• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trigger for new build?

Steve Petty

Private
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2012
just about finished with my first Ar build. It's a Mega Maten with a 16 inch key mod hand guard,JP Lmos high pressure bolt.JP recoil buffer,and a proof cam gas 24 inch 6.5 creedmoor Carbon barrel. All my shooting has been behind bolt rifles with 2.5# or lighter single stage triggers. There are so many options out there that I have no clue. Just mainly a bench queen. No 3 Gun,leo,or anything like that. Seems confusing when most people recommend geiselle,but they are 3.5 #'s or heavier. What do you guys like?
Also need a gas block,looking at SLR with set screws but barrel has one dimple in it,and SLR pics look like they have 2 sets crews. Sorry if these are stupid questions,just sayin'
Thanks, Steve Petty

You are spot on with a SLR adjustable gas block and I would highly recommend looking at the AR gold trigger for your large frame build..The break on the AR Gold Trigger is perfect every time... The Geissele not so much.

I just built a nice grendel for a friend and had the most difficult time selecting the trigger. I only used single stage triggers in semis and bolt actions (Jewel HVR). I've always wanted to try out an Ar gold but couldn't justify the price. I picked up my go to trigger for all my AR's for him which is a Hiperfire 24C. Clean single stage that is 2ibs or so. Increased firing pin force, 2 pound trigger and $190 is a tough combo for me not to recommend.

I do still want to tryout a Ar gold tho.

I'd recommend the Geissele SSA-E. 2# 1st stage 1.5# 2nd stage with very crisp consistent let off. Second choice the AR Gold trigger.

I will dissent - and state that the TriggerTech was my favorite trigger of all time, and every experienced person I have run into said WOW!. Had the larue, Geiselle, and a few other match ones. Nothing compared to the TT.

I have more geissele triggers than any other, Geissele Super 3 Gun is my fav, but Wilson Combat are maybe a bit better. SLR AGB are great. Hopefully you will get it completed soon and tell us how awesome it is. Funny, I've only had AR types, including factory SBR's, 308 AR's 9mm AR's and 20" AR's, lets just say I have AR's, and now I'm waiting on a bolt action build (I'm lefty) and I am as excited for this bolt gun as I was to get my first SBR. 3 months lol, not that bad.
Anyway, I'd say Geissele or Wilson Combat. If you like single stage, the Super 3 gun or one of the Wilsons will make you happy.

Scott

In my ARs (2 AR15s and one AR10) I have a JP, a Geissele High Speed National Match, and a HYPERTOUCH 24 3G. I really can't tell the difference between the JP and the 24 3G; both are great. The Geissele in my AR10 in 260 Rem, oddly enough, has quite a bit of take-up. When I have a few extra bucks, it will be replaced with another 24 3G.

As always, YMMV and I'm sure someone will say my 'smith didn't adjust the Geissele correctly, despite his long experience with them.

Cheers,
Richard

Geissele Hi-Speed Match and Superlatve Arms Adjustable Gas Bleed-off Clamping GB. Geissele is a two-stage hence the long take-up vs a 24G is a single-stage. If you want zero "take-up" go with an Elftmann as it is an adjustable single-stage with the least creep and shortest reset.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of the Geissele SSA-E, but then again I'm a fan of two stage triggers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Geissele SSA-E in my 6.5CM AR and I like it. Have said that, I have shot my buddies 6.5CM AR with a Geissele National Match installed. I much prefer his trigger to mine. Just my opinion.

I absolutely love the AR-Gold in my AR-10. I've got quite a few Geiselle triggers in other AR's (SSA, SSA-E, SD3G) and a single stage Hiper-fire in one. The AR-gold is perfect for a long range gun. I tend to prefer single stage triggers but the first stage on the gold is so light that it doesn't bother me. The thing I really like over the Geissele is if you ride the reset, the Gold becomes a single stage while the Geissele resets as a 2 stage every time. If you come all the way off the Gold it becomes a 2 stage again. Awesome for fast follow up shots.

Wound up with a geiselle ssa-e because a local shop had one,and got the SLR gas block. Proof carbon barrel fits loosely in the mega upper. Kinda disappointed. Guess I will learn how to shim a barrel. Looks like a bitch to do with barrel receiver down inside handgaurd extension.