• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Trigger & Barrel ? for a model 70 300 Win Mag

Bozcoyote

Private
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2011
Redmond Utah
I got this plain Model 70 I want to make it into a 800+yd shooter.
So far I have bought a Choat Tac stock and a Bushnel Elite tac 6-24X50 scope.
So my ? is what kind of trigger setup would suit me good for this rifle I have not had much to do with 300wms or Model 70s so I would like to know some personal opions from people who do .
Id like my trigg to be in the 12oz-2 lb range.
and I need a Barrel I have the stock barrel on it and yea it may be fine its a 24-26" one of the two with about 100 round through it .
Should I scrape and go with a heavy contor barrel like a -well thats another ? what kind should I get?
I am not going to spend alot on this gun just want a good shootin gun for a lower price
Thanks any info will be appreciated

Re: Trigger & Barrel ? for a model 70 300 Win Mag

I have a M70 chambered in .300 Win Mag. The rifle shoots well. The barrel is a surplus Browning M1919 part. The trigger Ihave in it is a Jewell trigger. I think I wasted my money on the trigger. It is light and breaks clean,but my purposes would have been better served with the factory trigger still installed.

Good Luck-

van

Jewell trigger is the way to go, my factory M70 trigger is horrible. The other weapons I own that have Jewell triggers are Awesome.

My M70 will have a Jewell like the rest soon. I feel they are worth the cost.

As far as a barrel, you have a lot of good choices these days. Although I am Very partial to Kreiger barrels as I have had very good results with them.

But several others can provide a great barrel also, Bartlein, Oberymere, ect....

I have a Bartlein barrel. It is great, but like the post above said there are lots of great barrels to choose from. As far as a trigger, a properly worked over factory Win trigger is really hard to beat.

Where is a good place or places to have a Factory trigger worked over ?

Also like I said im a small cal guy biggest call ive ever owned here.
I plan on target shootin the gun few times a year with the once a year Elk hunt also in store for the gun.
What grain of bullet and twist of barrel do guys prefer?
Like I said its going to be a up to a 800yd gun

Take you rifle mount a Nightforce 3.5X15 on it, in badger rings and base, load it with match grade ammunition and shoot it at 800 yards. Not that difficult.

Now if you want to change parts to change them, go for it.

Good luck

Jerry

Call Georgia Precision and ask them what they can do for you.

I'm sure you'd want to have the action trued and bedded which they do, and do well.