• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Triad Stock Pack

amp

Private
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2009
Pacific Northwest
I'm considering a Triad stock pack and am trying to decide between cartridge loops on the inside or the outside.
Which do you prefer and why?
Rifle is for range use and/or the occasional tactical match.

Mine are on the inside just because I liked the clean look on the outside.

Nothing to get snagged

Also opted for the inside loops, if only for the cleaner look. Ask yourself if you need the loops on the outside cause you think you need the pocket to store other stuff? If you need the storage space, go loops out, if not, loops in. Is speed at getting to your spare rounds of utmost importance? Questions you have to answer.

Also note that the zipper operates from opposite ends (I believe). On my model with the loops interior, the zipper pull is forward when closed. I make a point to ensure the cord pull is tucked underneath so it isn't flying around messing with my vision when firing. I'd prefer it open from back to front, but that is my only gripe and a very minor one at that.

Outside because I only use them on call outs when I need barrier penetrating ammo if the need to shoot through glass. I just pop 3-4 in the loops and deploy so I have it when I need it and nothing is mixed in with my mags. Just makes a fast easy grab and I have my inner pocket arranged with other loops etc. and ammo would just get in the way.

Sully

I am planning to get one loops out so i can store my data book inside the pack, so its always with the rifle.

I had my wife sow in two internal pockets, one for batteries and one tools and a flap to split the inside pouch. Great to have everything in its place.

Sully

I have both. The Eagle with outside loops and Triad's inside loops. I like Triad's the best. But, like FireEMT's complaint with the pull tab flopping around.... I just cut mine down and doubled the knot. I also liked how Traid's came with some internal risers.

Joe

Triad offers two different sizes, the regular with the two options (external or internal loops) and the large stock pack. The regular size per Triad won't fit much inside like a FDAC or other types of range or data cards. Its just a bit too small. I am looking at one and I am leaning towards the large pack. It will fit a little more inside. I think the loops on the inside would be the way to go for the regular size stock pack. A small consideration should be the impact on the ammo sitting on the outside of the weapon. Most of the guys I shoot with are looking for the best accuracy and having your ammo sitting on the outside of the pack gives it more opportunity to get dirt or other contaminants on it, scuff a bullet or even dent the brass. How many times at the range have you seen some "other guys" rifle flop over on the side because he didn't have his bipod tightened enough (pod loc from triad!!!!) or get knocked over by a careless movement? If you are just a BR shooter, then MAYBE no worries but if you are moving and shooting at all it seems to me that the internal loops would be the best move.

I went with the internal loops because I don't like banging my ammo around as much. That clinking noise is not a good thing. The regular Triad has enough room for the ammo, couple of allen wrenches, dope cards, lens pen and a few extras. More than I care to carry on my rifle.

Charlie

I have them on the outside. Mostly because I hunt with them on my rifles, which are single shot actions. Keeps the bullets real accessible.

Outside for me. I like as few steps as possible between me and shots fired. The zipper is an unnecessary step.

If you have to feed your rifle from the pack you should be using a mag system. Mine is purely shtf scenario where I always have some rounds with the rifle. The loops on the outside are like the old gun slingers with the single actions. The bullets look cool rapped around the belt but way out dated. No real world use for them really.

I like the loops on the inside so if you have to shoot the rifle week side your face is not chewed on buy your spare rounds. And it looks cleaner.

I like the zipper closing forward by the way. Had a different stock pack that closed to the back before and lost several small items out of it over the years when it didn't get closed all the way when I was in a hurry (Allen wrench, pen). Makes sense when I thought about it to have the opening forward so when the rifle is slung a small gap won't have your stuff falling out.

I like them on the out side just leaves a little more room on the inside for stuff that i might need

If you have to feed your rifle from the pack you should be using a mag system. Mine is purely shtf scenario where I always have some rounds with the rifle. The loops on the outside are like the old gun slingers with the single actions. The bullets look cool rapped around the belt but way out dated. No real world use for them really.

I agree. Loops on the outside if you have a BDL-style magazine that can be topped off (or if you need to single load). But loops on the inside if you use a detachable box magazine system, 'cause then those rounds are just a last-ditch backup for when you've lost all your mags.

I went inside just for the clean look and I dont like my ammo just hanging out in the open, They are tight loops but could lose a few rounds while getting to your location.

I went inside but my rifle is a blind mag (soon to be DBM) so it really didn't make any sense. I use the Red Tac Gear ammo cards velcro on the side of my stock. I lose rounds all the time in matches running around. I like it the way it is but I always forget they are in there. I can only load 5 so on 10 round stages it sucks. I have to single load underneath to the ammo card where I would have rather just loaded from the pack. If I had thought about it originally I might have done it differently. Now I don't really care and would probably stay with them inside.

One of my other rifles has the large stock pack. That's nice because I can fit my bolt in there. Either way Triad is GTG.

From reading this, it sounds like a good idea (<i>hint, hint Triad!</i>) to make the ammo loops attached to some velcro, then put the opposite velcro patch on both the inside and out, so that way the user could switch back and forth. I'll take the first prototype as payment for the idea. ;)

I am looking for one of these to go on my .22-250 and am 99.9% sure that my first purchase from Triad will be one of their stock packs...now to decide on inside or out!

That's such a good idea! It's so good I just miracled 200 of them onto the shop floor :)

It's a project we have been working on for several months. We have taken delivery of the first run of packs and are just waiting on the various Velcro backed carriers to catch up. Of course SH viewers will be the first to know about it.

You need to look at the PIG stock pack, first class.

That's such a good idea! It's so good I just miracled 200 of them onto the shop floor :)

It's a project we have been working on for several months. We have taken delivery of the first run of packs and are just waiting on the various Velcro backed carriers to catch up. Of course SH viewers will be the first to know about it.

Nice! I guess I'll wait to buy one of these then!

A little Flava to hold you over:

IMG_0901.jpgIMG_0895.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, but even by using my crystal ball, I cant figure out who you are in real life......

For the most part, we are shipping orders placed on the 7th today.

Great improvement there Triad. Wish this velcro version would have been out when I ordered mine. If I ever need another pack, I'll be giving one of these a try. Will there be the option to order additional velcro loop straps? Someone no doubt will want to run a pack with ammo inside and outside.

Harbinger, good point you made about the zipper and carrying the rifle with a sling. I'd never considered that, but it makes perfect sense. Guess I'll retract my minor complaint about the zipper opening from front to back - my Triad stock pack is perfect just the way it is......... Guess that's why people a hell of alot smarter than me are making and selling these things! :eek:

Great improvement there Triad. Wish this velcro version would have been out when I ordered mine. If I ever need another pack, I'll be giving one of these a try. Will there be the option to order additional velcro loop straps? Someone no doubt will want to run a pack with ammo inside and outside.

Harbinger, good point you made about the zipper and carrying the rifle with a sling. I'd never considered that, but it makes perfect sense. Guess I'll retract my minor complaint about the zipper opening from front to back - my Triad stock pack is perfect just the way it is......... Guess that's why people a hell of alot smarter than me are making and selling these things! :eek:

I had the same qualms with the zipper until I got used to it. It is still a little awkward, but it beats losing a tiny scope wrench or a dope card, etc. Can't wait foe the Velcro version!