• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Trijicon TARS

Nik H

Constantly Learning
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 22, 2014
    Small town New England
    Anyone have any experience with this animal? I read a review that LL did in late 2012. It did pretty well other than weight and value based on price.

I really like the build quality/ACOG like ruggedness. The 3-15x range is great for my type of shooting (<500 yards).

Would appreciate any feedback that you guys may have.

BR

I've handled it at the NRA Convention. It seems like a pretty good scope. My main complaint was the weight, its mag range of 3-15x, and its price.

For that weight, I can get a Vortex or NF Beast that has more mag range. For that price, I can get a March, Nightforce, or S&B. For its mag range, I can get the Leupold MK6 that is much lighter.

I hear you

The weight is OK for me as the other scopes I am considering is the new Vortex and the NF Beast. The Vortex is a little heavier.

I have seen these discounted more than I have the other 2. Prices for NIB private sales are running at about the same price as the new Vortex. If I can get one for that price, it is a better value proposition. If I have to pay retail, then I agree there are probably better choices.

My big driver is reliability and durability. This thing is built like an armored car. My ACOG has been super reliable. I am not a new scope every year type of guy. I buy once and use it for a long while. The magnification range for me is pretty sweet. I don't have the luxury of ranges beyond 600 yards. Most of the time, I am shooting at 300 yards or less.

According to the Trijicon reps I spoke with they were having a really hard time keeping dust particles out of the scope during assembly and that kept production to a minimum ( halted at one point) which is why they are pretty hard to come by. Just what I was told

There are much better optics out there for half the price. The TARS is massively overpriced and under powered, $4000 for a 15x optic is retarded. At 3500-4k range you could get a new SnB and nearly half that price you can get a Vortex Gen II 18x from a companies that have a proven track recored of making awesome FF optics.

If I had 4k to spend on an optic this minute it would be any 25x Snb, 25x Kales, or 25x Premier Gen 2xr. Def not an older style mil dot reticle.

Ok enough ranting.

there are a few for sale on this site for $2500 BRAND NEW. At that price I think its the best thing going EXCEPT the weight, thats what the weight room is for though.

there are a few for sale on this site for $2500 BRAND NEW. At that price I think its the best thing going EXCEPT the weight, thats what the weight room is for though.

My thoughts exactly....however, my timing is always off. Weight isn't an issue for me.

Ok, well I was looking at retail price. Don't know who's selling them for $2500.00 but I have a feeling that Trijicon has had a real hard time breaking into the market with this offering so some fire sale pricing going on right now.

I will give it to the TARS if there is 44mils of vertical adjustment, just wish it had more magnification.

"Best thing" though?

$2200.00 gets you 18x Gen 2 Vortex with 34 mils of vertical adjustment, more zoom, and a better reticle.

$1900.00 gets you a 16x Steiner with much better turrets and fantastic fluorite glass, and perfect repeatable tracking.

But hey if you guys love them then it's all subjective at some levels, it's your money. :)

Last edited:
    Different strokes for different folks. Thats why i said "I" think its the best thing going for 2500(private party on this site). I would never purchase one at or over that price. It does indeed have 44mils of TET. Mag range and reticles are user preference. I feel that both of the scopes you mentioned are very nice scopes HOWEVER, the TARS is built like something else entirely. Recently got behind one and I particularly like the turrets. Combine that with the fact that its made by Trijicon right here in the USA so for me at 2500 its the best thing going.

Ok, well I was looking at retail price. Don't know who's selling them for $2500.00 but I have a feeling that Trijicon has had a real hard time breaking into the market with this offering so some fire sale pricing going on right now.

I will give it to the TARS if there is 44mils of vertical adjustment, just wish it had more magnification.

"Best thing" though?

$2200.00 gets you 18x Gen 2 Vortex with 34 mils of vertical adjustment, more zoom, and a better reticle.

$1900.00 gets you a 16x Steiner with much better turrets and fantastic fluorite glass, and perfect repeatable tracking.

But hey if you guys love them then it's all subjective at some levels, it's your money. :)

Different strokes for different folks. Thats why i said "I" think its the best thing going for 2500(private party on this site). I would never purchase one at or over that price. It does indeed have 44mils of TET. Mag range and reticles are user preference. I feel that both of the scopes you mentioned are very nice scopes HOWEVER, the TARS is built like something else entirely. Recently got behind one and I particularly like the turrets. Combine that with the fact that its made by Trijicon right here in the USA so for me at 2500 its the best thing going.

Yeah man I hear ya. Guess I felt that the one I was looking at was really solid but the marking on the turrets were hard to read, but that makes sense as there is a crap load of adjustment. I'm all for made in the U.S.A. The glass was good as well. I did not know until this thread about the 44mils which is excellent, so that does change my opinion slightly.