• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Trijicon 1-8 or Prim. Arms Plat. 1-8

hitman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2004
Tampa, FL
If you to pick between these two scopes which would pick and why? I have played with the Trijicon 1-8 and it seems pretty awesome but the PA Plat. series 1-8 has also gotten great reviews. They cost within 100 of each other so price is about a wash. I am leaning towards the Trijicon because I feel they have more of a history. I tried to search and did not find much if it has be discussed. Thanks

If you to pick between these two scopes which would pick and why? I have played with the Trijicon 1-8 and it seems pretty awesome but the PA Plat. series 1-8 has also gotten great reviews. They cost within 100 of each other so price is about a wash. I am leaning towards the Trijicon because I feel they have more of a history. I tried to search and did not find much if it has be discussed. Thanks
From what I understand they are essentially one in the same both made by LOW in Japan I have the PA Plat 1-8 with the ACSS reticle and its been a great scope so far. If the Trijicon had the ACSS reticle I might have gotten it just to have the Trijicon name behind it, but I really like the ACSS reticle way better than the reticle that comes in the Trijicon 1-8.

Meh... I know its not the answer you're looking for, but as someone who owns the Trij 1-8, if I were you I'd save a bit more and get a Nightforce... Seriously...

Meh... I know its not the answer you're looking for, but as someone who owns the Trij 1-8, if I were you I'd save a bit more and get a Nightforce... Seriously...

This. I have both. Currently selling an NX8 because I have too many 1-X scopes.

I kind of forgot about the NF. I know some people complain that the center dot is too large but the NF manual says it is only .35 mils

I kind of forgot about the NF. I know some people complain that the center dot is too large but the NF manual says it is only .35 mils

Yeah it was too big for what I was hoping to use one for so settled on the 2.5-10x24 for my latest build.

.35 Mils at 100 yards is over 1.25 inches. So zeroing and shooting tight groups would be tricky.

They are very easy to zero and shoot well. Don't put it on a benchrest gun and there will be no issues.

I know I'm the Burris guy, so take it for what it's worth.. I don't often jump in and suggest another brand on a post of this nature, because that's not what you asked, but sometimes it's worth saying.

I'm not a fan of the reticle on the Trijicon. It seems out of place on an LPV. The PA Platinum is a nice scope, I shoot with a guy who has one. But the funny thing is, neither of those scopes offer anything over the Burris 1-8. The Burris is also made by LOW in Japan, has a 34mm tube, daylight bright illumination, true 1x magnification, a choice between First or Second focal plane, a choice between capped or uncapped mil turrets, very good glass, and quite honestly, I think the reticle is more functional than your both your other choices. It comes with an unconditional lifetime warranty. The people that own them speak very well of them.

To top it off, it's $200 to $300 less money than either of those optics. So there's my two bits. Again, take it for what it's worth.

I picked a "blem" PA 1-8 Platinum a few weeks ago at a nice discount. Put it through it through its paces yesterday shooting it out to 300, 400 and 500 meters with my M4 using SMK 69 grainers. Zero'ed at 50 yards then tweaked it at the 300 meter range, the ACSS reticle easily adapted and the 5 MPH wind holds are spot on. Glass, illumination, turret tracking all GTG. Only my first outing with it but its a keeper IMHO.

Reactions: VegasHKShooter
Great insight and i appreciate it for sure! So, yes if you have liked other scopes as much or more it helps. I had not even thought about the Burris. I did look at the NF 1-8 and that ranks up there. I think I would want the reticle that comes in the ATRAC instead but it is also another 1k more!

I have owned most of the scopes being discussed here. I can offer my opinion: all are nice in this price point.....because they are all the same scope, basically. They are all made by LOW in Japan. Same scope with slight tweaks that each company specs. I currently have the PA Platinum on a 16” gasser. It’s a fantastic scope. Excellent glass for the money. Between the PA and the Trijicon, I’m a fan of the ACSS reticle. It is SUPER accurate in its drops, and the reticle allows you to range unknown distance targets very well. There is a range line in the scope, and the horizontal lines at the different distances are scaled to be 18” at the given distances. 18” is the “average” width of an adult male across the shoulders. So it lets you range standing, OR if you can only make out shoulder width, you can range using that. VERY accurate for “minute of man” hits out to 600 or so. The Burris is also a good scope, it should be....it’s almost identical. The reticle is different, and idk if it does quota as much as the PA ACSS, but it’s not bad.

