• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Trigger for POF 308...need some knowledge

ggmanning

Bird Dog
Minuteman
  • Apr 23, 2010
    Rural South
    I am looking for a replacement trigger for my POF 308. The stock trigger is nice with no creep but is set at an unadjustable 4.5# I am using this gun for shooting steel/practice up to 700yds. I want to get closer to the lighter triggers on my bolt guns that are all 2# or less. Please give some recommendations to brand. I want single stage if that is possible and still be safe in an AR platform at a light pull weight. Suggestions?

Re: Trigger for POF 308...need some knowledge

JARD offers a couple different single-stage trigger options in the 1.5-2lb range for the AR-10, but I am not sure about compatibility with the POF (worth a call to them to find out if you are interested).

Personally, going that light...I would look toward a 2-stage trigger. I have had excellent results from my Geissele triggers, including the one in my POF, and I wouldn't look anywhere else! With a two-stage, you can get VERY light on the second stage without sacrificing safety/reliability! The DMR (my favorite of the adjustable units), can go as low as between 0.5lbs-1.5lbs on the second stage. Even the non-adjustable Geissele triggers are set to give a light second stage pull. The SSA has a 2.5lb first stage and a 2.0lb second stage. The SSA-E on the other hand has a 2.3lb first stage and only a 1.2lb.

Thanks ORD. Maybe I need to lean towards a 2 stage in this set up. The POF will take any small pin trigger group. I have never used a 2 stage trigger....will I have issues switching between my bolts and the POF with a 2 stage? I would guess it is a discernable difference between the 1st and 2nd stage.....you feel the heavier first stage and then it lightens before it breaks?

Just because the POF can ACCEPT any small pin trigger unit doesn't mean that it will function properly with it. JARD and other mfgs have issues sometimes working 100% in every 308 pattern AR. Thus, if you go that route, you should check with JARD before you drop the money on one to ensure that they have been found to work 100% in the POF rifles.

In terms of the operation of a 2-stage trigger...it has two portions that can be felt during trigger pull. Below is a description, but my advice is to find someone in your area that has a 2-stage trigger equipped AR and get behind it (if for nothing else than some dry firing). They can take some getting used to...especially if you are used to nothing by single-stage bolt action triggers.

Basically, the first stage of a 2-stage trigger has a much longer, generally heavier travel than the second stage. The first stage is normally called take-up (and some other synonyms) but should not be confused with creep or other slop in the trigger. At the end of the first stage, you'll experience a definite stop. This is the beginning of the second stage. At this point, you have "staged" the trigger and are ready to engage the second stage and fire. The trigger essentially works like a single stage trigger at this point. You should have a crisp, clean break with a light, 2lb or less pull depending on the particular trigger.

gg: Rather than give you my opinion about triggers which is not my field of expertise I've cited you a primary source of information. This gentleman's field of expertise does though, in fact, include AR triggers. Enjoy, and good shooting.

http://www.zediker.com/articles/AR_triggers.pdf

In other words, ORD is right on the money.

OK...good description. POF recommends a Gisselle. I will look further into them. Thanks

I have Timneys in my .223 and .308 POF rifles and I really like them. They function great. Always goes boom when trigger pulled.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have Timneys in my .223 and .308 POF rifles and I really like them. They function great. Always goes boom when trigger pulled. </div></div>

+1 for Timneys.

I will add another vote for the Timney AR triggers as being an excellent option for a single stage unit for any AR. They are crisp, clean and reliable...BUT...they do NOT meet the OP's requirement of "2[lbs] or less." The lightest Timney available for the AR-10s is 4lbs and 3lbs for AR-15s.

Appreciate all the input. After looking into all of the above I am going with ORD's recommendation of th Gisselle. 2 stage is the only way I can get a final pull of 2# or less. Now to decide exactly which model. I am going to measure my bolt guns and then match that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Appreciate all the input. After looking into all of the above I am going with ORD's recommendation of th Gisselle. 2 stage is the only way I can get a final pull of 2# or less. Now to decide exactly which model. I am going to measure my bolt guns and then match that. </div></div>

Good choice. I run the lighter weight non adjustable in 1 one my ARs and it is almost as good as the adjustable unit.

I just installed a Wilson Combat TTU single stage in my POF 415 lower I'm building. It's advertised 4lb but my Lyman digital gauge has consistant 2.5lb pull. IMHO better than the Bill Springfield tuned JP I've got installed on my DPMS. After this build, I'll get another TTU for the DPMS LR308. Lighter pull, super clean break, no creep whatsoever.

Sorry if I am side tracking this a bit.

How durable is the pof Timney trigger . When I went to a gun store where I bought my pof 415-18, they commented on how they loved the gun but the trigger spring is know to break more then normal, they did comment on pof will fix it with no problem. Just wondering if anyone had the trigger spring fail?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rubberducky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry if I am side tracking this a bit.

How durable is the pof Timney trigger . When I went to a gun store where I bought my pof 415-18, they commented on how they loved the gun but the trigger spring is know to break more then normal, they did comment on pof will fix it with no problem. Just wondering if anyone had the trigger spring fail?

</div></div>

I never had an issue out of my POF trigger.

check out the new geissele triggers i just picked one u=p. they have great reviews

I have been using the Geissele trigger also without any issues. Very nice trigger. Big upgrade from the POF trigger it came with. Liked it so much put one on my AR15 also.

you cannot go wrong with anything made by Geissele. Bill is a mad genius and make a amazing trigger