• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Trijicon ACOG 4X?

JoshcBoucher

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2011
Northern Delaware.
Buy once, cry once, or is there "something else", for the money? They want $ 1100? That's a new 223 Rock River, that's sitting on the rack, just 20 ft. away! Any help is appreciated. Want it for a 308 SASS, for "under 200 yds."

Re: Trijicon ACOG 4X?

I would say that a .308 SASS for "under 200 yards" is not exactly the right tool for that job.

I like ACOGs, but if you are consistently shooting at short ranges the fixed magnification can be a hinderance.

As for price, shop around if you decide an ACOG is a need you have to scratch. I have purchased my ACOGs for about 75% or less of MSRP as there are deals to be had on new ones.

If you want it...then its worth it to get an ACOG (although that price sounds high to me depending on the specific model you are talking about).

Aside from WANT...then with your stated uses on a .308 SASS for shooting under 200yds...then why would you need an ACOG (or a .308 for that matter)?!

Knowing what you'll be doing with the rifle would go a long way in getting you headed in the right direction for optics.

Got the ACOG, and the Rock River, 223. Wanted the scope. Added the rock River, cause it's a good gun. That's what I "heard". Thanks, for the input!I had a Couple extra Thousand, in the "locker", for a Good scope, and a Rifle. Got the scope, and the rifle, for a good price. Dual deal. Good "price break", for both. Got a couple Pmags, and some rounds, in the deal. I'm happy. Got the ACOG, for a 1K, and the RRA. rifle, for 1100.Yeah, I hear ya. Under 200, open sights are OK. Wanted something for "over", if needed. Had some "money" in the bank. Wanted a "Good scope", for "what ever". Can "move" it to other guns.

Because It's a 308. Stopping power. What works better? have th e 223, in all kinds of "variants'. Looking for a "wall", of Stopping power. I'm not into 6.5, or it's clones. 7.62, is a good place to be.What would you suggest? I can get "cheap 308 rounds", on the net.>50c. each. Seams to be the choice.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want it...then its worth it to get an ACOG (although that price sounds high to me depending on the specific model you are talking about).

Aside from WANT...then with your stated uses on a .308 SASS for shooting under 200yds...then why would you need an ACOG (or a .308 for that matter)?!

Knowing what you'll be doing with the rifle would go a long way in getting you headed in the right direction for optics. </div></div>

Holy, over-use, of, commas, Batman.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joshboucher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Because It's a 308. Stopping power. </div></div>Are you hunting with this? Why do you need the "stopping power"? Let me guess, for when SHTF?

,,,,,<<<<<<,,,,, Holy over use of comas. and Quote marks! I 'm sorry! Got this ACD, APPLE. WHAT THE FCK, thing going on. Need to "back off", of the ,{"}+_ stuff. Just didn't think this rifle was going to be a "long ranger". Read the posts, about DPMS 308, and thought it would be a "close" gun. Under 200. Have an M1A. It doesn't shoot 3 in., at 100. The mag's. suck. Wanted an easy load Gun. Ever try to load an M1A, fast? Needs training, and practice. The DPMS SASS, is "easy". AND YES. This is a WTSHTF. gun . I've got a Rem 700, 308, TRG 300 WIN MAG, that I shoot, for long range fun. Wanted a "CLOSE IN GUN", for 308.Just need to hold off the Squirrels. Those suckers are big!, and fast!quote=pdogsbeware]Holy, over-use, of, commas, Batman.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joshboucher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Because It's a 308. Stopping power. </div></div>Are you hunting with this? Why do you need the "stopping power"? Let me guess, for when SHTF?
[/quote]

HOGS! And another "aside". I'm kind of a collector. I like putting nice packages together. With Romney being the "way he is", and the Polls showing an even race, I thought it best to buy now, in case HE gets back in, and the ban comes back. I've got a bunch of other scopes. The ACOG was one I didn't have.Looked at Aimpoints, and scout scopes. Still "shopping", for the voids, in the collection. And this is "what I do, in the garage". I liked that, by the way.The other real reasons: Pig's, are in the plan, in Texas, in the near future. Heard they're tough. The brush is heavy. Not many long range shots. Wanted something with quick acquisition. The 45-70, is my other option.

I have not owned a lot of high end scopes and have not needed them for the mostly under 500 shooting I do. I happened into an Acog 4x on a trade and I am amazed at the clarity and brightness, compared to the other scopes I have owned. I have not shot it yet, but just holding it up outside I am amazed at what the extra $$$ get you. I finally understand why I have been told over and over again to buy high on the glass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: avking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I finally understand why I have been told over and over again to buy high on the glass. </div></div>Glass quality, although usually present in high-end scopes, is one of the least important considerations when choosing a scope.

^^^ but once you get used to good glass, there is nothing else that will do!

I like ACOG's for 200 yards and in work. They work in a pinch out further, but I find 100-200 is where they shine. Hell, 50-200 really. I like Aimpoints on CQB rigs but personally have a harder time making accurate hits out further without magnification.

I don't know dick about scopes. But "Glass quality, although usually present in high-end scopes, is one of the least important considerations when choosing a scope" is a BS statement in the fact that you don't speak for all people. A better statement might be "Glass Quality, although usually present in high-end scopes, is the least important thing to me when choosing a scope".

Just sayin', for others like me that don't know dick it may be the most important.

For me, glass quality on my long range high power optics is a major consideration along with adjustability and repeatability. On short range optics, glass quality is a little lower down the chain. One thing all optics have in common, higher the price... usually the better the quality and durability.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZombieStacker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For me, glass quality on my long range high power optics is a major consideration along with adjustability and repeatability. On short range optics, glass quality is a little lower down the chain. One thing all optics have in common, higher the price... usually the better the quality and durability. </div></div>

I love good glass, but reliability and tracking is more important than _anything_. Any blip with holding zero, tracking, and returning to zero and every round fired has a question mark stamped into the back of it.

Good glass is great, and I won't buy cheap glass ever again, but reliability, zero, and tracking are way more important

to me.
wink.gif

ACOG's are good glass, and very rugged. Just be aware that with ACOG's you may have to fire a few rounds after making any elevation or windage adjustment. I learned the hard way with my first ACOG, and was chasing my tail trying to zero it by firing one round, making an adjustment, fire one round, make an adjustment, etc.
My suggestion is to shoot three or four rounds, then make an adjustment/correction.
I used a 3x30 ACOG (on an M4) a couple of years ago in a comp, where the targets were 10" steel plates out to 500-yards. My carbine was under scoped for that, but It was fairly accurate out to 300-yards with the ACOG, and anything beyond that distance was very difficult.