• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trimming the Feed Ramp?

clayne_b

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2009
Saratoga Springs, Utah
To start off with.

Remington 700 SPS Varmint

Mcrees Precision Chassis. using the 10 round mag.

Here is what the loaded rounds look like in the mag.

0314131313_zps8f87fc89.jpg

0314131313a_zpsc968dbe3.jpg

0314131342_zps2303f7b2.jpg

When they are to the back of the mag they feed just fine. But after a shot they move forward and will not feed. They are going under the feed ramp. Is it a dumb Idea to trim a little bit off the feed ramp? It seems they are going under about half the gap of what you see between the tip of the bullet and the mag in the pictures above.

I dont really want to mess with the seating depth as they are shooting GREAT

3 at 510 yards

0312131930_zps4d4b5292.jpg

Last edited:
Does the mag fit loose in the mag well? What I mean is does it seat fully into the reciever and mate upto it?

"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ"

I have the same issue in my 700...the mags (which are Alpha Type 4s) are very tight (no slop/play at all) in my Mcrees.

I was planning myself to look into doing it...the Alpha website states you might need to do it w/their mags, since they don't have a spacer plate and let you load longer OALs.

I didn't figure it'd be an issue as long as there's some ramp still to ride up into the chamber....but IANAG :)

You can use a 1/4" or 5/16" end mill to make a cut in the feed rap of approximately 0.125" depth:

2013-03-01_16-49-54_488_zps8cf69fb9.jpg

I had the exact same problem on two guns I had built so I took a red marker and colored the action were the bullets were catching and took apart the rifle then I took a dremmel and ground it back till it was flush with the mag well then I polished the shit out of it feeds like a dream now. Most the custom actions are already opened up for this reason.elm300 The feed ramp is cut almost in half but with the mags sit in so high you really only need about a 1/4 of the top of the feed ramp the feed ramp almost does nothing

I loaded some .308 at 2.890 so they would still fit in McRees AICS mags.
The tips caught on the feed ramp bottom.
Opened up the center of the feed ramp with a 1/4" end mill as pictured.
Rounds would sometimes hang with the front edge of the case mouth catching on the sharp corners from where the slot broke through into the feed ramp.
Radiused and blended the edges of the slot with a dremel.

It feeds very nice now, even better than before I added the slot when feeding 2.800" long rounds.
I mean it's fantastic now, like butter.

I bet an unmodified feed ramp would benefit from radiusing the bottom edge of the feed ramp a little.
Before I did any of this, I'd estimate 1 of every 5 rounds loaded would hang when pushing the bolt forward, and require the bolt backed up a little before pushing forward again.
I think the rounds tend to tip down (since the bolt pushes on the top edge of the base of the case) and the case mouths catch on the square ("sharp") edge of an unmodified feed ramp.

Joe

that's a common alt many people do on factory rem 700s. longer oal rounds often fire a bit better but that result with feeding issues unless a small section is milled or dremeled out the feed ramp. a small notch is all that's needed and it works pretty well!

wow. i was thinking of ordering a Mcrees chassis so that i could use a mag instead of single feeding. if i have to go through this much trouble to get it to work then ill just leave her the way she is. Glad i read this thread.

if i have to go through this much trouble to get it to work then ill just leave her the way she is.

It's only 5-10 minutes of work to create a notch in the feed ramp. "This much trouble" is a bit of a relative measure, but damn, some mornings I spend more time trying to find a matching pair of socks.

wow. i was thinking of ordering a Mcrees chassis so that i could use a mag instead of single feeding. if i have to go through this much trouble to get it to work then ill just leave her the way she is. Glad i read this thread.

I wouldnt say that you have to go through this at all depending on how long you want to load. I have a McRees and only run into issues if I load long. I found that if I keep the rounds under 2.850 i dont get any feeding issues in my rifle.

That said, with my long Rem 700 throat I am likely going to take out the dremel and massage it a bit so I can load to mag length.

-Mark

Standard OAL I have never had a problem with.

Really wasnt to bad to do, I did it by hand with files. a dremel or mill would have made short work of it

I've seen a lot of threads about this, and I'm wondering why no one makes a bottom metal that moves the magazine to the rear. There must be at least a dozen different bottom metal manufacturers and none of them describe how they position the magazine relative to the receiver so I suppose they all have this same problem. The problem with cutting the receiver is that it weakens it in an area where where one of the bolt lugs sits.