• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Trijicon advice please

operator1911

Minuteman
Oct 24, 2008
Parachute, CO
Ok guys I have been trying to decide on a scope for my POF P.308 for a while. I have finally decided on the the scope I want now I just need a little advice from you guys on which reticule to go with.

The scope I have decided on is the Trijicon 5x20x50 with a green dot. Now the question is do I get the Mildot or the basic cross hair reticule. I will be using this for both target shooting and Elk hunting out to about 600 yards max.
Which do you guys think will be the better one to go with over all. My local shop has both in stock and the pricing is killer. I played with both a bit and the cross hair seems like it would be better for hunting but I think the mildot will be more versital in the long run

Re: Trijicon advice please

I have the 5-20 x 50 Mil-Dot its a SFP scope and you can only range using the Mil-Dots at 10 power. clear glass but you can really see what power your at when your proned. The Trijicon works nice in low light youwont see the cross hairs, but you will see the green dot. PM me if you want to know some more about it.

Depends if you're a Mil-dot guy or not haha I am not, some guys like them. I would like to have one of their triangle reticles for a hunting rig, I just like the cleanliness of the sight picture. But that's just me.

Just think about in the past, while shooting, have you ever gone, "Man, I wish I had mil-dots right now..." That might help you towards a decision.

I never liked the mil dot scopes so theres my opinion on that.

I have shot the german #4 crosshair, and the green triangle post. For target shooting I wouldn't really recommend any of them, for hunting I would say green triangle post, then german #4, then mil dot.

I owned a 1-4 with the green triangle post and was able to hold 5 shot sub MOA groups with it at 100 yards, so it is a capable reticle with some practice. I am sure you will be happy with whichever you choose. Shop around, I found mine for 750$, which is a pretty good deal (reddotscopes.com sale). Good luck on your decision!

For what its worth Trijicon has fantastic customer service.

Thanks for the advice guys. I am really not sure which way to go. I have had mildot before and I think it might be a little better for quick holdover shots but I'm really not sure. I want something that will be quick for hunting but still function well for targets.

I would go with the mildot for a quick and accurate reference for hold over. With a little practice you game range your game too. I've been using the mildot version for about 8 months now and really like it. The glass is outstanding and I like how only where the crosshairs meet is illuminated.
The simple green dot makes taking quick shots easier in my opinion. Only down side is the crosshairs are a little thick for trying to shoot small groups (not a benchrest scope), but it's great for hunting and general target shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dontmiss0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would go with the mildot for a quick and accurate reference for hold over. With a little practice you game range your game too. I've been using the mildot version for about 8 months now and really like it. The glass is outstanding and I like how only where the crosshairs meet is illuminated.
The simple green dot makes taking quick shots easier in my opinion. Only down side is the crosshairs are a little thick for trying to shoot small groups (not a benchrest scope), but it's great for hunting and general target shooting. </div></div>

i have to agree with this, a standard mil dot reticle isn't over busy so no worries there and it is nice to have if you just need to make a quick holdover follow up ect...

Well I am gonna go with the mildot. I played with one a little more today at cabelas while I was waiting for the approval on my sons birthday present( he got a .22cal 1911) I really like the mildot and think it will do well. My one piece mount arrived today and now I am just waiting for Uncle Sam to issue my tax refund to pick up the Trijicon.

Thanks for all the advice guys.