• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trimmer decision help

catalyst81

Private
Minuteman
May 6, 2012
Utah
Sometimes searching and researching just makes the decision making harder it seems. I've been using the original trim-it for trimming. It's lost somewhere. I've been considering replacing it with the Giraud power trimmer but its a bit $$$. I haven't seen anyone disappointed with it though. I only reload 2 rifle calibers right now. 6.5 Creed and .223. So, I've been considering getting the Giraud Triway for bulk .223 and then using something like the Wilson for my precision 6.5 creedmoor. I shoot about 100/month of the 6.5. That setup would be a bit more economical. What are your thoughts? Should I just suck it up for the Giraud Power Trimmer?

Last edited:
Sometimes searching and researching just makes the decision making harder it seems. I've been using the original trim-it for trimming. It's lost somewhere. I've been considering replacing it with the Giraud power trimmer but its a bit $$$. I haven't seen anyone disappointed with it though. I only reload 2 rifle calibers right now. 6.5 Creed and .223. So, I've been considering getting the Giraud Triway for bulk .223 and then using something like the Wilson for my precision 6.5 creedmoor. I shoot probably 100/month of the 6.5. That setup would be a bit more economically. What are your thoughts? Should I just suck it up for the Giraud Power Trimmer?

I shoot .223, 6 x 47L and .308W, all in bolt guns. All are "Match" chambered/tight necks. I probably only trim about every 4th or 5th reload or so. In other words, not much (not much need to). I have only ever used the/my Wilson and it works just fine. If I were doing a lot more trimming, I would probably look at the Giraud, but with as little trimming as I do, that money is better spent on reloading components.

Do you think you’ll add additional calibers at some point?

I might in the future but if I had to guess only 1-2 more. Something to get me further out distance wise than the 6.5. I see what you're getting at though. Adding a caliber to the Giraud would be easy and not very expensive. The price difference right now between the two options is really only around $200. Maybe a little more. Not a lot of money when you consider how much precision shooting costs.

Last edited:
No way you can shoot the difference in .010 trim length unless your shooting full on competition Benchrest, get the Giraud, Buy Once Cry Once

I might in the future but if I had to guess only 1-2 more. Something to get me further out distance wise than the 6.5. I see what you're getting at though. Adding a caliber to the Giraud would be easy and not very expensive. The price difference right now between the two options is really only around $200. Maybe a little more. Not a lot of money when you consider how much precision shooting costs.

Actually I was going the other way sort of. Right now on brownells they have the LE wilson trimmer with stand for 180 plus 12 bucks for a 6.5 case gauge and again for each caliber. That and 105 for a shipped 223 triway will total a few bones less than 300. A giraud set up for one caliber with shipping is going to be like 475. That 200 dollar difference is about right for one set up but if you add another caliber than you would need a case holder which is 35 and then a cutter for another 45 more makes it more of twice the price if you include 223 in the set up. You could do with one cutter but its kind of a pain (not kind of, IT IS) to switch the cut diameter.

So is the ability to cut out your time spent chamfer and deburring to you worth twice the price? Can you tell me how much time you spend in the trimming and chamfer and deburring for those hundred cases a month (or 25 or 50, whatever batch size you work them in)?

(Also, if you are going to neck size that requires something different from giraud and youll need to send in your neck sized brass for him to make it up special. But neck sizing is for neck beards so I hope thats not an issue.)

If you haven't grown to hate trimming yet, you will if you shoot in volume. Trust me. It's one of those mundane tasks that seem to take forever. Add to the fact that once you trim with something like a Wilson trimmer, you then need to come back to your cases and chamfer and debur.

When you look at the grand scheme of things, a few hundred bucks may seem like a lot in the onset. However, years down the road when you factor in saved time, you will be glad you did. The Giraud Power Trimmer was "THE" best, most economical decision I made out of all the reloading tools purchased.

Eh, I use the Wilson trimmer, and an RCBS Trim Mate prep station to do my chamfer/debur. It's not bad, though it's certainly slower than trimming/chamfering/deburring all in one step.

With the volume of shooting that I (don't) do, and the number of cartridges for which I currently/plan to reload, I can live with the additional work given the difference in cost between the Giraud and Lee/RCBS solutions.

Take a look at the Trim It 2. Fast, easy to adjust and works great. Better than the Giraud tri-way. I had both and sold the Giraud. The customer service with the Trim It is very good too.

