• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

tripod head options.

Dave1

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2014
Altoona
Picked up a yard sale Bogen 3011 tripod . it has a bogen 3025 head. i want to mount a 44 oz pair of 15x56's on this tripod . i dont like this head to much. can a few guys tell me what they'd do/use for glassing for deer. im not sure if i should go with a 2 way fluid head or pistol grip etc? i also have the rangefinder to fit in somewhere, i may just put it on its own quick release plate, unless somehow mount the 15's on the tripod head and have another spot for rangefinder?
Anyone help !! ?

RRS BH-55 and a long Arca swiss plate. Mount both items to the arca plate or an L plate and you're good to go.

The bh-55 looks nice. I have never tried a ball head so it'd be hard to spend that much without trying one. I have tried someone's cheapo 2way fluid head, wasn't terrible but I thought there may be a better fluid head for the job. I think instead of having a mount for the 15's and rangefinder together, I'll just go with a QR plate. Thanks for the heads-up on the bh55. It does look sweet, I'd like to be able to try and use 1 for glassing to see how it'd work

The bh-55 looks nice. I have never tried a ball head so it'd be hard to spend that much without trying one. I have tried someone's cheapo 2way fluid head, wasn't terrible but I thought there may be a better fluid head for the job. I think instead of having a mount for the 15's and rangefinder together, I'll just go with a QR plate. Thanks for the heads-up on the bh55. It does look sweet, I'd like to be able to try and use 1 for glassing to see how it'd work

I would think that someone at a local match would have one. They have become fairly popular. If you make it to a PRS match, you'll definitely see one.
If prefer a leveling head, depending on the tripod, I'd highly suggest the TA2/3 or TA-U-LC from RRS. They are much better than the other leveling heads I have used.

shaner,
the tripod that will hold these 15x56's is the bogen 3011 tripod. it has a 3025 head on it now. this head isnt to practical for glassing with binos so im looking to change it. i dont know if i should try a 2 way pan/tilt fluid head or what. the tripod has the 3/8'ths threads for connecting new heads.

I've never messed with a 2 way head. I use the RRS TA-U-LC for 10x binos at matches. Its perfect for me. When it locks down its solid. It attaches to the stud on the tripod base.

SHaner,
is there a reason your suggesting a leveling head ? or you just mean they work well for glassing with binocs? i usually just level my tripod bubble. my binos,rangefinder etc have 1/4-20 connections. i'm mainly looking at what all heads guys use for sitting/standing glassing for animals. tripod bolt for new heads is 3/8ths i think.

We have been selling a ton of the Sirui VA-5 Fluid heads. It is ideal for long term glassing. It has a bubble level and uses an Arca swiss plate. Here is the link.

http://cameralandny.com/spec-sheet.html?catalog[name]=Sirui-VA-5-Ultra-Compact-Video-Head-Tripod-heads&catalog[product_guids][0]=1392169

As always we will have special prices for members of the forum
Give me a call. I am happy to help out

We have been selling a ton of the Sirui VA-5 Fluid heads. It is ideal for long term glassing. It has a bubble level and uses an Arca swiss plate. Here is the link.

http://cameralandny.com/spec-sheet.html?catalog[name]=Sirui-VA-5-Ultra-Compact-Video-Head-Tripod-heads&catalog[product_guids][0]=1392169

Doug, do you have a similar fluid head good for 10 kg?

SHaner,
is there a reason your suggesting a leveling head ? or you just mean they work well for glassing with binocs? i usually just level my tripod bubble. my binos,rangefinder etc have 1/4-20 connections. i'm mainly looking at what all heads guys use for sitting/standing glassing for animals. tripod bolt for new heads is 3/8ths i think.

I think you might be better off with a good Ball Head and adjust the tension so the scope etc can be moved but still stays in place, you can buy a good quality one pretty cheap and it will serve you well, and you won't have levers and knobs getting in the way all the time,

hope this helps,

John.

Doug,

Will it work solid in the long term? I have gone though a couple of Manfortos

Cameraland has some of the best gear out there but unless you need the Bubble for Video or SLR cameras then you don't really need a bubble,

I have the Giottos MH-1000 which is Ideal for scopes etc,

These are like the one I have, But the MH-1000 has a 10kg / 22 lb weight rating, which is a bit bigger than the MH-1311-656, If you click on the specs bar at the top you will see all the weight ratings and different sizes/models. with or without quick releases or bubbles.

http://www.giottos.com/pro_view.aspx?nId=8&TypeId=11

hope this helps,

John.

Last edited:
After a long time running the manfroto heads I am over in arca Swiss land these days. The Sirui isn't a bad head at all, but like the Giotto is out of China. Doesn't seem like there are many arca plate compatible heads that aren't either super spendy Euro stuff or china.

consider buying the ball head you want sans adapter system and using the RRS clamp with it.

I have used 2 way fluid heads. They work exactly as described, and it isn't a bad way to roll.

Giottos are very good quality, Just because they are made in China does not mean Low Quality, Leupold Chinese Binoculars are better than the Japanese made models, I don't know why everyone is hell bent on seeing the word China as some form of low grade Item, just before Christmas I bought a Pair of Steiners and one side of them was full of crap, And my Leupold Tripod is made in China, So I guess there is good and bad from all companies not just those based I China.

I have mine mounted on a Manfrotto 055 Alloy Tripod and I would not change either.

After a long time running the manfroto heads I am over in arca Swiss land these days. The Sirui isn't a bad head at all, but like the Giotto is out of China. Doesn't seem like there are many arca plate compatible heads that aren't either super spendy Euro stuff or china.

consider buying the ball head you want sans adapter system and using the RRS clamp with it.

I have used 2 way fluid heads. They work exactly as described, and it isn't a bad way to roll.

Which Arca-Swiss are you using? And in what application/s?

I'm growing very weary of the slop in the adjustments of my Manfrotto Junior Gearhead.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/photos.imageevent.com\/mstn\/maurizio2015\/huge\/FullSizeRender%20copy.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
Giottos are very good quality, Just because they are made in China does not mean Low Quality, Leupold Chinese Binoculars are better than the Japanese made models, I don't know why everyone is hell bent on seeing the word China as some form of low grade Item, just before Christmas I bought a Pair of Steiners and one side of them was full of crap, And my Leupold Tripod is made in China, So I guess there is good and bad from all companies not just those based I China.

I have mine mounted on a Manfrotto 055 Alloy Tripod and I would not change either.

+1

China has the ability to manufacture world-class products.
They are better known for products manufactured to ridiculously low price points, but you get what you pay for.
My Zeiss Diascope 85 FL spotting scope body was made in China, and it's remarkable, with resolution worthy of its 75x magnification eyepiece. I have no doubt that it was assembled to Zeiss's spec from parts that meet Zeiss's spec.
The iPhones that are glued to the ears of half the millennials I see daily are made in China, too.

Years ago I scored a beefy CF tripod and fluid head (marketed by Zeiss, rebranded Manfrotto) from Eurooptic for less than $400 shipped. It's quite sturdy and buttery smooth at the same time. I was so pleased with the fluid head that I bought another one and spun up an adapter to mount it on a sturdy little Giotto for bench/prone use. Either setup is stiff enough to stabilize the Zeiss at 75x.

Last edited:
+1

China has the ability to manufacture world-class products.
They are better known for products manufactured to ridiculously low price points, but you get what you pay for.
My Zeiss Diascope 85 FL spotting scope body was made in China, and it's remarkable, with resolution worthy of its 75x magnification eyepiece. I have no doubt that it was assembled to Zeiss's spec from parts that meet Zeiss's spec.
The iPhones that are glued to the ears of half the millennials I see daily are made in China, too.

Years ago I scored a beefy CF tripod and fluid head (marketed by Zeiss, rebranded Manfrotto) from Eurooptic for less than $400 shipped. It's quite sturdy and buttery smooth at the same time. I was so pleased with the fluid head that I bought another one and spun up an adapter to mount it on a sturdy little Giotto for bench/prone use. Either setup is stiff enough to stabilize the Zeiss at 75x.

Well that is impressive and I am shocked to hear that your Zeiss is made in China, But I have to Agree with you because those Leupold Mk 4 Binoculars are incredible, It seems that China can and does rival any brand out there which is a good thing and in the process that keeps the prices within reach of us all,

When you go on ebay and click on an Item that can take you to some of their sites where I have found gizmos that I have never heard of and some of those items are very high tech, and I think there is more to come from them yet,

I also found that the quality of Giotto to be right up there and with a name like Giotto I was expecting it to say made in Italy, But no it says on the box Made In China, I think that a lot of people get Tunnel vision about Made In China which says more about them than the products, There is good and bad in every Country whether it is Products or people and sales Reps in shops etc use that as a weapon in order to Con us all in to buying a more expensive product. The sooner people wise up to the fact the better, 99% of Our TV's and Computers etc are made over in Asia and Apple are making a killing out of China's abilities to produce high quality products, So If they make something and it is good then people will buy it if those people they can get past their medieval way of thinking.

John.