• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Trigger 40X issue in 700 PSS

Tango down

Minuteman
Dec 2, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Hi
Few questions.
I gave a Remington 700 PSS with a 40X trigger; I went to see a local Gunsmith, as I wanted the trigger to be set at 1.5 lbs; he mentioned that this trigger should not be adjusted below 2.4 lbs, for safety reason (it may go "bang" by itself). I could live with 2.4 lbs, so I agreed.

1st question: Is it correct that the 40X trigger should not be adjusted below 2.4 lbs?

Once he did the adjustment job, I went to the range but I noticed inconsistency in the trigger pull. I checked the trigger pull with a Lyman trigger gauge and it showed that the trigger pull jumped inconsistently from 2.12 lbs, to 3.14 lbs in a random manner (I checked it over 10 times). Once home, I double checked it again and also used my trigger gauge on a Sako and Anschutz to make sure it was giving me accurate readings, it was accurate. I called the Gunsmith about this issue but he is not returning my calls, so I thought of asking fellow shooters of their own experience with this trigger

2nd question: Is this something that other shooters, using 40X triggers, noticed, or heard of, or is the 40X a reliable trigger?

3rd question: If the answer is yes for question #2; would my best option be to have the trigger checked out, polished and adjusted ; or should I skip the aggravation and go to a Timney or Jewell?

I appreciate all answers.
Good shooting.
Ombre noire

You don't need 2.5 or 1.5 lbs. Watch what Lowlight does with what I am almost certain is about 3 -3.5 pounds. I use him as an example that is readily available in video. It is about the proper application of the fundamentals, not light triggers. Please don't take this as being preachy. I mean only to help. I have the same trigger and can shoot it well enough. Lowlight and others are better examples.

Good luck.

Remington triggers are more sensitive to how the bolt is closed. Don't believe me, slam the bolt and test then slowly close the bolt and test.

I would guess a couple of things

1. How much take up is there before the trigger breaks? If there is a lot then I would polish the sear.

2. I would check and see if it becomes more consistent as you tighten the trigger pull weight screw. It could be too lose and therefore inconsistent.

I have no issues puttin a 40x at 2 lbs. that being said the above poster is correct but only if the trigger is consistent.

If your smith won't help you out I would be happy to adjust it for you. Just pay the shipping both ways and we will call it good.

I have an older late 60 early 70 vintage 40XB Remington. The trigger consistently pull at 12 ounces. I have the newer 40X trigger in my 308 and I cannot get it to pull below 1.5 lb. I think the older 40X trigger is slightly different than the new one.

Thanks for your help guys, I will answer to all of you in this post.
SLVGW360
First of all, no sweat, I don't take anyone as "being preachy", I always listen when someone talks and I do appreciate all inputs on my "trigger issue".
10-4 on being able to shoot very accurately with a 3 lbs trigger; I also have a TRG22 with a 2 lbs trigger and I was trying to stick to something close to the Sako's trigger (even though the TRG has a two stage trigger), so both rifle would break in a similar area.
I was also trying to figure out if it was correct that the 40X trigger could not be adjusted lower than 2.4 lbs, just for my personal knowledge.
I addition and IMHO the trigger (now supposedly adjusted at 2.4 lbs) should not be jumping between 2.12 lbs to 3.14 lbs, it is kind of annoying when shooting. I have a Mosin-Nagant Sniper (1943) that breaks at 6.5 lbs and it always breaks there. Consistency is accuracy, so I wanted to know what the word was on the 40X trigger; reliable, or not and if it was worth it, or not, for me to have some work done on it.
Thanks and good shooting.

SSC
Can't feel any take up before break, it is a nice break, it just happens at different pressure.
10-4 on tightening the trigger pull weight screw, I will try this and see what happen, as I rather have a consistent 3 lbs than a inconsistent "light trigger". Thanks for offering your help, I appreciate this.; I will post on the Hide when I will have a solution; as of now I am scratching my head with a smart look on my face.

boshine
As far as I now, it is a 40X trigger and it was sold as such. Now, is there something on the trigger that can let me know if it is a 40X, or xmark pro? I can see the adjustment screw, in front of the bolt release knob, itself located in front of the trigger.
If I remove the barreled action from the stock, is there anything that can tell me either way?
Thanks, good shooting.

