magazines like the Large Triad Stock Pack will. That said, if you don't carry a lot of bulk the Tac Ops Stock Pack may suit your needs. I carry eight rounds of ammo in the exterior ammo loops, and on the inside I carry wrenches necessary to adjust or tighten the ring clamps and screws, bottom metal, scope turret screws, and my bipod's QD mount tension as well as a Lens Pen and ear plugs. There's still room to spare for a small notepad, pen, and pencil.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Tac Ops Stock Pack holds 8 rounds in the exterior ammo loops and has room for small tools, pens, note pad, or a Weather Meter:</span></span>
TacOpsStockPackOpen38x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Multicam Red Tac Gear Version III LT Tool Pack Pouch with Birdsong Black-T coated tools (tools not included in RTG LT Pouch):</span></span>
LTToolPack1RA8x6.jpg

LTToolPack1OPENLA8x6.jpg

LTToolPack1BatteryPocket8x6.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAG00</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does the tac ops version have the hook & loop pieces on the underside to be able to add padding? </div></div>
Except for a narrow loop-free strip that allows the Stock Pack to hug the where the ridge of the stock's cheekpiece, the underside of Tac Ops Stock Packs' is completely covered in "loop". The rest of the underside is covered in loop, allowing the user to position the Stock Pack's four retention straps to fit a wide variety of stock styles and sizes. Older Tac Ops Stock Packs have a crease about 1.25" wide, but newer production Stock Packs have a more narrow crease (approximately 1/2" wide). I have both older and newer production Tac Ops Stock Packs and they're of the highest U.S.-made quality and function the same.

The "loop" on the underside of the Tac Ops Stock Packs is there to allow the user to fine-tune the position and angle of the Stock Pack Straps and their exposed length. Keep in mind that <span style="font-style: italic">all</span> Stock Packs also widen the cheekpiece slightly, pushing the shooter's face off the centerline of the cheekpiece and the axis of the scope. If material is added underneath a Stock Pack, unless the build-up is perfectly vertical the width will be widened as well, pushing the shooter's face further off the axis of the scope. Therefore, when building-up cheekpad height to align your eye with the scope care should be taken to to ensure that the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">height</span></span>, not <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">width</span></span>, of the cheekpiece is increased.

However - if it's known that a high cheekpiece will be required for use with a particular stock/scope/ring combination, a much better option is to use an adjustable cheekpiece version of the stock (if available). Several McMillan and Manners cheekpieces are <span style="font-style: italic">laterally adjustable</span> in addition to being height-adjustable. The lateral adjustment allows the user to use a Stock Pack/Cheek Pad and still keep his or her eye on-axis with the reticle.

A lot of bolt action rifle stocks don't need need them, but Tac Ops offers their Stock Packs with extra-length retention straps to accomodate the extra height of newer "tactical" stocks. The "taller" buttstocks of tactical stocks such as the McMillan A4, A5, and A3-5 as well as the Manners T4 and T5 stocks benefit from extra-length straps that Tac Ops offers. However, if you order a Tac Ops Stock Pack YOU'LL NEED TO ORDER THE STOCK PACK DIRECT FROM TAC OPS, as it is unlikely that retailers who carry Tac Ops Stock Packs will have the LONG STRAPS in stock.

<span style="font-weight: bold">NOTE:</span> The photos below are of an older MultiCam Tac Ops Stock Pack, so the photos of the underside show a 1.25" wide strip on the crease between the Right and Left sides of the Pack. Another cool thing about Tac Ops Stock Packs is that the area where the three (3) bottom straps are routed is sewn in a way that you can tuck the ends of the straps under the Stock Pack so that they're hidden out of the way.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Underside of Tac Ops MultiCam Stock Pack with LONG Straps:</span></span>
TacOpsStockPackUnderside8x6.jpg

TacOpsStockPackUndersideLS8x6.jpg

TacOpsStockPackUndersideRS8x6.jpg

I highly recommend that you order a Tac Ops Stock Pack with LONG Straps. As I said above, you will have to order direct from Tac Ops, as retailers who carry Tac Ops Stock Packs will only have Stock Packs with the Regular Straps.

