• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trigger thumb alongside stock or traditional/across the top?

Straight in behind the safety. Gives me a straight shot to the bolt. Even with a thumbhole or ar type grip it's still in the same place.

Whatever feels best to you.

I actually rest mine in between a side or top position, sort of at about 1 o'clock. It almost floats and exerts zero pressure on the stock … just resting there. Don't know if that's "right" or not, but that is what feels best to me WITH MY STOCK, and it's also how I shoot the best.

Doesn't matter. Hold the gun straight into the shoulder and bring the trigger straight to the rear

I started using the thumb over position, then gradually evolved into the aligned along the top position. My biggest problem is pulling back on the trigger, without squeezing it, sort of pulling the stock into the shoulder with the trigger. It's been a bear to stop that crap. I'm doing better, but find myself now and then doing it still.

I don't think there is a "right" way to do it, but what ever works for you, the results should show you the way.

You know, I think my reticence to put my thumb behind the bolt is related to not putting anything behind the slide in a semi-auto handgun. It just feels wrong. Probably why I'm moving into the one o'clock position. You know, just in case the bolt comes flying back...

Last edited:
You know, I think my reticence to put my thumb behind the bolt is related to not putting anything behind the slide in a semi-auto handgun. It just feels wrong.

I doubt it. Unless you're holding your shooting hand thumb along the side of your pistols. Never seen anyone do that, and can't see how the pistol would be controllable that way.

I tried it alongside and didn't like it at all.
Much prefer it lined up with safety over the top.

I doubt it. Unless you're holding your shooting hand thumb along the side of your pistols. Never seen anyone do that, and can't see how the pistol would be controllable that way.

I was referring to some of my basic pistol students getting lazy with the support hand and having their support thumb rise up behind the slide. I usually catch it, but one lady learned the hard way.

You know, I think my reticence to put my thumb behind the bolt is related to not putting anything behind the slide in a semi-auto handgun. It just feels wrong. Probably why I'm moving into the one o'clock position. You know, just in case the bolt comes flying back...

I would think that if the "bolt comes flying back" I would be more concerned with my face being back there than my thumb...ymmv.