Once you step into the NightForce, you’re changing gears in all categories. Better glass, better illumination, durability that is insane (not that I ever broke my PA or my XTRII) just saying that I would take my NX8 or ATACR 1-8 to hell and back and never worry. The center dot in the reticle on both of the NF offerings is a little bit large for true “precision” work, as it’s a BIT over 1moa. However, it’s red dot fast up close, and VERY capable of hitting bad people doing bad things out to the limits of a 1-8 capabilities. The NX8 has a smaller eye box, that’s to be expected with a 1-8 that is smaller than many 1-4’s though. I have zero trouble running my NX8 every bit as fast as my Aimpoint T2 up close, but the ability to flip it over to 6 or 8, lay down, flip out the bi-pod legs and shoot to 600yds is amazing. Also, if you hold for distance, say 5mils at 600yds, you’re using smaller lines than the big center dot, and precision gets a little easier. Center dot is 0-200yds, hold after that.

You can’t make a bag decision on all these scopes, IF it were me.....wait....I did this......save for the NX8. You won’t regret it.

I found selecting a good 1-8 a difficult process. Something about paying $1300+ for a 1-8 I personally find repulsive. That being said we all know what we get for 3 -4 hundred dollar budget optic in this category! Putting aside the budget categories, stacks up like this IMO. You have the Burris, PA and Trijicon bunched up at that 1100 to 1400 price range. Next up, a sub-upper tier at 1700 to 2000 (NF NX8 & Khales as examples), then complete insanity after that!

Sounds like its worth it to some to go upper end, but for myself can't go there. It's not that I can't financially, I just refuse to. Maybe I'm in denial or the fact that have not spend any time behind the tier 1 stuff. Time will tell if I'm just being a tight-wad or the value is just not there.

Reactions: GhostFace
The Value is Absolutely not there. But it is what it is . If you want the best you gotta eat it.

I found selecting a good 1-8 a difficult process. Something about paying $1300+ for a 1-8 I personally find repulsive. That being said we all know what we get for 3 -4 hundred dollar budget optic in this category! Putting aside the budget categories, stacks up like this IMO. You have the Burris, PA and Trijicon bunched up at that 1100 to 1400 price range. Next up, a sub-upper tier at 1700 to 2000 (NF NX8 & Khales as examples), then complete insanity after that!

Sounds like its worth it to some to go upper end, but for myself can't go there. It's not that I can't financially, I just refuse to. Maybe I'm in denial or the fact that have not spend any time behind the tier 1 stuff. Time will tell if I'm just being a tight-wad or the value is just not there.

I think there may be a misunderstanding here. The 1-8's, at the top end of the market, like the NX8 and the ATACR, were not actually designed for civilians. I include the NX8, even though it is $1000 less, because it is really a different capability than the ATACR, and excels in a different role.

When your job is to be able to engage fast and accurately at room distance, but also make it across the city or mountain, the 1-8 is a purpose built solution that works. Most guys simply prefer a 1X for the close speed, so you have to limit the upper end at this time. I have no issue with a 2.5 for close speed, so my upper limit is 10X.

The value is there, but maybe not for casual shooters.

Reactions: VegasHKShooter
I think there may be a misunderstanding here. The 1-8's, at the top end of the market, like the NX8 and the ATACR, were not actually designed for civilians. I include the NX8, even though it is $1000 less, because it is really a different capability than the ATACR, and excels in a different role.

When your job is to be able to engage fast and accurately at room distance, but also make it across the city or mountain, the 1-8 is a purpose built solution that works. Most guys simply prefer a 1X for the close speed, so you have to limit the upper end at this time. I have no issue with a 2.5 for close speed, so my upper limit is 10X.

