• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trimmer Advice

Deltagunner00

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2011
Central Indiana
Right now I am using the good ol' Lee Zip Trim to trim all my brass. Some nights I just skip trimming and pull off my fingernails with pliersas it feels like the same thing. So, I would like to upgrade to something fairly more enjoyable.

I reload for 223 and 308. 223 is just plinking stuff. 308 I shoot in some FComps and would like to get more competitive this year.

I wouldn't say that I reload a bunch right now but I will say I would reload more if I had a better trimming setup. I sometimes use the chuck in a power drill but mostly zip trim.

Re: Trimmer Advice

If you like to use the drill, I would suggest the Worlds Finest Trimmer from Little Crow Gunworks. I have them for .223 and .308 and like them.

Of course, Giraud is the mountain top, if you got the money.

I recently bought a cheap drill pres at Harbor Freight, that I'm gonna pair up with Worlds Finestr Trimmers.

Haven't tried them yet but they look good.

I've been in the same debate and I have finally settled with waiting till I have the extra funds and getting a giraud.

I run a Lyman Universal with power drill adapter bar. For 18 years, it's been fine. I can do about 10-12 a minute, but the chore is in camphering and deburring and that's where a 3 way cutting head, or a Giraud would save a lot of time.

I'm not loading up thousands of rounds at a time, so it's not a huge issue and I have a RCBS TrimMate with the campher/deburr bits on it, so that's a little faster.

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just bite the bullet and buy a Giraud. </div></div>

I'll confess (its prolly a charachter flaw in me or something) this "logic" annoys me.

Just bite the bullet and buy...

the most expensive press
the most expensive scope
the most expensive rifle
the most expensive dies
the most expensive trimmer

After a while, SOMETIMES people run out of money to always buy the most expensive everything.

SOMETIMES its OK morally and socially to buy "good enuf."

/rantover

I'm resently picked up a stainless Wilson case trimmer with micrometer adjustment. After 20+ years with an RCBS, I couldn't be happier with the Wilson.

I am pretty new at reloading so my advice is not worth much, but I bought the Hornady case prep center , and I think it is a nice piece of equipment that is multi functional..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: garandman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just bite the bullet and buy a Giraud. </div></div>

I'll confess (its prolly a charachter flaw in me or something) this "logic" annoys me.

Just bite the bullet and buy...

the most expensive press
the most expensive scope
the most expensive rifle
the most expensive dies
the most expensive trimmer

After a while, SOMETIMES people run out of money to always buy the most expensive everything.

SOMETIMES its OK morally and socially to buy "good enuf."

/rantover
</div></div>

If you can't afford a Giraud I can respect that, but I show no pitty to those who dismiss a product based on price.

The forster 3-in-1 is great, trim chamfer and deburr in one. If you don't already have a forster set up you're probably better off considering the WFT.

Why not use a dillon trimmer? Are these not as good? I was thinkin about getting one cause it would save me a ton of time when loading 223.

The Dillon trimmer is great for trimming a crapload of 223 brass. It does not chamfer, and I've heard reports that it's not super precise on the trim length.

The Giraud chamfers and trims to a very precise length.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The-Fly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Dillon trimmer is great for trimming a crapload of 223 brass. It does not chamfer, and I've heard reports that it's not super precise on the trim length.

The Giraud chamfers and trims to a very precise length. </div></div>

Whats super precise? Is it within .002? What is the difference in reference points for the trimmers? Meaning the Giraud references off the neck. How does the Dillon trimmer reference?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PKT1106</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you like to use the drill, I would suggest the Worlds Finest Trimmer from Little Crow Gunworks. I have them for .223 and .308 and like them.

Of course, Giraud is the mountain top, if you got the money. </div></div>

I have the Little Crow trimmer in.223 and .308 and they are fast and accurate. They do not chamfer, but that is not a deal breaker for me. They index off the shoulder of a fired case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If you can't afford a Giraud I can respect that, but I show no pitty to those who dismiss a product based on price. </div></div>

Absolutely bro..............and after you process a few THOUSAND cases, you realize what a great value Doug's machine really is!

I just started reloading and haven't gotten to seating the bullets yet because I'm waiting for powder. However, I've been tumbling, depriming and resizing in batches in the meantime. Using an RCBS manual trimmer, I was aghast at how long the process took just for a 100 rounds in .308. I kept thinking there has to be a better way considering I have several thousand 5.56 cases to do the same for. After looking at various options, I don't think there is any solution out there more cost/time effective than the giraud. I'll have to place an order for this in next couple of weeks.

I have the rcbs power pro trimmer with the 110 volt. Bought the package deal. Also bought the 3 way carbide cutter heads as they chamfer deburr and trim all in one step. About 7 to 8 seconds tops. I LOVE it. Makes the dreaded "oh shit ...time to trim blues" go away real fast. As far as consistency it cuts same length every time since I bought it back in 2011

My experience is to buy the best you can afford in almost every instance. It doesn't matter if you're buying case trimmers or nose trimmers. Quality costs and quality usually makes for a better job. Just my thoughts. I can't tell you how many times in my life I wish I had spent the extra jack and went with the better product. It's happened so many times that I try not to compromise anymore.

With that being said, I recently got into hand loading and went with the Forster case trimmer. Ordering my Giraud tomorrow. Make sense? LOL

I like my RCBS Power Trimmer. I have several of the three way cutters for calibers from .17 to .308. It is plenty fast for me. The Giraud looks like a great unit but, I choose not to spend the money on a unit that is cartridge not just caliber specific. If I only loaded for one or two cartridges it may win me over.