• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Night Vision TRIJICON MKIII 4.5/60mm or 2.5/35mm

gunfrog

Private
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2010
Northern Virginia
I am looking at hunting coyotes/wolves/ hogs in northern Virginia and north west NC. Terrain is mostly mountainous and heavily wooded, although occasionally hunt on a ranch or farm with some flat open terrain, so extended detection range is a nice to have , not need to have. I currently have a PVS 14, PEQ 15, DBAL D2, and Clip on with photinis Echo tube. The guys I night hunt with use pvs 14s behind a day optic (eotech) or duel nods with PEQ 15. I am leaning toward the 2.5 as Im guessing it will do better at closer range on fleeing targets. What do you guys recommend?

I Would go with the 60mm. You'll like it better in the long run. The 7 degree fov is not an issue. I'm in Bedford, VA. We run reaps, 35 and 60 hunters and I would say with the guys I hunt with if we had to have just one optic for a weaponsight it would be the 60mm.

Thank you foxkilr, is the fuzy focus inside of 50 yards ever an issue? Although I suppose that's kinda nods and laser range.

I've spotted hogs at 1200yds with the 2.5x 35mm on 2x ... it can do long distance spotting ... just a little fuzzier ...

But for close terrain the 35mm is definitely clearer in side 50yds ...

I have close terrain and I need both.

When I "upgraded" to the 60mm ... I added the ir-patrol to cover the close in requirements.

The 60mm is a great long distance spotter, that is its strength. We use it to spot out to 900yds when we are shooting heated steel with the utc-x on the rifles. At 2x digital or even 4x digital, we can see the trace, the hits and the misses.

For hunting in close terrain I would go with the 35mm ... and on the occasions when you are in open terrain just crank up to 2x.

what Wigwamitus wrote above is very accurate.

the 35 works very well, I absolutely hate a shot that only wounds and animal . Kill shots are all I try to take, so my shooting is generally from about 50 to 200 yards. the MK2 35 works well for that.

Dang , last time I felt this way I was shopping for an engagement ring, lots of money on something I know little of. Thank you everyone for your responses, Im leaning towards the 35, will let you know what I decide.

I own a MKII 35mm and love it. If you consistently have hunting areas where you can engage at 300 - 400+ yards go 60mm. If the majority of your hunting is 300 and under, then IMO the 35mm is a better choice do to the greater FOV. The greater FOV makes follow up shots so much easier.

Either way you're going to love the scope.

I own a MKII 35mm and love it. If you consistently have hunting areas where you can engage at 300 - 400+ yards go 60mm. If the majority of your hunting is 300 and under, then IMO the 35mm is a better choice do to the greater FOV. The greater FOV makes follow up shots so much easier.

Either way you're going to love the scope.

This.

gunfrog hit me up if I can be of any service man. We've been running all these units for a while now and don't mid taking the time for a phone call.

Reactions: ptamim
I hunt open farm land in SC and have never felt under scoped with the 35. Remember you are probable going to need a good handheld, I know I did.

I hunted open (some 1 mile plus) fields around Wichita Falls, TX recently. Some fields over a mile long/wide. Both my team mates had handhelds. They were continually asking me to "Put the 60 on it" ... they could detect critters 100s of yards out, but not PID. (deer? hog? yote?) To do the PID, I used the Mk3 60mm on 2x (9x net magnification). We had 25 mph winds a lot that weekend which degraded thermal performance.

So in those conditions, the mk3 60mm long distance spotting capability is useful. But as the OP says, he will generally be in close terrain, where the 35mm is king.

i talked to Chris Schiff at Interstate guns today and as he said he is more than willing to discuss the different thermals and his quoted price was the best I have had after 5 other locations.