• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tripod for Spotting scope

Jackalope33B

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2010
Sunny Florida
Just got my Vortex Razor 11-33x50 spotting scope today. I mounted it on a cheapo tripod and didnt like it. The tripod has to much wobble in it. What is out there that is descent and not a bank breaker? I have seen some tripods that sell upwards of $300-$400, and those are out of the question!

Manfrotto 190xprob, pick one up for around a $110, stick a cheap ballhead on it and you are good to go.

I've been using a Vortex Ridgeview for several years w/o issues. Not the lightest, but certainly stout enough as long as you're not extended all the way and have a good wind blowing. I have beat the crap out of it and it works well for my uses.

the manfrottos are the best, I agree. I just didn't know if you could get into one for $100 ish. I bought mine used off here, like the 99% of the rest of my stuff LOL.

A good tripod will bring out the best in your spotter.
I bought one of these a while back
Zeiss Manfrotto Carbon Tripod with Fluid Head On Sale!
It's awesome for what it is, a full size tripod.
I also have a cheap $30 tripod I use for my chrono.
Yesterday my Zeiss Diascope 85 T FL with the new Vario 20-75x eyepiece showed up, right as the sun was setting.
I scurried to get it setup on the Zeiss/Manfrotto tripod, and setup the (for sale here on the Hide) Vortex Razor HD 20-60x85 next to it on the other tripod.
The Zeiss was a little brighter in the waning light of dusk but the resolution was far better. I was spotting a small sign in a parking lot a few hundred yards away, and the lettering was sharp as a razor through the Zeiss but the image had that I-can't-quite-focus look that comes from lower resolution through the Razor.
Before I put the whole works away I mounted the Razor on the Zeiss tripod and guess what? The image through the Razor was just as sharp as through the Zeiss.
I could not otherwise detect any sway or vibration mounted on the cheap tripod, but it was there.
The fluid heads are the $hit, too. Having used one, I can't go back.

Joe

Last edited:
Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 with either a Grip handle or Magnesium Ball head. Works great with my Spotter and Hog Saddle. Custom Gun Coatings painted it Desert Tan and did a great job. Light and sturdy.