• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Trijicon IR Hunter MK3 60mm mounting

dttheliman

Pushing those 6.5's
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2013
San Antonio
Trying to figure out what everyone is doing with this - it comes out the box with a Larue QD mount (the same one that is used on an ACOG ) now to use this thermal effectively you need to be able to depress the rubber eyepiece to pop open the aperture and see the picture - the issue is that in this configuration you cannot get the scope far enough back to fit , on a bolt gun I can ish - however it interferes with the bolt lift , On an AR10 platform you run out of rail long before you can get close enough (and then its interfering with the charging handle - unless you have really small midget hands with tiny skinny fingers)

I am looking at permantley mounting this on an AR10 platform for predator control etc - and an looking at the following :

1. https://www.nightvisionoutfitters.c...bobro-engineering-trijicon-ir-hunter-qd-mount (Replaces existing and moves optic to the rear)
2.https://www.gggaz.com/gs-1-optical-mounting-rail.html (Adds height, would have to mouth backwards so picatinny hangs towards the rear - will probably require the dreaded dremmel to get charging handle usable )
3. Pull the rubber eyepiece off , mount it where it fits and don’t care about the edges of the picture or the backlight on you face - hoggs ain’t seeing that in a blind
Thoughts Gentlemen?

Last edited:
First off, a lot of people talk about light splash and how it spooks game. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but by the time a coyote or hog notices that, they should be dead.

I don't run a Trijicon, but this is what I use on my traditional style thermal scopes. https://www.larue.com/products/larue-tactical-picatinny-riser-lt101/

This will solve three of your problems. It will allow you to push the scope far enough back on your bolt guns to use it, it will lift the scope up and out of the way of your charging handle, and it will also push it far enough back on your AR to use the eyecup properly. Also, on top of this, it will most likely result in a more comfortable, heads-up, style of shooting. The one negative is on your bolt gun if you don't have a cheek riser, you may need to get one. When using the LaRue LT101, I move the entire setup from gun to gun. I move them as a unit and in my testing, it returned to zero perfectly on multiple guns. Just another option.

At 1:14 in the following video, you can see how I used it and even mounted a battery pack on the riser.

This works well on a bolt or AR. For the video, mounting the battery on the riser is what didn't work for me on my Rem 700.

That looks like it will do the trick - when I was messing around with the mounting it felt like I should’ve been a octopus to get comfortable behind it , normally set the gun on a tripod , just couldn’t make the fundamentals work , the thermal sat so low I removed the cheek riser so I could get a picture, ordered the LT 101 , will update when its worked out

Thanks

Tim

Leopold makes a pic rail riser too.

FWIW, I use the bobro mount.

Geisselle makes a vcog mount that will bolt up to the ir hunter and move it back, as well as ADM. Any mount that can be used on a acog can be used on the ir hunter, with the exception of the old zrodelta dloc which will contact the battery compartment of the scope.

Last edited:
Reactions: Euro.Connor
My reply is probably a little late to be helpful, however, I completely removed the cap from mine and replaced it with a butler creek flip cover. I have never once thought the light from my thermal spooked coyotes nor hogs.

I do a lot of FOF training/exercise stuff at night. After lots of asking around, talking to serving soldiers and Marines, we managed to come up with ONE time someone was seen (very close) due to splash.

Shuttered eyecups are not really needed, and are fraught with problems. They can freeze up in cold and damp, they get stiffer in cold so can be very hard to open, and generally are going to tire you out, and get your eyepro/glasses dirty so make it hard to see.

The IR Hunter has (as far as I can tell) a totally normal PVS-14 objective so those accessories seem to fit. Get an amber or purple filter for the back end (changes color but mostly reduces the visibility of the splash), or just get the normal PVS14 rubber eyecup then fold it back over the occular; you get a little rubber bump protection for recoil etc if you crawl up on it too much, but it's out of the way. Get a demist shield to keep environmental or handling scratches from damaging the occular lenses.

If worried more, or you want to keep the unit running but not have light come out when you step away (say you pop your head off the scope to scan, etc) get a Butler Creek (or Aadland!) cap to keep it safe, flip it open when about to use it.

I have a mk3 35mm that I'm looking to swap from an AR10 platform to a bolt gun. With the short adjustable buttstock on a gas gun, along with a 5/8" riser, it was no issue with getting your eye close enough for full view of the screen and being comfortable. What are you all using for a bolt gun mount to bring it rearward enough for full sight picture as well as clearing the bolt handle on a R700 platform? Height isn't an issue as I have a riser if needed.

I pretty much use exactly what you mentioned. I use the LaRue Tactical Picatinny Riser LT101. I don't run Trijicon but the concept is still the same. You will need a cheek riser, if you don't have one. I use this on both my ARs as well as my bolt guns. No issues with right handed bolt. The only thing you have to watch out for is on some thermals (Super Yoter in my case), the external battery connection is on the right. I use a 90° USB connection and run it down or up depending on the configuration to keep the cord away from the bolt.

https://www.larue.com/products/larue-tactical-picatinny-riser-lt101/

I will take my chances on that LaRue mount. I just checked my YHM riser and it's only a half inch, I thought 5/8. But it definitely isn't high enough or long enough to bring the scope rearward as much as I'd like. The bolt handle almost clears so maybe that extra 1/8" of height on the LaRue will be enough. If I had it on an action with a 60° bolt throw it would be OK minus it being to far away. Thanks