• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Trimming a manners stock, preferred method?

Hawk Gunner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2007
Mobile, AL
So I have a t5a mini chassis for r 700 and need to drop in a deviant action. The side bolt release needs cut away and ejection port area cut out extended about 1/4".

For you DIY'rs what's y'all preferred tools and methods to remove the stock material.

Thanks in advance for any advice and input!

I did all my trimming with a hand file. Came out great other than one scratch I put down the side. Didn't matter to me though. The rifle is all kinds of scratched up now LOL

A mill is preferred, but someone with a steady hand can do an acceptably neat job with a variety of methods:

1) Sandpaper (preferrably backed with a "block" of suitable size/shape, such as a file)
2) Rotary tool. Also one of the quickest ways to f*ck it up, so work slowly and carefully.
3) Careful use of a router and router table will work, but you'll need to turn the speed down and go slowly.

I had to remove some on my CZ T4 to install a Timney trigger.

I used a Dremel and a sanding drum. I was amazed how quickly it removed material. Be VERY careful with power tools doing this.

I used a sharp wood chisel that easily and neatly cut through the white composite inside my Manners.