• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Trigger for rem 700 (no serious smithing)

ramseyzoo

Private
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2011
Joplin, MO
i have a rem 700 long action in 338 LM in a manners t4 stock with badger m5 bottom metal and would like to change the trigger from a X mark pro to another, was thinking timney. this rifle will not be babied and i think a jewel trigger is out.

anyway, would like suggestions on triggers that do not require gunsmithing.

thanks
Brad

Re: Trigger for rem 700 (no serious smithing)

A Timney is about a 15 minute install. You can even order them at a pre-set pull weight through Timney. Adjusting the pull is a snap, however.

that's good to hear. hopefully no inletting of the stock required to fit properly.

The only ones I can remember reading about needing to be cut for was Jewel triggers, and that might be only one particular model Jewel(not sure).

Make sure you get a trigger with the bottom bolt release unless your stock is cut for a side bolt release.

ok, my action has a side bolt release, hopefully this will not be a problem. i did not see an option for a timney with no bottom bolt release.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ramseyzoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok, my action has a side bolt release, hopefully this will not be a problem. i did not see an option for a timney with no bottom bolt release.
</div></div>

just take the trigger bolt release off and you'll be good to go. you <span style="font-style: italic">may</span> need to file part of a pin on the trigger safety mechanism if it hits the stock. i know it is needed on a timney in an aics. i'm not sure about other stocks/inlets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ramseyzoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have a rem 700 long action in 338 LM in a manners t4 stock with badger m5 bottom metal and would like to change the trigger from a X mark pro to another, was thinking timney. this rifle will not be babied and i think a jewel trigger is out.

anyway, would like suggestions on triggers that do not require gunsmithing.

thanks
Brad </div></div>

I had the x mark junk in my 700, took it out, installed timney. Probably the best thing I did to that rifle--took about 20 minutes to install.

I have three different Timney triggers in three different types of guns and like all of them. Two preset and one adjustable.

i have a timney on order from Timney , preset at 2.5 pounds, should be here jan 24. i'm ready

Good choice, simple install, I had to shave a little (2min with a pocket knife) material off of my factory stock in front of the trigger, didn't have to do anything to my B&C.

Timney is a good choice. With its wide trigger shoe, you may have to shave the trigger shoe a little to prevent it rubbing on the bottom metal. I have had 2 with the M5 that had to be shaved, and others that fit without mods.

If you order direct from Timney, they have a narrower trigger shoe that you can get with it. Ask for the specs on the 510U (I believe that's the part #) for the shoe width.

You could also look at the Shilen, but be sure to get the safety kit to go with it. They come without the safety lever and components.

to put the trigger in, you just have to use a hammer and thin punch to drive out the two pins holding the x-mark in place. you punch through the front pin through the trigger, then the back. My action does not have the side bolt release, so I had to use needlenose pliers to place the wing of the trigger in the bolt stop notch ... seems to me that you won't need to do anything like that and your install job will be over in ~ 5 minutes!

I just did another one of these yesterday myself. Comes with directions. The trigger is wider than Remington so you may have to file the bottom metal just a little. Easy cheesy.

SP

installed a timney 510 in my 700. super easy, 10 minute job. The factory stock I had to inlet a little for it. when I switched to the new stock no inletting was required.

The Timney is a good product, but personally, I don't like the Timney due to the wide trigger lever. Some like it wide and that's OK, but not me. For my $$ the Shilen trigger is the way to go. Which ever you use, made sure your safety lever is not blocking the retaining pin when you drive it out. It is an easy mistake and will result in a broken safety.

in replacing the X Mark, you will need a new safety. Look at the Rifle Basic safety kit, it works perfectly.

+1 on the Timney. I have a 510 in my Rem 700 with a B&C Medalist A2 stock and factory bottom metal. No trimming required, nor any other issues with the wide trigger shoe. I read a lot of negative comments about the width but was relieved to find that it didn't bother me. I only have 60 rounds on it, but as far as I can see, the only downside is the inability to adjust the pull weight without having to remove the action from the stock.

My X-Mark Pro was extremely clean with no creep, but too heavy even with the adjustment screw backed out. The Timney is very clean as well, and now much lighter. Great bang for the buck.

thanks guys
just got my timney in and I'm gonna install it very soon.