Below are a couple overhead photos of a McMillan A5 Adjustable's cheekpiece with and without a Tac Ops Stock Pack installed. The cheekpiece has been adjusted to it's rightmost position, allowing the a RH Stock Pack to be used on while still maintaining the shooter's eye on-axis of the reticle.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Overhead view of Tac Ops Stock Pack on McMillan A5 with KMW "Loggerhead" ACH. The KMW's Lateral Adjustment is at "full right":</span></span>
TacOpsStockPackOH18x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Overhead view of McMillan A5 with KMW "Loggerhead" ACH. The KMW's Lateral Adjustment is at "full right":</span></span>
A5KMWCheekpieceOffset18x6.jpg

Keith

Anyone running a Triad Stock Pack on a McMillan A5? I'm wondering if I should get the regular or large stock pack.

I have a couple of the Eagle packs from years ago, will definitely use the Triad pack on the next rifle.

Keith, don't forget about the small hidden pouch behind the zippered pouch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sentry1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone running a Triad Stock Pack on a McMillan A5? I'm wondering if I should get the regular or large stock pack. </div></div>

Either size of the Triad product will fit on your A5. You need to decide if you want the shell loops of the standard size, or the bigger pocket of the larger size.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: herkyhealer130</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 for the Triad stock pack. It's an excellent pack with more options. </div></div>

+2

I like my Triad I can carry spare mags, mil-dot master, my smokes etc. plenty of room and made very well. Hell I have 3.

Can't go wrong with either, both are well made.

I give the legs up to the Triad. The TacOps is shallow and will not fit the large rear sections of stocks like the McM A5, Manners T5A, T4A, or the Sentinel. The Triad fits everything and fits it like a glove. The velcro straps are longer and are more adjustable in their placement.

I tried to order a triad pad with internal loops, coyote for my T4. but my credit card wont let me ship it to AUS.
Be nice if they offered PayPal. they are a mint bit of gear.

Both will serve you well. I have a triad pack with internal shell holder. I love it. I can't imagine shooting without it.

We did take PayPal, until they locked our account because of gun content.

The issue with cards should be fixed now.

I am pretty sure ebay and paypal allow gun parts again. I just purchased some via paypal last week.

Lots of transactions get through with paypal, as with gun stuff on Ebay. If you do enough transactions, they will find you sooner or later:

Prohibited Activities

You may not use the PayPal service for activities that:

violate any law, statute, ordinance or regulation.
(a-h) deleted
(i) <span style="font-weight: bold">ammunition, firearms, or certain firearm parts or accessories,</span> or (j) ,certain weapons or knives regulated under applicable law.

See, they dont tell you up front what they are. They come around after the fact, LOCK your funds for 60-90 days.

Ebay has similar rules:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/firearms-weapons-knives.html

Paypal locked my account, which had $10,000.00+ in it and told me that I had to remove all the ammo and gun parts from the site in order to reactive my account. At the end of my "probation period", they unlocked my account and I cleared it out.

I promptly told them to <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 20pt">SUCK IT</span></span>, and closed my account.

Well that will sure make you mad. I guess in your shoes I would not use Pay-pal either.

Well I have a Triad Pack already and love it. I needed one for another rifle and just ordered a Tac-Ops I will give it a try. I found it from a local company with shipping for less than 40. And it is digicam, so it should look good on the rifle. I will let you know what I think once I test it out for awhile.

I've got a couple of the Eagle packs and just ordered a Triad. I've got high hopes it will compare well.

I had a Tac Ops and gave it to a friend. I wanted a slick side now that I have a drop box magazine.

Bumping this thread as I'm curious if Triad's pouch (Not the large model, the regular one) is bigger than the one on the TacOps. Anyone have both?

