• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trigger Opinions

Stinger78

Private
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2012
Hey guys. Looking for some opinions on triggers. I'm thinking about ordering a Crusader from GA Precision and was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on upgrading to the Jewel ( lits like a $280 upgrade) vs the tuned Remy that comes standard. I'd be doing a few other mods like adding an adjustable cheek and threading the barrel, so the build price is really climbing. Any Crusader owners out there, I'd love to hear your opinions!

Not sure if this helps or not, but I just installed a Timney 510 on my XCR Compact tactical & it is a fantastic trigger. I swapped out the X-Mark Pro because I hate the Allen screw adjuster touching my trigger finger. This trigger is night & day better than the X-Mark Pro.

Absolutely! Jewell triggers have a place, but it is not on a field rifle. My personal choice is a Shilen Competition, but I still have several Timneys.

Agreed.

Additionally, I just prefer the crisp break of the Timney over the Jewell. The Jewel is able to go very light safely but they have a very vague feel about them that I dont care for.

If you prefer a thinner trigger shoe, give the Shilen a hard look. I had GAP install one on my last build and have been very pleased with it. Breaks clean and no issues through sand, mud, clay, ect. Timney also makes a thin shoe which I am giving a go on my current build.

Timneys are great, but my favorite is a Huber 2-stage if you can find it.

The build I'm starting now is from Spartan, and Marc and I were discussing triggers the other day. I wanted a safe and RELIABLE trigger in a realistic "field" weight of 2-3lbs and the Timney was what he recommended and I wholeheartedly agreed to. The Jewells tend to be favored by guys that want to take a trigger down to ounces. Lowlight and a couple of other guys had a pretty good discussion on issues they'd seen with Jewells that had been dialed too low on "field" rifles.

Jewell triggers have a very crisp clean break but the literally break easily.
I love high end shooting equipment but a well tuned Remington trigger is still a very good, strong trigger. That said, I just installed a two stage Huber Trigger on a Surgeon. The first stage light but very tactile, the second stage breaks crisp and as nice as any Jewell but they are made from tool steel and are tough as nails.