• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trimming for gas guns?

BWYoda

Private
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2009
NC/Baghdad
What are some thoughts on reloading once-fired brass without trimming if they're just for AR15 range fodder? I ask because I have a source for once-fired brass and without a giraud can see my evenings disappearing in front of the hand-trimmer I have. I'm sure I'll upset some people by even posing the question!

Re: Trimming for gas guns?

My bolt guns get the brass trimmed to the chamber -.010" Some gas guns have slightly larger chambers. But some are smaller. Go figure.

Make up a dummy and measure the chamber so you'll know how much you have to play with on the case length.

Thank you for your service.

Re: Trimming for gas guns?

To save myself the trimming step, I always measure the length of each piece of brass with an electronic caliper. The full length resizing I have to do for gas guns usually lengthens the neck of the case. By measuring, I know which one is over spec. Those go into the trimming pile.

By doing this, I'm able to cut the number of brass I need to trim by 60%.