• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Trijicon my best option?

misparkz

Private
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2011
Michigan
I've been browsing here for quite awhile and appreciate the experience and knowledge you guys have enough to finally join up and ask for some help. Up till now I've been using bolt guns and "cheap glass" ($3-400) I now have an 18" .223 AR which I'd like to have wear a little better glass. I'd like to stick around 8-9 hundred max. I'll be using the AR for coyotes, woodchucks, and range. I've seen you guys chastise enough people about deciding what the purpose of the gun is going to be to know that I'm trying to cover too broad of a spectrum with one gun. But for now I'll be trying to setup for fast moving, close yotes and also being able to reach out to 300yrds on woodchucks. My ideal magnification range would be 2x or lower to 10 or 12x. Low light performance is important. Trijicon really appeals to me seeing its a local MI company and no batteries. It doesn't sound like the acogs are precise enough for making bug holes at the range. The 2.5-10 accupoint is there on the magnification but just not sure about have a big ole 56mm bell. The 50mm doesn't have the low end magnification I want. Burris Sixx 2-12x50 w/ illum is another option but I'm not sure on quality. Plus has batteries. Do you think the the 2.5-10 Trijicon is my best bet? Others you would recommend instead? Hoping to add a relex sight on offset mount sometime in the future.

Re: Trijicon my best option?

Call them up, they'll send you a nice catalog with all the reticles. I like the Illum horseshoes for caribou sized targets. I've gotten use to acogs and they're fine by me out to 500 yards; kinda about practice with the long shots. They are super great for quick shots and within 100 yards. Get the catalog.

The 4x32 Horseshoes I buy priced at 1400, but gun shops sell for a little over 1000 to 1100.

I think you're on the right path. I would try to find a dealer that would let you take the scope outside to decide if the reticles are too large or not. Go with the 56....you'll get better resolution and I believe a more constant exit pupil/eye relief.

I'm pretty sure the Accupoint illuminated dot reticule would be no problem size wise for precision shots. With the BAC triangle post reticule it seems you could use the tip of triangle for precision. Anyone have any actual experience w/ shooting for groups w/ the triangle post tip?
The Acogs I think are out for this gun b/c of moa size of dot even on horseshoe reticule and no variable power.

A 3-9x40mm accupoint with triangle reticle. Not too big and it is pretty fast to aquire something like a running yote.

I had a Trijicon 2.5-10x56 with the mildot (green dot) for a while. It was a nice optic and in low light it performed very well. I have become a total convert to FFP so it got axed. I replaced it with a SS3-9 FFP on that rifle. If your looking for non-battery illum then trijicon is your only option really. If your don't have to have illum or batteries are okay, the door opens to tons of options. I have battery illum on a few scopes and rarely use it. Low light shots on running yotes being one of those times.

Its a big trade off really ... The Trijicon Triangle would work great for running yotes but will not work great trying to wack a woodchuck at 300. The trijicon mildot with illum dot in the middle would be a good compromise. I found I covered the fiber optics on mine unless it was low light ... and having the mildot gives you some hold options.

Anyone compared the 56mm trijicon to anything else to compare glass quality in lowlight?

I have 2.5-10x56 trijicon with the green mildot and compared it to a z6 swarovski 2-12x50 at last light and would rather have the trijicon. The swaro is good, but the reticle is too thin to make a lowlight shot while the trijicon green dot was easy to see. The glass quality to me was very close, and when you compare the prices trijicon was a no brainer.

Sapper you nailed pretty much what I've been thinking all along. I know I'm trying to do two vastly different things w/ one scope. To get one accomplished it's a trade off on the other task. I've been going in circles...
One thought is trijicon w/ a reflex sight on 45
Another is mount on quick disconnect mounts and swap trijicon w/ reflex depending on what I'm doing. But then reflex would be used for yotes and really no need for illum reticule on the scope...
Ha I just need to quit thinkin it and buy something!
Thanks for the input! any more is welcomed! Would still like to hear from someone that has used the tip of the triangle reticule shooting for groups.

Good thread.

I am intrigued by it because I am thinking about replacing my 56mm nxs with 2 56mm accupoints. It seems finding places to use the nxs are harder than I thought and the accupoints seem like an interesting setup with the triangle.

Anyone know how long the tritium last and what kind of cost to replace it?

I have looked through one and it was very clear, but inside a gunshop is not the place to tell how it's going to hang 1hr past sunset.

I have the big brother the 5-20x50 with the green mil-dot. The glass is very clear and the scope is quite rugged.I pulled the elevation cap off to see brass and steel under the dial.Some of the parts are however made in Japan and assembled in the US. I called them before I bought and was told that the glass is bought from a high end manufacture but the customer serivce rep would not disclose from who. I was also told that any problems whatsoever call them and they will take care of it. I have about 100 rnds though this scope and its amazing in low light comditions.

A friend told me he noticed degradation in the intensity after 7 years. Could still us eit but not as bright.

Trij told me half life was like 12 years.

I use my Trijicon 2,5-10x56 for just about the same kind of shooting/hunting.
The triangle reticle is fantastic for just about any situation except it`s useless for ranging...
Use mine on my Rem700 308win for hunting just about anything around here and it`s really sweet for those late night hoghunts.
Read up on trijicons BAC. It really works and i`ve shot a bunch of crazy fast running hogs and deer at short and medium range 0-150meters.
Rangework out to 300m(max at local range) has been a no-brainer and i`m getting 5 shot groups between 30-60mm at 300m.
I`ve had my scope for 4 years and the lit triangle has`nt started to fade yet.

My daughter and i went foxhunting and got this one late,late one night. Range was just a step or two shy of 200m.
21aug2010.jpg

Largest Fallowdeer i got in 2010.
DSC00407.jpg

I also have the Trijicon 3-9x40 but think that it`s bigger sibbling is better in all ways except size...
Have that scope on my modified "guide-gun".
DSC00374.jpg

What color reticule are you guys using? I'm thinking green is the way to go once I decide on dot or BAC triangle. I really need to find someone local that has the triangle post so I can try it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: danny.k</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use my Trijicon 2,5-10x56 for just about the same kind of shooting/hunting.
The triangle reticle is fantastic for just about any situation except it`s useless for ranging...
Use mine on my Rem700 308win for hunting just about anything around here and it`s really sweet for those late night hoghunts.
Read up on trijicons BAC. It really works and i`ve shot a bunch of crazy fast running hogs and deer at short and medium range 0-150meters.
Rangework out to 300m(max at local range) has been a no-brainer and i`m getting 5 shot groups between 30-60mm at 300m.
I`ve had my scope for 4 years and the lit triangle has`nt started to fade yet.

My daughter and i went foxhunting and got this one late,late one night. Range was just a step or two shy of 200m.
21aug2010.jpg

Largest Fallowdeer i got in 2010.
DSC00407.jpg

I also have the Trijicon 3-9x40 but think that it`s bigger sibbling is better in all ways except size...
Have that scope on my modified "guide-gun".
DSC00374.jpg

</div></div>

love your Jack Russell,,,,,like the pic of your kiddo also....cheers!!

I have looked through triangle and regular cross hair in green. At first I was against the triangle, but after a few minutes I was in love with it. I have read on here and some other boards that amber is the preferred color,but could not say with out seeing the others in person.

Yellow is actually my favorite color for Trijicon scopes. I had an ACOG with yellow and it was great. Now I only have an ACOG with red which I really like also.

I like the red acog horseshoes too, usually only hunt during te early mornings and late right before dark.

Here's some picts of bear from our stand, daughter shot one with 6.8 stag & acog; course I didn't focus pict good enough. Also game cams.

DSCN4720.jpg

PICT0024.jpg

PICT0016_2.jpg

PICT0114.jpg

I've got an ACOG on one of my AR's and I have been extremely impressed with it. Low light performance is very good, and the optics are very clear.