From the side, it looks like Triad's pouch is a bit more 'rectangular' in shape, giving it more internal space. Whereas, my TacOps definitely angles up as it nears the handle- making it more like a right angled triangle. I'm not sure if this is true or just the pictures making it look that way. Hope my descriptions are clear!

Their both good packs. I have both and have absolutely no issues with one over the other.

That being said the Velcro option on the Triad is nice if you need a good bit of height.

Now maybe he will get the extra strips back in stock. I'm tired of slipping mouse pads.

Triad stock pack is better IMHO. It holds more, longer straps and the overall shape is more friendly to more stocks. The Tac Ops cheek pad is very narrow and small, the straps are very short. I found it unusable on my stocks, and it resides on a Remington 1100 stock.

Has anyone done a Side-by-Side with all the brands of "stock packs/cheek rests" out there? I say an Allen brand yesterday offered by Midway USA, for under $10.00! The prices seem to be all over the place for what appears to be almost the same product. I'd love to hear from those that have actually handled many of the brands and get some feed back on what they've learned.

I actually have the allen stock pack on a .22 and the Triad large on my .338.
As far as comparison, obviously the Triad is larger. The Triad has a much better zipper, cheekpiece, fabric, stitching, adjustment range...etc
The allen works great for my .22, but there is no quality comparison to the Triad. On the allen, my zipper catches, the cheekpiece is pretty worn from not shaving, the adjustment range is smaller and stitching on my pocket is fraying. Im not easy on my equipment, but Im not skull dragging either.

Lots of transactions get through with paypal, as with gun stuff on Ebay. If you do enough transactions, they will find you sooner or later:

Prohibited Activities

You may not use the PayPal service for activities that:

violate any law, statute, ordinance or regulation.
(a-h) deleted
(i) ammunition, firearms, or certain firearm parts or accessories, or (j) ,certain weapons or knives regulated under applicable law.

See, they dont tell you up front what they are. They come around after the fact, LOCK your funds for 60-90 days.

Ebay has similar rules:
Firearms, weapons, and knives policy

Paypal locked my account, which had $10,000.00+ in it and told me that I had to remove all the ammo and gun parts from the site in order to reactive my account. At the end of my "probation period", they unlocked my account and I cleared it out.

I promptly told them to SUCK IT, and closed my account.

just a FYI. google wallet and amazon webpay both have no fine prints about guns or parts...

The Tac Ops cheek pad is very narrow and small, the straps are very short. I found it unusable on my stocks, and it resides on a Remington 1100 stock.

Good point. We discovered this while working on the dedicated shotshell version of the Stock Pack. We had to make it shorter and shallower than the standard size.

I have had both side by side on two guns with the same stocks. While the TacOps is nice, let me just tell you there are triads on both stocks now. Just the small details I like better about the Triad like the folded nylon strap the protects the stock from the buckles, and the fact that the triad is padded all the way around where my TacOps was just on the sides.

Triad vs TacOps I say the winner is Triad! Build quality on both is top notch but Triad has more options to fit the end user. I have owned the regular triad stock pack in the past, but currently all of my rifles have the large stock pack. I went this route once the FDAC hit the market a few years back. Steve if you're listening you need to add external loops (5-10 rounds, preferably 10) or velcro to your large stock pack (I run a floor plate damn it!!!) and I would be in heaven. I love the room of the large stock pack but I hate having to open it up to reload (I keep a red tac card inside). I prefer external cartridge loops for single loading my rifle. For my DBM rifles I run the large stock pack as reloading (single loading) is not as critical. I still have a Tac Ops stock pack on one of my rifles because I do like the 8 cartridge loops, the problem with the Tac Ops is the pouch is a little small for what I like to keep on my rifles but is useable. Steve add cartridge loops to your large stock pack please, it would keep us floor plate guys competitive against the DBM guys!!!