• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Trij Tripower or Aimpoint Comp M3??? I need help

TheWarEaglerShoot1st

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2011
Auburn, AL
I need a quality red dot to mount on my custom built 6.8 AR. Can't quite afford the Comp M4. I do intend to put a magnifier behind whatever red dot I choose, down the road when finances allow. However, right now I need to settle on a particular sight. I love Aimpoint's stuff, and the Comp M3 is in my price range. I can't seem to pull the trigger (pun intended) on the Aimpoint because I'm amazed by Trijicon's Tripower. What an awesome piece of equipement. I'm new to the hide and I was hoping for some input on either sight-Pro's & Con's- that could be helpful in my decision. Please let me know if there are any other red dots in the $500-$600 range that you would endorse and why.

Re: Trij Tripower or Aimpoint Comp M3??? I need help

Aimpoint Micro T-1 will be my next optic, small light and the battery lasts about 50,000 hours. I currently run Eo techs on all of my carbines. Watch the daniel defense torture test video.

Aimpoints are awesome. I've got a Comp M4 on a Socom 16 and its outstanding. Built like a tank, great battery life.

I've been running a Trijicon Tri-Power on my AR for a few years now.
Fantastic optic that is often over looked.
I honestly feel that the Tri-Power is one of those products that makes a significant impact on the performance potential of your weapon system.

Battery life is out of the argument with the Tri-Power.
The powered mode is almost never needed and using the fiber optic for lighting is optimal.
By using the fiber, the reticle brightness automatically changes to match the lighting conditions.
In fact, the only time I have used the battery powered mode whas on a night shoot when my eyes weren't quite adjusted to the dark yet.

One other HUGE advantage the Trijicon Tri-Power has over other systems is the chevron reticle.
Because it is so large, you can get on target much faster.
Since you use the tip of the chevron like you would a front sight post, it is more accurate than a dot sight because you do not have to cover the target.
TRIJICON-TriPower-Reflex-Sight-Tritium-Illuminated-Red-Chevron-Reticle-TX30-Pic3.jpg

The only reason I can think of to not go with the Tri-Power is if you are using it for use with NVGs or in an environment where you will be observed by NVGs.
The Tri-Power can be used with NVGs, but the problem it has is the fiber optic doughnut on top works in reverse at night.
Whatever light is used to light the reticle, (including tritium) is broadcast by the fiber.
Trijicon_Tri-Power_D_1.jpg

Trijicon now ships the Tri-Power with a cover to eliminate this issue, but unless you use electrical tape to seal it on, it should not be relied upon in a life & death situation.
Trijicon_Tri-Power_E_1.jpg

This is why you see the Tri-Power being marketed to the Law Enforcement Market and not the Military.

Hopefully this information will help you make an informed choice.

I agree with Dr. Phil. The TriPower is a fantastic and overlooked sight. I have yet to run one on my AR but have looked through many. The reticle is crisp bright. The only problem you might run into is using this sight with a magnifier. The reticle is 16.6 MOA across and 14.4 MOA in height. I have not tried it yet, but that might be kind of big.

Chase B.

Thanks for the info. I absolutely love the chevron reticle. That is the one feature that I think sets the Tripower apart from the Aimpoint. I also read somewhere that you can use the chevron as a ranging aid. The outside width of the base is roughly equal to a sillouette at 100 yds. The inside width of the base is equivilent to a sillouette at 200 yds. Pretty Nifty. Aimpoint's reputation is sterling, and deservedly so. I'm still not sure, but I think you guys have swayed me to the Tripower. We'll see. Anybody know of a used Tripower for sale?

Both the scopes you are looking at are great sights and very bulett prof. Ihave made a mo0ve to the Trijicon reflex sight in a Larue mount or off set at the one oclock posistion and run my Night force 2-10-24 and that set up is what I carry on Patrol on top of my mk18 Noveske this is in My opion a great choice. the Aim point T1 is in your price range and a very good optic, i would go towards the smaller lighter optic when using a magnifire with the sight.

Ask anyone at Trijicon. The Tri-Power is their "spruce goose" and they are happy to let it fade away.

Go with the proven Aimpoint M3 platform. You'll never look back.

check out SKD tactical. I think they were running a sale on Comp M3s a while ago. Personally, for a 6.8 I would put on a 1-4x or powerful scope, but that is just me

Of course if one can live with a 3 year battery life instead of 5, the Aimpoint Pro is less money (usually arpound $400).