• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Trigger pull for beginner... how low to go? (40X trigger)

nuclear_shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2013
My 700 police pulls around 3.2 lbs. I know a lot of beginners are tempted to go as low as they can go with the trigger pull because it will reduce some of the problems beginners often have with trigger pull (muscling the gun while their pulling et cetera). My rifle has a 40X trigger, so adjustment is easy (don't even need to remove the stock). What do you guys thing a good trigger pull to start out with is? Secondly, how low can you take the 40X trigger *safely* (no cutting coils off the spring et cetera)?

Personally, I think that a new shooter needs to learn how to manage a "usable" trigger pull - say something with a crisp let-off in the 3.5-4.5lb range. There is no reason that such a trigger cannot be managed by a newbie with the appropriate amount of dry-fire.

Personally, I think that a new shooter needs to learn how to manage a "usable" trigger pull - say something with a crisp let-off in the 3.5-4.5lb range. There is no reason that such a trigger cannot be managed by a newbie with the appropriate amount of dry-fire.

+1

4 pounds is the minimum for high power matches and it works fine for accuracy.

I shot matches for many years with a 40x set at 4.0 pounds and have tried triggers down to .7 pounds and found that it was actually to light
for my type of hunting. I finally settled on 2.2 to 2.5 for all of my hunting rifles.

I recommend if you are going this light you need to buy a Jewell trigger because of the extra link inside (It makes it much safer)

I like the 40x trigger best of all the factory triggers but you can get it to light and have premature sear release.

The lightest I would try on the 40x would 3 pounds, and would recommend slamming the bolt several times to make sure it is not to light.

Just My experience.

J E CUSTOM

Well, its set just around 3 lbs, don't see any reason to go any lower if you guys don't. I was eventually considering the Timney trigger as an eventual upgrade, but for now I'm going to save my pennies for a new gun.

You can that little adjustment screw in the 40X all they way out.....completely. I found very little difference in pull weight from the factory setting to removing the tension screw.

The pull weight on those 40X seem to be higher than advertised. Very inconsistent trigger pull with that adjuster screw in there - removing it helped and did nothing unsafe.

The adjustment screws tend to loosen up and fall out anyway once you adjust it from the original factory setting, unless you use thread locker or something.

Then when you get some extra cash - get yourself a Timney 510 w/safety. The factory setting is nice out of the box. Huge improvement over factory 40x, night/day difference. Easy install and they are rugged, consistent and reliable.

The very first firearm my son shot was my Anschutz Exemplar, course everybody knows that has a 9.85oz 2 stage trigger, he did very well with it for a 5 yr old, apparently it didnt spoil him, his AK47 & 74 have the typical AK triggers, and then his issue M4, too. He can shoot the hell out of all of them, Im very proud to say he was 2nd in his battalion in boot camp, missed high score by 1 point. Course I like my triggers in the OZs category, deer rifles around 2lbs.
c0tWnkg.jpg

Then when you get some extra cash - get yourself a Timney 510 w/safety. The factory setting is nice out of the box.

+1. I really like the way this trigger feels straight out of the package - it's just about perfect for all-around use.

The 40x externally adjustable trigger, not the 40x 2oz on some BRs they build, discussed at length a week or so ago, often stops adjusting around 3lbs. Remington told me not to take it below 3.5. Below that, the stock spring floats and you no longer get consistent sear engagement. This causes the trigger pull to vary which is worse in my opinion than a slightly heavier, consistent pull. An example is as you come on target and start to take the slack out of your joints, you will occasionally fire the gun before your breathing, heart etc. are stable. Or the sear doesn't seat at all and it drops the pin, or worse yet fires, as you close the bolt. A lighter but longer aftermarket spring should be used as they maintain constant pressure if you are going that route. I haven't tried stretching and clipping the stock spring. You shouldn't have any loose slop in the trigger, it should be under tension.

If you are going to try for the lightest pull with the 40x, pull the action and watch the sear engagement with a loop or optical micrometer thru the inspection hole in the trigger side plates. I think Remington should put a longer, lighter spring in there or not sell that trigger. Once adjusted, I would put a capped cartridge in it and drop the bolt a bunch of times quickly and hard. This way you will know if it fired without pulling the trigger each time you cycle the bolt. My 700 .300 win mag failed this test at 3lbs 3 oz. It made light primer strikes without pulling the trigger and fired once. At one point I could drop the pin just by rotating the bolt up and down while putting forward pressure on the bolt handle.

To me, giving a person a screw they can turn and cause a misfire is wrong.

Or purchase a Jewell, Timney, etc that easily drop below 12oz.

I personally like around 2 pounds. Some friends of mine like it, others talk s##t. I love it and thats all that matters. I have two custom built 700's. Both have an old remington trigger made way before the x mark pro. Not sure if theres a name for them. I just know there old and not x mark pro. Both triggers were tuned by Mark Gordon at Short Action Customs.

I have a Timney on my .308 Remington action.

It is adjusted to 1.5 pounds right now, and both my wife and I like it.

I was looking at some rifle courses and one prohibits "hair" triggers, less than 3 pounds. :rolleyes:

The weapon must be fully functional, have all factory-installed safety devices intact, and have no dangerous modifications (such as a “hair” trigger less than 4 pounds, removed trigger guard, etc.)

Last edited: