• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trigger - Timney 510 vs Calvin Elite?

Hondo64d

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 12, 2006
The Big Country
I like my triggers set at 2 - 2.5 pounds so don't need the 8 oz. capability of the Calvin Elite. That being said, is there any additional advantage the Calvin Elite has over the 510 other than the light pull capability?

Thanks,

John

The trigger shoe is narrower and many comment that it breaks more like a Jewell. My Badger/ Sentinel build is getting a Calvin

If you don't need the light pull, stick with the normal Timney.

I heard a couple people had issues with their Calvin Elite triggers going down in a few PRS matches this year (really dusty conditions). I have a 510 and a Calvin Elite, and I like the feel and break of the Calvin Elite better, and I haven't had any reliability issues so far after a few matches. I really like my Calvin Elite, but if you don't need to go super light, it might be best to stick with the 510.

My 510 is set to 1.5lbs which I like but I've been told recently by some of my fellow shooters that it is too light(for tactical style shooting)... I really like my 510 with the straight shoe IMO it's perfect for my set up.

Last edited:
I can speak about the Calvin Elite, never used one. I/we have a few 510 triggers. Mine are set at 2 pounds, my wife's is set at 4 pounds. No complaints.

Good luck, NYH1.

I've had a few 510/510U and have a CE now. The only issue I've had with the CE I also had with one 510. The firing pin would ride forward as you locked the bolt if the safety wasn't completely forward after 100 rounds or so. I got the CE straightened out this weekend and I think it may have been the sear engagement changed a little for whatever reason. I had Clarence Hammond work it and it's back to where it should be. The 510 I sold to a buddy and I think that was the same issue. I like the feel of the shoe on the CE better than the 510, although I don't hate the 510. The CE does seem to be cleaner and I seem to do better with it but I'm sure that's the lighter pull masking some of my faults more than actually being better. I'm probably gonna keep a 510 around in case this thing fails. I don't really expect it to, but it has happened.

My 510 is set to 1.5lbs which I like but I've been told recently by some of my fellow shooters that it is too light(for tactical style shooting)... I really like my 510 with the straight shoe IMO it's perfect for my set up.

LOL I run my CE at 10 ounces....so that should blow their minds!

LOL I run my CE at 10 ounces....so that should blow their minds!

I didn't think it was that super light but I guess it all depends on preference and what you're use to... 1.5lb is perfect for me

I recently upgraded my 517 to the Calvin Elite, and wish I had done it a lot sooner. It breaks so much cleaner, and even if you dont like the 8oz like I run mine at from factory, you got everything you need between it and 2.5lbs. There is NO CREEP, just a smooth break and bam.

And I spoke to a representative of OTM who shot the match that people had trouble with the CE because of the dust storm, but on the same day, people was replacing jewells with the old 40x triggers they had for spares because it was just that bad of conditions. Anything is capable of failing, Jewell isnt the God of triggers.

I have several friends who will be buying CE's now that I have mine, and they have tested it, with just as good of results with spending $50 less.

I appreciate the responses. I've always been partial to Shilen triggers, but with the additional cost of an RB safety kit, I thought I'd try one of the Timneys.

John

Ha, after I have read tons of reviews between 510 and Calvin. I decided go for a Calvin. For me, it feels like a combination of Timney and Jewell. Hope this would help.

Last edited: