• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trigger replacement options

Pester

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2012
Northern CA
I need to replace the trigger on my Rem700 308 and the local shops have been recommending either the Jewell or Timney. The gun will get outside of the range a fair amount so I am looking for something that is smooth and crisp but will still handle some use out and about. Likely its 60% range and 40% non range use.

So far I am leaning towards the Timney however I am interested in others thoughts.

Thanks

I went ahead and bought a Huber Concepts.

It look a little longer than I was promised for delivery but that could be solved by buying from Midway as they have stock, but overall it is the single best Remington 700 replacement trigger I have used.

The reasoning behind that for me is due to the fact its a two stage. I very much value the two stage approach as it gives me the ability to 'hold' ready much easier and time the shot than a single stage. With practice it becomes a non issue, but I just like it better.

As a hunting gun, I prefer it too.

Mine was set to 2lbs, 1lb each stage.

I run the Jewell R HVR on my 700 308 @ ~1.5lbs, and love it. I like my trigger to break with only very light pressure. I can't speak regarding the others, but the Jewell is quick to adjust on the fly. I tighten it up slightly when hunting, and sometimes back it way out when target shooting. I think no matter what you go with though, you will be happy with the improvement over the factory part.

REMINGTON 700/40X & WIN M70 RIFLE TRIGGERS | Brownells

You should be able to install any trigger in the Rem 700. You will only need to remove your stock screws and knock two pins out of the factory trigger. Make sure you have a proper drift punch, as you will not want to mushroom the end of the pins.

I have both and would consider the stock a Festiva, tuned stock a Mustang, Timney a Mustang GT 500 Super Snake, and the Jewell a GT40. If your a car guy that may help.

Ryan

Thanks Ryan and that does help. My question is related to how the Jewell manages non range environments. I dont expect to throw it in the mud but the reality is its not always going to be in a case or under a cover at the range. Not sure I can go wrong with the upgrade regardless based on comments here.

I hunt with my jewell trigger, shoot it prone on top of light organic soil and have had no issues with it. Most of the moving components are essentially sealed inside of the trigger body.

How low are you going to go? 3.5# and above it's possible to make a Rem feel as good as the others. Below that you're pushing it. When you get close to a pound the jewel runs away from the pack. I stay above 3 and shoot my Remingtons as well as my Timneys or Jewell.

I use my jewells for hunting as well. Never had a problem. If you want the option to set them light the jewell would suit you well. I have timney triggers too. They are good. You can definitely improve your stock trigger but for the best precision a jewell is my choice. If you are not familiar with tuning triggers you should do your home work before you try modifying yours. It is not difficult but if not done properly the results can be dangerous. The last thing you want is your firearm discharging unexpectedly. Keep those muzzles pointed safe at all times!! It is common practice to flush the trigger with lighter fluid to clean.

Any other brands out there? I hear all this Jewell vs. Timney, does anyone else come close or are they the bread winners?

Single stage = Jewell
Two stage = CG Extreme

Of the two, I have come to prefer the CG Extreme

After trying the Jewell and Huber I went with the Huber 2 stage. In talking with John at Huber he mentioned that they have a SnipersHide 'group buy' link on the page that took the price to $265. Good customer service from them.

I have a Jewel set at 2.5 lbs, and I like it. Not sure if I would hunt with it at that pull weight, but that's just me. The gunsmith that installed it added a slight bit of take up to the pull, so it's like a mini-2 stage. I'm a big fan of 2 stage, so this was a change for me. I'm pretty sure you can add more take up (I think I'm calling that the right thing) to it and make it even more comparable to a 2 stage. I'm not sure what other effects that has though.

I am looking forward to getting it so I can throw it in. I cant honestly say I could appreciate the difference in the two that I tried even though I could tell the difference.

The two stage seems logical to me and with the old group buy they let me use it sort of sealed the deal....plus the good customer service I got from them

The recommendation was between 2-3.5 so I may bump it up higher.

I find Jewell triggers to let off "smoothly", but not crisply.

When set below (or well below) 1lb, it's fairly difficult to tell the difference between smooth and crisp, but there's still a difference.

I prefer "crisp".

I also prefer that my trigger doesn't crap out in the field - which my Jewell did. It was raining at ASC and all was well. Then the sun came out and everything started drying out - and my trigger quit releasing properly. Screw that.

I like Timney. Break cleanly and crisply and price is reasonable.

However, I'm on a CG Xtreme kick. I love a two stage and the CG is adjustable enough you can really set it how it feels nice to you. Plus, it lets off like a glass rod breaking.

No experience whatsoever with the Huber.

I have Jewells on my two Rem 700 actions, both set at about 1.5 lbs and really like them a lot for target, but may get my gunsmith to get them closer to 1 lbs. Don't see how you can get a much better trigger in the low $200 range.

Run Rifle basix, never had a problem, they work, priced well, lots of good triggers out there for a price, seen some Jewels go down at matches, seen others run for years with no problems