Desert Fox
I purchased the rifle (NIB) not too long ago, so it should be a rather recent model, with the newer 40X trigger. I always hear that some Remington triggers are good and some other models, not so good; and the old ones are often praised. Eventually, I hope to be able to solve that issue soon but a lot of Gunsmiths and Gun shops are overwhelmed with the "gun ban threat" going around the country. Everybody and their mothers are buying guns, or having them repaired, or making them "tacticool"; I don't blame them but I can't wait until things cools down, then we will be able, again, to get powder, primers and whatever else, without having to "backorder".
Thanks, good shooting.

Thanks again to all of you. I will post whatever results I get on my trigger quest.
Good shooting, be safe and have fun.
Ombre noire

I would be very careful about polishing any of the internals in a Remington OEM trigger. Many of them, to include all of the X-Mark triggers have internals that are made out of MIM (basically a powder metal). They are then treated with something to increase the hardness on the surface. It would not take much to 'polish' through this surface.

In my personal opinion, I would replace the trigger.

n64atlas
Thanks for the pics, looks like I do have a 40X trigger.
Good shooting.

GasLight
That's definitely something that I did not know about, thanks for the info.
It may be a crappy question but what trigger would you put in this rifle? (Remington 700 PSS .308); for most of my "shooting life", I was "issued" rifles with whatever trigger was in it and they were not always the best ones, so I am still learning on "what's what".
Thanks for your input.
Good shooting.
Ombre noire

These are just my recomendation, and other opinions will vary and be just as valid.

I like Timney, their customer service has impressed me, and I really like their triggers.

I am also a fan of JARD, and you could even buy one of their upgrade kits for your current trigger.

Finally I haven't used one yet, but Huber gets a ton of good responses, and I have been wanting to try one of theirs.

Hope that helps

Dave

For triggers, It all depends on how light you want it to go. Just be aware that the light triggers won't make the rifle shoot better. If you are pulling the trigger right, you will be able to
hit your mark at ant weight. If you have flaws, then it might let you improve as it will mask them. Also, it depends on if you will be in the field or at the range bench , as to how ight you should have it. Jewell makes a very good trigger as does Shelin (sic)

If you use to your 2 stage TRG you might want to check out the CG Jackson trigger. I have one and love it, very nice 2 stage that will adjust just about to any setting you want including making it a single stage.

I had one Remington trigger that jumped around on pull weights after adjustment. No amount of trickery would make it consistent. Replaced it with a Shilen and moved on. Some examples can be adjusted wonderfully. I have a couple done by GAP and they are excellent. If you get one that is jumping all around, replace it and move on. Seems like the older models were better foundations than the newer ones.

These are just my recomendation, and other opinions will vary and be just as valid.

I like Timney, their customer service has impressed me, and I really like their triggers.

I am also a fan of JARD, and you could even buy one of their upgrade kits for your current trigger.

Finally I haven't used one yet, but Huber gets a ton of good responses, and I have been wanting to try one of theirs.

Hope that helps

Dave

I will look into Huber, heard good things about it too.
Ombre noire

If you use to your 2 stage TRG you might want to check out the CG Jackson trigger. I have one and love it, very nice 2 stage that will adjust just about to any setting you want including making it a single stage.

I forgot about these, I looked into it a while ago for a friend of mine whom had trigger issues too. He went with a Jewell so I never got to shoot the CG Jackson; was kind of hoping he would go for the CG, as I really wanted to try it.
Ombre noire

I had one Remington trigger that jumped around on pull weights after adjustment. No amount of trickery would make it consistent. Replaced it with a Shilen and moved on. Some examples can be adjusted wonderfully. I have a couple done by GAP and they are excellent. If you get one that is jumping all around, replace it and move on. Seems like the older models were better foundations than the newer ones.

I wouldn't doubt it; so were cars, fridges and everything in between.
Ombre noire