The value is there, but maybe not for casual shooters.

The Value is not there. The Capability sure. I mean I get it. Red dot speed. 8x "precision" and the Real Check Mark.. NV capable. But for 1500 on an Semi Auto I think the LCO/DEVO is the better Value.

Last edited:
The one thing I do find interesting about the NX8 is its size. I have a PVS 30 NV clipon that is just a bear to use with long optics. Can barely reach the focus ring and totally screws up the balance of the gun. Been thinking about this scope for that use case. Lots of ways to assess value depending on needs!

I ordered the Burris XTR ll yesterday after a lot off reading and following Birddog6424’s advice. I haven’t looked trough either one of these 1x8 scopes but think for $949 including PEPR mount and FastFire3 you can’t go wrong....
https://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-1-5-8-28mm-illum-riflescope.html

I ran the 1.5-8 on my 3 gun rifles for a couple years. I really liked the scope. I had no issue with 1.5x at close range, and you won't either. Especially since it also has an offset red dot on that package, you will rarely have it dialed under 3x.

That's definitely a lot of bang for the buck in that package at that price. It should treat you good!

I have a PA Platinum with the mil reticle and I love it. The only thing I don't like about it is the weight. I'll probably eventually sell it and move to a Kahles 1-6 or maybe try out that new Athlon Cronus.

That is a very nice package, just be aware, the 1.5-8 is a Philippine made optic while the 1-8 is a Japanese made optic.
I was biting my tongue, but... No... No... Its not... Maybe it was, before there were better options... But now, 2018... 1.5x - x , really? Ever stop to think there might be a reason Optics P (never the best value. ..) is packaging them that way: mount (questionable value) offset RDS ( again questionable ... I've never never understood why run a 1.xx with an offset RDS?) There are so many better 1-xx options today. No way I'd spend my money that way today. YMMV, of our course, ?.

Last edited:
Same here plong! Watched the discussion of a particular brand (that had nothing to do with the OP's question!) lead to a less than optimal recommendation given the current market offerings.

I know It is not a fair comparison at all, but yesterday I was able to compare side by side the Trijicon 1-8 with an older S & B. I can say they are not even the same ballpark. The Schmidt is so clear and vivid it is almost weird compared to the Trijicon and the field of view on 1 seemed larger in the S and B. I know, like I said, it is not an apples to apples comparison when you compare a 2800 scope to a 1200 scope!

What I would like to compare side by side would be the 1-8 NF and the 1-8 NF ATACR. I prefer the reticle in the newer model but not sure it is worth 1k over the regular 1-8.

Isn’t that usually the case when Birddog pokes his head into a conversation that has nothing to do with Burris?

Haha..., come on.. I don't derail EVERY thread... ;) in all fairness I didn't recommend the 1.5-8. I recommended the 1-8, which in all honesty is as good a scope as the ones the OP was asking about, for less money. I'm pretty sure everyone on this forum who owns one would agree (reading through you will see some that have). So it's a good suggestion that I quite clearly eased into without being obnoxious or overbearing.

I also mentioned it's rare for me to chime in on a thread and suggest a Burris where the Burris isn't part of the question. I do pretty good at staying in my own lane. I know it gives the perception I only talk about Burris, because I mostly chime in on the Burris related articles and rarely any others. I just don't think it seems fair to offer my opinion on other products if I don't have experience with them. It's also unfair of me to offer criticisms of other brands, even if I do have experience with them. It just doesn't look right.. So I have less latitude to play on this forum than some of you without looking like a jerk.

There are a lot of great folks in Greeley and Burris is a good company. They support me so I support them as best I can in return. And I try to do that without annoying all you fellas who also have your brands that you like. As HKVegas has pointed out, there's room in the market for everyone.

@plong . I agree with your thoughts on the 1x market. It's changed the need for a 1.5x or similar. The package deal has been around forever though. It looks like Optics P bought a bunch of them, but Burris has offered that package and been selling them since day one. I bought a couple of them when they first rolled out. I put the red dots and mounts on other guns and ran the scopes in 3 gun.

Last edited: