• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Trijicon LPVO Credo 1-6 or 1-8 vs Primary Arms LPVO...thoughts?

SilentStalkr

Wonna Be Badass
Minuteman
  • Oct 8, 2012
    Somewhere in the US
    What do you guys think? Is the Trijicon that much better of a scope for the money? I can get a 1-6 Credo for like $800, the PA is like $300 for the same or less in some cases. Is the Trijicon really worth the extra money for a scope that is primary going to be used 400 yds and in? I have Zero experience with any primary arms optics so...any help would be most appreciated.

While it's out of your budget comparison, if you have a chance to go look at the Primary Arms PLx series 1-8, I think you'd be impressed.
    In my opinion, it's well worth the extra money to get the $1299 version, as it has great glass and solid build quality for the price range.

They have 2 reticles for that. If you want to be doing target shooting you might want the mil grid style one. If this is going to be a run and gun, on the move shooting at larger targets, you may want to look at the BDC version.

While it's out of your budget comparison, if you have a chance to go look at the Primary Arms PLx series 1-8, I think you'd be impressed.
    In my opinion, it's well worth the extra money to get the $1299 version, as it has great glass and solid build quality for the price range.

They have 2 reticles for that. If you want to be doing target shooting you might want the mil grid style one. If this is going to be a run and gun, on the move shooting at larger targets, you may want to look at the BDC version.

That’s the thing, I go back and forth. In some ways I want to spend the money and others I’m not sure it’s really worth it. And then add in the fact that I’m highly unlikely to ever use this at distance then the question becomes do I even do a FFP and a BDC reticle? Like at 400 and in distances FFP isn’t really necessary as I won’t be ranging things most likely and if you sight the SFP correctly you can pretty much hold torso and you are going to hit somewhere in a man sized target easily at those distances. So, is there FFP and the better glass really necessary? I’m conflicted.

I‘m mounting up a credo 1-6 sfp red illum today. Early observations is it is a good middle man between my p4xi and mk6’s. No it does not have red dot bright illum but the reticle is essentially EoTech sized in nature so it should be fairly quick with no illum.
    I’ll report back!

(no experience with the PA 1-6)

Reactions: SilentStalkr
    So, is there FFP and the better glass really necessary? I’m conflicted.

The glass quality and build quality on the PLx series is very markedly better.
    It's basically the logistics of what corners you have to cut to get down to the $400 range instead off $1200 range.

One thing I prefer actually on the Primary Arms compared to others, is that the horseshoe reticle works very well at 1x as well as 8x and unlike most other reticles, if your batteries fail, you can still very clearly see the center aiming reticle at 1x (unlike most others that are rather worthless at 1x without illumination).

Then if you have the illumination, you can set it to nuclear bright if you wish it so even in the brightest sunlight you won't have any problem seeing it clearly just like an Eotech.

I have the FFP 1-6 PA with the ACSS reticle, its good and a true 1x and the horseshoe works great at 1x for use a both eye open reddot. However the Meopta 1-6 FFP with the .223 RD reticle has noticeably better glass, it does have tunneling below about 1.25x the reticle is far more accurately etched. Furthermore the illuminated center dot is daylight bright... The PA is not daylight bright and ever in pure dark night hunting I need the illumination set to about 6 to be visible over the red spot light I use. Also the PA does not have offs between illumination values and it didn't bother me until it was pitch black out and I had to turn it all the way from off to 6 out of 11. The Meopta has steps in between and after night hunting is much preferred.

I have the FFP 1-6 PA with the ACSS reticle, its good and a true 1x and the horseshoe works great at 1x for use a both eye open reddot. However the Meopta 1-6 FFP with the .223 RD reticle has noticeably better glass, it does have tunneling below about 1.25x the reticle is far more accurately etched. Furthermore the illuminated center dot is daylight bright... The PA is not daylight bright and ever in pure dark night hunting I need the illumination set to about 6 to be visible over the red spot light I use. Also the PA does not have offs between illumination values and it didn't bother me until it was pitch black out and I had to turn it all the way from off to 6 out of 11. The Meopta has steps in between and after night hunting is much preferred.

I think you'll find the current generation Primary Arms PLx series 1-8 addresses all of your concerns.

Excellent glass, check
    daylight bright illumination (As in possibly still too bright at high noon), check
    Off stops between each of the illumination settings, check
    NV compatible illumination modes, check

Reactions: Jsp556
    I think you'll find the current generation Primary Arms PLx series 1-8 addresses all of your concerns.

Excellent glass, check
    daylight bright illumination (As in possibly still too bright at high noon), check
    Off stops between each of the illumination settings, check
    NV compatible illumination modes, check

Good to know, but that’s a $1300 scope. At that price range I’m not going to be looking at a primary arms. I hate to say it, they may be good but there are scopes in that range from proven companies and that would make me look more at them. I have scopes in that price range. Was trying to build this one on the cheap to be like a leave in the car kind of deal.

Reactions: wilsoN_
    What do you guys think? Is the Trijicon that much better of a scope for the money? I can get a 1-6 Credo for like $800, the PA is like $300 for the same or less in some cases. Is the Trijicon really worth the extra money for a scope that is primary going to be used 400 yds and in? I have Zero experience with any primary arms optics so...any help would be most appreciated.

From a practical standpoint, I really don't think you are going to find a significant difference between the CREDO and one of the cheaper PA lines. Both have good reviews. I personally have an older acupower 1-8 and its a solid scope, its no game changer, but it works, and has a good eye box.

With that being said, unless you are really restricted to a specific budget, the idea of buying a Chinese optic when there are reasonably priced domestic or at least friendly country options is kind of gross.

