• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Tripod help

Tyjack7227

Private
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2018
What are you guys running for a tri pod at prs matches, new guy here, only shot one match but realized quick I needed one

I'm using a PIG 0311. It usually seems there is always someone at a match that will let you borrow an RRS if you think that you need it. Or the match usually provides tripods.

They were quick to offer to let me try theirs, just didn’t wanna wear out my welcome by using it every month at the match lol

The PIG is a solid tripod is a pretty solid piece of kit, it is still pretty affordable. Of course the RRS is total bad ass, but your wallet is going to take a pretty good hit. I’m probably going to go with a PIG, but put more $ into a good ball head to go with it.

Reactions: Tyjack7227
I run a RRS with a UniqBall gimbal head. It's a badass setup, but it's expensive and certainly more of a luxury item in my shooting collection.

PVA is making more budget friendly carbon fiber Tripods, they look pretty nice, but IMO the heads are the weak part of that package. Not sure what your budget is, but would be worth looking at their legs and pairing it with a higher quality head.

So my buddy owns two vets sporting goods and he offers a very nice carbon fiber setup that is on the same level as the rrs but is less than half the pricing. I own one and love it. You can check it out
https://www.twovetssportinggoods.com/collections/tripods/products/two-vets-sporting-goods-tripod.
Threat unit let him know Rexx sent you and he will take care of you.

I have one as well and they are a very nice unit. Light weight and well made. Definitely check them out as you can save some money but not have to worry about quality.

I looked at that PIG for shooting from. I may go with their compact one some day. I just got this Sirui for a spotting scope but it'll support 17.6lbs., so if it'll work for shooting from I may just get another one of those, can be used in prone. But I think I'd like one of those 3 position gear driven heads, although a good ball mount would probably make more sense.

I started with the Feisol 3342, then switched to the 3372, a while later I switched to the RRS TVC-33 with the Anvil-30 (where I am now), and am very happy with the RRS + Anvil-30. The 3342 was too small, 3372 good size but I liked being able to run the compact Anvil-30 in the configuration with the Anvil-30 apex conversion. Your budget is going to dictate a lot of your choices in this area...

I have one as well and they are a very nice unit. Light weight and well made. Definitely check them out as you can save some money but not have to worry about quality.
what's a good head to run with them?

Attachments

• 06755E03-4ABA-464A-ABAC-85591AC6FA31.jpeg
    06755E03-4ABA-464A-ABAC-85591AC6FA31.jpeg
    840.5 KB · Views: 149
what's a good head to run with them?

Still working on this myself. Just got a Kopfjager Reaper head and working with it now but going to try some others too. Going to try a few different set ups to see what works best for me.

I run a leofoto 364c. It’s rated for 70+lbs, extremely solid. Pm me if you’re interested, I can get you in contact with my dealer.

Reactions: Cjwise5
to me it seems like the rrs is very trendy. i think their are lots of good tripods out there look for one with good weight limits.

this being said i just bought a rrs tripod.

im a believer in the buy once cry once saying

Leofoto 364 or the 404 are the way to go. I use the 404 and it’s rock solid and rated for around 100lbs but it’s a little heavier than the 364.

Interested here too. What equipment/accessories would one use to mount the rifle? Would an RRS 55-BH Ball Head work? If so, what other accessories are needed to have a complete setup to mount a precision rifle? Sorry for all the questions. Fairly new to the tripod arena and very interested in options and equipment setup. Thanks, in advance!

I know its tough to justify buying a Really Right Stuff. But its worth it! Why buy a tripod for 2/3rds the price and then have buyers remorse a week later. There are other great tripods out there. But I feel If you are going to commit to this sport it wouldnt be a bad idea to invest in the right tool for the job.

I need to know if the RRS TA-3 will work properly on the Leofoto 364C? Ive heard it will and it wont. Some say it will but doesn't lock in completely? Can anyone say for sure?

I'll probably get stoned for recommending this one, but I bought this tripod and works well. It's lightweight so I can throw it in a pack and it doesn't bother me when I'm hunting, works great for the matches I've shot, it's rated to hold 33 lbs (locks my RPR and AR10 into them just fine and the ballhead doesn't slip at all. The center column can be taken out so the legs will lay out completely flat if needed, and I only spent $130 on it (plus some spray paint since I will be using it for hunting as well). Is it as good as a Feisol or RRS tripod? No. Does it work well for everything I need it for, from matches to hunting? Absolutely. If you look at it, make sure to look at the upgraded version, not the original.

Neewer Upgraded Tripod

View attachment 6937141
Look really nice

I know its tough to justify buying a Really Right Stuff. But its worth it! Why buy a tripod for 2/3rds the price and then have buyers remorse a week later. There are other great tripods out there. But I feel If you are going to commit to this sport it wouldnt be a bad idea to invest in the right tool for the job.
I totally agree!

I have a Manfrotto 055. Way too heavy to pack around for field use for me, primarily for hunting. I did some research years back and came across SLIK tripods. I have several models now for rifle platforms under 10 lbs and my LR platforms that are from 10-17 lbs. They fit my budget and meet all my need without spending $800-1,500.00 on a tripod. IF I had the money, I would buy a RRS tripod.

Attachments

• DSCN0010.JPG
    DSCN0010.JPG
    719.3 KB · Views: 61
So my buddy owns two vets sporting goods and he offers a very nice carbon fiber setup that is on the same level as the rrs but is less than half the pricing. I own one and love it. You can check it out
https://www.twovetssportinggoods.com/collections/tripods/products/two-vets-sporting-goods-tripod.
Threat unit let him know Rexx sent you and he will take care of you.

I took your advice and checked out your buddies site. That Tripod looks awesome. Sure looks like one that is going to last. I don't know how the different mounts work together, and was hoping someone could give me some help. I just received my first MPA BA Comp Chassis. I'm wanting a simple, durable, tripod. Do I only need the "No Name" Tripod and the Leveling Base? Will this setup lock the chassis in position and hold it, or do I need any additional pieces. Besides the extra range of motion, does a ball help? I would also like to try and use the tripod for shooting prone. I'm not sure if anyone is doing this already, so please feel free to chip in with any suggestions pro or con.

The PVA tripod seems to be a solid option as well

For prone shooting I feel there are better options.
I've got the 40 Mike Mike tripod from Two Vets and am very happy with it.
Have only used it with my pig saddle so far as I need to get rails to match the head.

Reactions: Rexx1029