If you haven't grown to hate trimming yet, you will if you shoot in volume. Trust me. It's one of those mundane tasks that seem to take forever. Add to the fact that once you trim with something like a Wilson trimmer, you then need to come back to your cases and chamfer and debur.

When you look at the grand scheme of things, a few hundred bucks may seem like a lot in the onset. However, years down the road when you factor in saved time, you will be glad you did. The Giraud Power Trimmer was "THE" best, most economical decision I made out of all the reloading tools purchased.

Lots of folks don't shoot in volume.

Nothing wrong with the Giraud, but a $400 trimmer is not worth it for most folks.

Thanks for all the comments. I absolutely hate trimming. I think the best option for me is what I was leaning toward which is the Giraud triway for my bulk .223 and the Wilson for my precision loads. If I start shooting more that may change, but for now I think that will work out great.

I have a RCBS trimmer, a couple of WFT trimmers, and a Giraud Triway

All have their strengths.

I use the RCBS for small batches.

The WFT gets chucked up in the drill, I put my drill in a vice, and go to town. I have to chamfer and debur, but thatÂ’s not a biggie.

The Giraud is pretty slick. Trim, debur and chamfer all in one swoop. It chucks up in the drill just like the WFT. I use it for high volume brass, 223, which I do by the 5 gallon bucket.

I was trying to convince you away from the cost of the giraud because I feel guilty about the price but I just hand chamfer and deburred 50 270 cases... get the giraud if you think you can swing it.

I was trying to convince you away from the cost of the giraud because I feel guilty about the price but I just hand chamfer and deburred 50 270 cases... get the giraud if you think you can swing it.

That's funny. I really don't think I need it at this point and chamfering and deburring, while a pain, doesn't take too much time for the amount I shoot right now.

I’m gonna put in another vote for the trim it 2

It’s a bit harder to adjust the cutter than something preset like the tri way but it’s more reasonably priced considering the opportunity to do other calibers with it. The cutter insert is as far as I could tell identical to the Giraud so it will do the same thing just in a more finicky setup.

I have the Giraud set up for a few calibers because I absolutely loathed trimming by hand. Pricy? Absolutely, but as someone else said, if you haven't grown to hate trimming yet, you will. My time is more valuable to me than money, so I can trim a hundred cases in the time it took me to do 10 by hand on my old lathe style trimmer, plus it chamfers and deburs at the same time. Gotta love a tool that multitasks

Lots of folks don't shoot in volume.

Nothing wrong with the Giraud, but a $400 trimmer is not worth it for most folks.

I understand you feel that way. I was there once too. I came around to my way of thinking after too many hours at the bench trimming (and cleaning up the shavings).

I forgot to mention that my initial trimmer was a Wilson trimmer via hand crank. I then went to the Wilson Trimmer Power Adapter using a cordless drill. That didn't get me where I wanted to be. After 1/3 of the cost (spent on Wilson and components) in towards a Giraud, I bought the Giraud. I wished I had started that route from the get-go.

Last edited:
I understand you feel that way. I was there once too. I came around to my way of thinking after too many hours at the bench trimming (and cleaning up the shavings).

I forgot to mention that my initial trimmer was a Wilson trimmer via hand crank. I then went to the Wilson Trimmer Power Adapter using a cordless drill. That didn't get me where I wanted to be. After 1/3 of the cost (spent on Wilson and compoenents) in towards a Giraud, I bought the Giraud. I wished I had started that route from the get-go.

Sure. Makes sense. My point was just that there are plenty of folks who don't shoot enough volume to justify it, regardless of how much it costs. I have one bolt gun and 350 pieces of brass for it, shoot 1,000 rounds a year and will be trimming around every 2nd or 3rd firing. So I might have to trim 350 cases about once a year. I bought a Hornady trimmer on here for $40 and the pilot on amazon for $10. There's no way the Giraud is worth $350 more.

I get that the Giraud is awesome, but it's not really worth it for a vast majority of shooters.

I get that the Giraud is awesome, but it's not really worth it for a vast majority of shooters.

I would agree with this, even as a Giraud owner. The vast majority of rifle shooters probably send 50 to 100 rounds downrange a year and are more interested in zeroing their rifles before deer/elk/antelope/whatever season. I'd also say if you're only reloading for one caliber, stick with what you currently have. If, however, you are reloading for multiple calibers and your ammo expenditure is high, it's worth looking into

I sold 3 RCBS electric trimmers, all with at least 4- 3way cutter heads for under 200, only one was mine though, so look around, guys that buy Giraud can't get rid of their old gear fast enough.