I don’t know about you but I’m not even leaving a glock 43 in my vehicle let alone a carbine even with a cheap optic...that’s still quite a bit of moneys worth to leave unattended especially with all the shit going on.

Buying in the middle is just pointless unless the middle is the most you can afford. Either spend the cash for the good stuff or save the cash for the cheap stuff and make sure the company has a good warranty.

Good to know, but that’s a $1300 scope. At that price range I’m not going to be looking at a primary arms. I hate to say it, they may be good but there are scopes in that range from proven companies and that would make me look more at them. I have scopes in that price range. Was trying to build this one on the cheap to be like a leave in the car kind of deal.

if it is going to be banged around I would look at the Trijicon Over the PA. That 300.00 PA might not hold up.

i liked the primary arms just for the cost but by the time you add it up you might of well gotten your self a 1 x12 scope and ring and if you want a red dot on a canted mount for about the same cost . and had a better scope than a magnified 3x or 6x or 8x . but that's just my 2 cents , but good luck on what ever you want or decide to get its all fun .

If it matters, the illumination on the primary arms 1-6 FFP is not daylight bright. I’d expect it to be the same on their other SLx offerings, whether FFP or SFP.

If it matters, the illumination on the primary arms 1-6 FFP is not daylight bright. I’d expect it to be the same on their other SLx offerings, whether FFP or SFP.

I had a Trijicon Accupower 1-4X which was definitely not daylight bright. I sold it and got a Steiner P4Xi 1-4X.

The Credos look like rebranded Accupowers, and I'm betting their reticle illumination is no better.

Trijicon's current scope lineup needs some serious thinning and rationalizing. Many of their scopes defy logic in their combinations of reticles, turret adjustments, and focal planes.

• Love
    Alright so people not a huge fan of the PA scopes or Trijicon on here it seems for this application. What do you all Suggest then? I wasn’t looking to make this rifle a $4000 build but...

Alright so people not a huge fan of the PA scopes or Trijicon on here it seems for this application. What do you all Suggest then? I wasn’t looking to make this rifle a $4000 build but...
    This is the wrong site to go looking for a budget friendly option on anything. We’re generally a lot more helpful with threads titled “Just married Jeff Bezos’ ex wife. Help me spend all of her money...”

I’m not a “leave it in the glass box on wheels” kind of guy, so the “use case” is a bit lost to me. However, I do like the PA 1-6 FFP that I have mounted on my ar15. However, if you really need daylight bright, it is not. The reticle is etched and large enough to find easily on 1x, so I’m ok without the bright reticle outside. Illumination shows up fine indoors with indoor lighting on. Garand Thumb on YouTube did a review of this optic and it held up fine to his “testing,” though the turret cap did dent when dropped onto the pile of rocks- while mounted to the rifle- from chest height. BDC our to 600 y with 5 and 10 mph wind holds are a bonus. If your cartridge doesn’t fit with their bdc, you can find the subtensions for the reticle (in moa) online and calculate a custom bdc easily enough. FFP, BDC, LPVO, illumination, inexpensive, good warranty, well reviewed. It checks a lot of boxes. But, you can always increase performance with more money.

If you don't mind going 1-4, go Steiner.

I had the PA FFP Raptor and a Swampfox Arrowhead 1-10 SFP Mil/Mil Green and would take the Arrowhead of those two. I even liked it over the SWFA 1-6 FFP HD too. Pretty good scope for the money. If they push their mil reticle to their 1-6 I may pick another up. Just didn't really need a 1-10 and the eyebox was just a hair finicky. This was all done in a short time when I was new to LPVO'S and the biggest takeaway for me was how important a forgiving eyebox is. The Steiner punches high for it's cost.

All ended up being sold and thanks to some fortuitous stock market performance I ended up with a VCOG which I love but probably falls outside the boundaries of your query.

How about a Crimson Trace? I haven't seen one in the wild; but their 1-5x is 699 and sort of looks like at 1x it has an EoTech ring of death.

I’m happy with the Meopta Optika6 1-6 and I feel at $650 msrp it punches above its weight, I’m returning the .223 RD FFP reticle and waiting for the MRAD to come back in stock.

I have the 2 of the trijicon 1x8 accusers. I absolutely love them. The illumination in both are crystal clear I have both colors. To me they are exactly the scope for the application you are seeking. Clarity is top notch. Theirs a reason why you don't see many on the hide for sale they get scooped up quick when they are. I purchased both of mine on here at reasonable price. I laid 850 for one 700 for the other.

I‘m mounting up a credo 1-6 sfp red illum today. Early observations is it is a good middle man between my p4xi and mk6’s. No it does not have red dot bright illum but the reticle is essentially EoTech sized in nature so it should be fairly quick with no illum.
    I’ll report back!

(no experience with the PA 1-6)

So?

Hey sorry for the delay.

Here’s my quick rundown:
    1. Overall very nice optic
    2. On 1x the ocular lens disappears like a mk6 or g2rzr. Better performance than a p4xi
    3. Love the center dot for fine aiming
    4. The reticle is great. Kind of acts like the EoTech on 1x. Without illum it is perfectly viable. More so than the nxs 1-4, p4xi, and g2.
    5. Illum is most certainly daylight visible. On the brink of daylight bright but not quite there. Advantage p4xi, mk6, g2, etc.
    6. Factory throw knob can be configured in two different positions. I’m guessing this is for righty/lefties.
    7. Forgiving eyebox. Glass quality is right there with mk6, p4xi, g2.

**I sold this optic because: **

8. The illumination design on this optic turns this thing into a lighthouse if you’re on the receiving end of the fun. This is not acceptable for what I purchased this optic to do.