• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tripod and mount for spotting scope recommendations

stretch1934

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2011
Southern California (LA)
Can someone recommend a good set-up for a tripod and head for a new Vortex HD spotter I have on order? Use will probably be about 95% at the shooting range. Very little actual field use planned if ever.

Doesn't have to be bargain priced, but not trying to break the bank with carbon fiber stuff.

I see lots of interesting stuff from Manfrotto but have no experience, especially the head, lots of options with the grip adjuster.

Thanks in advance.

I have a Mefoto and I forgot the name of the head but it was about 80.00 bucks. When I get back from out of town I'll take a look. Here is a pic.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Price range around $400-500 for the legs and head seems reasonable on the top end. Only spent a thousand for the spotter

*If you like the joystick I would go with this kit Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 4-Section Carbon Fiber Tripod 055CXPRO4 B&H

*If you want to be more precise with the spotter (because I had trouble with the joystick type heads on getting the reticle align with the target smoothly) I would not think twice about getting this kit
Manfrotto MT190CXPRO3 Carbon Fiber Tripod with MHXPRO-3W 3-Way

I have the Xpro3way head on top of my 057 geared tripod (much bulkier tripod) and love it. Its very light and compact and stores away easily
X-PRO 3-Way Tripod Head | Manfrotto

This manfrotto head has mount for spotter and rangefinder.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
TO 8217, That is the Mefoto Daytrip I am eyeing up right now. But with the standard head on it.

See here: MeFOTO DayTrip Mini Tripod Kits

Do you find the tripod stable enough for that spotter?
Absolutely very stable. I bought the adjustable one that goes to about 5 feet tall and it was around 210.00 then also bought the one you see pictured and it was about 110.00. Legs are nice at stout no worries about shaking in good winds.

From left to right:
Manfrotto 055CXPRO4
NCStar
Vectronix

I use the NCStar the most. Price was about $15 plus shipping.
Once I went to a geared head everything else seemed clumsy.

Attachments

• tripods.jpg
    tripods.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
So I pulled the trigger on the MeFOTO Daytrip. I like it. Reasonably firm for the size and weight. It vibrates a little bit if I tap it, but most of that appears to be in the relatively soft rubber feet. I like the simplicity of the ball head, and it holds the weight of the spotter nicely.

DSCF4091.JPGDSCF4092.JPGDSCF4094.JPGDSCF4096.JPG

Better than the picture might suggest, but some caution may be advisable. To be safe, it would benefit from putting something like a daypack on the outer leg. That said, it will not fall over by itself. I need to tip it so the outer leg lifts some 60mm (~2") off the deck to reach the tipping point. (pic 1)

For context, the centre of the scope in this position is 215 (~8") off the deck. This scope weighs 1180 grams (41.5 oz).

With the legs extended, the height off the deck is 280mm. (pic 2) Very stable now, with the tipping point requiring the outer leg to lift beyond a 110 (4"). The legs halfway extended is enough to make it adequately stable.

After some further experimentation, pic 3 seems the best alternative, at 210 high with the tipping point 100 off the deck.

I can of course hang the scope directly over a leg, but that may defeat the purpose when prone alongside the scope. Also - in my case with an ass heavy scope - it would just tip on its ass instead of its side.

On another note, I suspect that the plastic shims that lock the leg extensions may be unsympathetic to dust / fine sand. Experience will tell.

DSCF4102.JPGDSCF4103.JPGDSCF4104.JPG

Go Manfrotto, you wont regret it. However, I had a pistol grip and i really didn't like it as much as i thought i would; I ended up buying a used Manfrotto 310 geared head. it has both fine and coarse adjustments and just seems more solid. The issue i had with the pistol grip head was that if i bumped the scope or tripod, it took a bit of time for the image to re-stabilize. Also, i could never seem to get the friction adjustment adjusted to hold on what i wanted to see; the target would usually be in the FOV, but always off center, then the fiddiling around started until i got the image centered. it was all kinda frustrating. if you don't think this will be an issue for you, go for it, but, before you do; try starring at an off center image through your spotter for about a minute or two....your eyeball will start to hurt!!

Stretch,
Disregard this if you shoot prone, at a crowded range where you can't spread out, or you mind lugging a 7.5# tripod. The Zhumell astronomical tripod(TR-197-16) is unbelievably sturdy, easy to use companion for your scope and only costs $100. I tried lighter, smaller tripods and they quickly got kicked to the curb with this thing in the arsenal. (although I've not sprung for a high dollar carbon fiber). I have an 85mm vortex HD that lives on this tripod full time now. It is so sturdy, I leave it set up in the house so that I can easily move it outside to glass birds, animals, aircraft etc while they are still actually there. The head is amazingly smooth for a non fluid head and the drag is adjustable, which makes moving targets simple. Honestly, the tripod takes the scope into a whole other realm of useability. It also makes stargazing possible because of the stable platform and ability to cant it back on 1 leg. I marvel at the fact that it was only $100.

At the range, the big tripod is easier to place behind the shooter and set the height over the shooter when you have a separate spotter. Adjustment is easy and positive for people of different heights. The legs have 2 angle settings that allow for incredible versatility with heights. Again, forget this tripod if you have to keep it on the bench top. It is too tall for that use. I place it left of the bench when spotting solo.

Also, my scope fits nicely inside the tripod case along with the tripod. If I were to have only 1 tripod, this would definitely be it. Hint: I taped weights to the control arm to balance the scope so that t I can reduce the drag even further. I don't even need to touch the scope with my hands to adjust it in a standing position. I just touch my chest to the control arm and let my torso do the work. It's downright elegant.

tripod

From left to right:
Manfrotto 055CXPRO4
NCStar
Vectronix

I use the NCStar the most. Price was about $15 plus shipping.
Once I went to a geared head everything else seemed clumsy.

Hi, can you tell me where you got the NCStar tripod ? a link maybe ? i have a cheap old Barska spotter that needs a better tripod and that might work. I dont want to spend much on the tripod for this spotting scope. Tks.

Hi, can you tell me where you got the NCStar tripod ? a link maybe ? i have a cheap old Barska spotter that needs a better tripod and that might work. I dont want to spend much on the tripod for this spotting scope. Tks.
There is one on epay for $13 buy it now. They are available regularly there.