• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trimble Nomad Questions

harley_jeff

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2004
Dallas, Texas area
I am thinking about buying a Trimble Nomad 800L and Field Firing Solutions in the coming months. I know several of you are using the same combo.
My question is, what other software are you guys using besides ballistic programs. Seems like a lot of room in the Nomad for other programs... just not sure what might be out there.

Recommendations welcomed.

Thanks.

Jeff

I am thinking about buying a Trimble Nomad 800L and Field Firing Solutions in the coming months. I know several of you are using the same combo.
My question is, what other software are you guys using besides ballistic programs. Seems like a lot of room in the Nomad for other programs... just not sure what might be out there.

Recommendations welcomed.

Thanks.

Jeff

Have you considered other platforms like Android, Windows Phone or iPhone before investing on such an expensive combo?

Just consider that the PDA is certainly a dead technology and Windows Mobile is not updated nor supported anymore by Microsoft. Windows Mobile department closed down over two years ago.

The other platforms offer a lot of ballistics programs (some excellent) and hundreds of thousands apps to make for any need you might have.

Have you considered other platforms like Android, Windows Phone or iPhone before investing on such an expensive combo?

Just consider that the PDA is certainly a dead technology and Windows Mobile is not updated nor supported anymore by Microsoft. Windows Mobile department closed down over two years ago.

The other platforms offer a lot of ballistics programs (some excellent) and hundreds of thousands apps to make for any need you might have.

I just bought an 800L/FFS after using iPod/iPhone apps for a few years. I cringed at the thought of a Windows machine (I've owned a lot of Macs).
What I am hearing from the experienced users is that within 1K/1.2K yards the phone apps work very well, but past that, FFS (and Patagonia?) have no equal.
I want to spend more time out past 1200yds., and I will see for myself how Bulletflight and Ballistic compare side by side with FFS.

Six months ago I said the same thing as you, I had my mind changed and this coming year I will find out for myself.
Inside 1K yards phone apps work really well, I want to take my .338LM out to a mile.

I just bought an 800L/FFS after using iPod/iPhone apps for a few years. I cringed at the thought of a Windows machine (I've owned a lot of Macs).
What I am hearing from the experienced users is that within 1K/1.2K yards the phone apps work very well, but past that, FFS (and Patagonia?) have no equal.
I want to spend more time out past 1200yds., and I will see for myself how Bulletflight and Ballistic compare side by side with FFS.

Six months ago I said the same thing as you, I had my mind changed and this coming year I will find out for myself.
Inside 1K yards phone apps work really well, I want to take my .338LM out to a mile.

I'm basicallt on the same boat as you, and my platform of choice was until about a month ago a Trimble Juno3B running Patagonia's ColdBore along with the PC version for sysncing and data analysis...until they released the "Phone edition" (Windows Phone) and cannot be happier with it.

Check some feedback here, which I agreed 100% http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/range-report-exterior-ballistics/224330-good-ballistic-app-windows-phone.html

Past 1.2K Patagonia's beats them all and now on a ultrafast and solid platform. Sure, not 100% rugged but with the shells available close enough.