• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Triji. TR23 w/Amber chevron as precision optic?

Big Phil

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2012
I've been reading and studying up on optics to try and figure out what new scope I want on my 700. I can't see myself shooting past 500 regularly, although I would like to. I'm currently using a mil dot reticle but have never milled a target, I just use my rangefinder. I see the validity in mil dots I just don't use them. So my question for those of you who have higher quality optics, would you recommend the triangle chevron for a "precision" rifle. The reason I'm leaning to this reticle is because I believe the tip of the chevron would aid in precise aiming. Specifically I'm looking at the 5-20x50 with the 30mm tube, I have a 20 MOA mount so I'm not worried about limited elevation.

Good topic...I've considered one of those over one of the crosshair models, but I keep telling myself I need mil-dots or a BDC style reticle for longer ranges.

I have a Trijicon 3-9x40 with the red triangle/post reticle on a little 14.5" AR that I use for shooting critters (coyotes, racoons getting into animal building, etc.) out to 200 yards or so. I could easily dial it in to get me out to 300-400, but have never needed to.
2013-NOVESKEweb3_zps7d4d0609.jpg

You're correct, though - the tip of the triangle does give you a precise aiming point, yet the triangle is large enough that you can pick it up like a red dot for closer/faster shots. Pretty ingenious compared to a circle when you think about it. At "point blank" distances (50-200 yards for .223) it's like having a magnified red-dot when you want it to be, but you can still use the tip of that triangle for longer, more precise shots.

The only thing that concerns me with this reticle is that there are no horizontal lines, so it's gonna be harder trying to compensate for a moving target (when you can't dial for windage because you don't have time). It's not too bad at the distances I'm shooting...still have no problem bagging a running coyote at 100 yds, but I don't know if I'd be good enough to eyeball that shot at 300.

Good input, thanks. Also nice rifle. I have it's cousin.

u3ezedev.jpg

Sorry for the crappy picture.

My wife has the Trijicon 1-4X with the green triangle. She is deadly on clay pigeons out to 250 or so. She runs a KAC SR-15 with a GG&G mount. I can't find a pic at the moment. J

I think the tip of the chevron would be fine. I don't think it will do anything a regular crosshair wouldn't, but I'd say its fine.