• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Trijicon ACOG Reticles - Help.

angeldriver

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2005
Sterling Va
EDITED:
How is BDC set up on these Trijicon ACOG reticles?
I have summed up from all of the comments.

redchevron.jpg

Found the info on this one and it breaks down as illustrated.

TA33H-reticle2-1.jpg

GreenDonut_LR_indicated.jpg

Re: Trijicon ACOG Reticles

On the TA11, the circle one, you zero at 100 yards with the top of the reticle as the point of aim, the center is 200, the bottom of the reticle is 300, and each hash mark is an additional 100 yards. I love the scope, it is the fastest scope I have seen yet for 3-gun.

We use the top one. The dashes from 400m on down when on a man sized target are the same size as his shoulders. When you are 0-100 meters you don't close one eye when shooting. It acts like a red dot sight for getting on target fast. Depends on what you are going to be using the ACOG for. If its not for comp but just reg shooting go with the cheapest one. Has just a standard looking reticle and will save you the extra money. If you want one for comps then go with the top or bottom one. I have used the cheapest one they have and the red one shown. Both do the same thing. The middle one is the only one you can get for the 6.8spc round. Which is sadly the one i have to get.

Is the BAC set correctly for the Doughnut here? Wasnt sure if it was internal diameter or external so I went with external. My question is that seems like the BAC delta between 200 and 300 is to evenly spaced in comparison to the chevron BAC (could just be an optical illusion), opinions or corrections to this illustration?
GreenDonut_LR_indicated.jpg

It is the same. It is fast acquisition combat scope, not a precision group shooting scope. At the ranges it is used for in most 3 gun matches,<300 yards, I just put the doughnut on the target and roll.

Thanks Orca - I came across some info which lead me to believe that the horseshoe reticle is set up like this. Can anyone confirm or correct?
TA33H-reticle2.jpg

Since this relates to what the OP asked, what color reticle do you guys find to offer the most contrast for day time shooting?

From what I've read, more people prefer the red reticle over amber as it offers better contrast, but what about green? Thoughts?

I prefer red, probably because I shoot a lot with red dots. I know guys who swear by the amber thou. I have always thought of green as more of a night reticle.

Reactions: GhostFace

The theory with green is the it is right in the middle of the color spectrum so it is equally visible night or day, the same reason road signs are green.

As far as reticles go I don't think the theory translates for everyone. I prefer red.

Is the BDC correct for the horseshoe reticle? And can anyone confirm the Doughnut BAC please.

DONUT OF DEATH!

I'd love to get the red triangle TA-31 model but I have never been able to get my hands on a Trijicon ACOG both at gun shops, Cabelas and various guns shows so I can view the eye relief and make sure I like it before sinking a grand into one.

Zak Smith wrote a Review on the Horseshoe reticle, you can find it here http://demigodllc.com/articles/first-look-trijicon-ta11-green-horse-shoe-dot/?p=2 Ive copy and pasted the relevant information as to how to use the Donut and the Horseshoe from his article.
"The conventional TA11 donut reticle is aimed by zeroing it at 100 yards at the top of the donut; then the center will be on at about 200-250, the bottom of the donut at 300, and the stadia lines start at about 375-400 yards. This leads to a somewhat complicated and imprecise sight picture in the 275-400 yard regime. The bottom of the donut can cover the target, and the stadia lines are relatively thick. The TA11-GH addresses this with its horseshoe-dot reticle by clearing out the reticle in the 200-300 yard regime. Compared to the donut, the horse-shoe is thinner and obscures less. There is a dot signifying the center of the dot (ie, your 100 yard zero). Instead of using the bottom of the donut, the stadia line starts with a bare "post" for 300 yards. This simplifies and improves the sight picture from 200-400 yards and is better than the donut, in my opinion. However, it does leave out any particular 200-yard aiming point. The bullet will never rise above the center dot, so your maximum point-blank range is now indicated by a blank spot in the reticle between the center dot at the 300-meter line."

Thank you for the horseshoe ret info. I was looking into one of those and find it very interesting. Might have to sac up and get one.

The TA11 worked as advertised with my 20" barrel and XM193.

With the TA11H-M249 & 18" bbl, I have to use 75gr (PRVI / Hornady TAP training) to match the top of the post with 300yds and #4 with 400yds.

I spoke to Trijicon today and I shoot a 6.8 but no reticle in this caliber is aviliable in the extended eye relief models. Trijicon suggested you can sight in the center dot of the horseshoe say an inch high at 100 meters and this would come close to matching the drops in the reticle to the ballistics of the rifle. This might help with those running shorter barrels using these ACOGs