• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Tripod Leg Wraps

NodakBarbarian

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2019
North Dakota
Wondering what y’all wrap your tripod legs with to help aid in using it as rear support? I have a QDT on order.

Lots of companies make leg wraps. True north raven, Sun shadow, sunrise tac gear to name a few

I wrapped my legs with KT tape, mainly to keep the carbon fiber from being scratched up.

I started out with some tennis racket grip tape but ended up with some baseball bat tape that I love. Alien Pros was the brand, they have tons of different colors and patterns. 1 pack of 3 is good for 1 leg.

I started out with some tennis racket grip tape but ended up with some baseball bat tape that I love. Alien Pros was the brand, they have tons of different colors and patterns. 1 pack of 3 is good for 1 leg.
Does it provide a little cushion? I’ve borrowed a few different QDT’s while at matches, it can make a difference what you wrap it in.

It's funny I've looked at various commercial offerings and keep asking myself "what will that do for you?" Can't come up with a real good answer so I haven't acted.

I saw a picture once of someone with a pistol holster attached to their tripod and thought.."What kind of silly ass Timmie shit is that? How F'ing stupid."
So I'm hunting last week, really getting to put my tripod to use for the first time and thought to myself, you know what would go good on here? A holster! lmao
So now I'm back to thinking covers might be a good way to attach one.

Reactions: TheOtherAndrew
It's funny I've looked at various commercial offerings and keep asking myself "what will that do for you?" Can't come up with a real good answer so I haven't acted.

I saw a picture once of someone with a pistol holster attached to their tripod and thought.."What kind of silly ass Timmie shit is that? How F'ing stupid."
So I'm hunting last week, really getting to put my tripod to use for the first time and thought to myself, you know what would go good on here? A holster! lmao
So now I'm back to thinking covers might be a good way to attach one.
Hate when that happens.

Whats the ideal behind the leg wraps? Just more grip?I've often seen guys tripods all kitted out with leg wraps, slings and the rock bag thingies, they look cool but not conviced they are all that useful.

I recently added a sling to my tripod and it's kind of a pain in the arse, it does'nt carry well unless it's upside down, with I find less than ideal with optics attached.
The rock bag thing looks handy for chucking things on, seems like hanging my pack off the tripod is just as convient as a place to store things that I need access to (as thats were they are usually kept).

I use wrap so when im holding my chassis against it during a stage, against the leg, it has a little bit of "squish" or give in it, to help fine tune. When the bqck of the chassis is hard against a carbon tube, it will scratch it up, and also not have any give to squish around to help fine tune for impacting steel.

I use push bike handle bar wrap. 2 in a pack for $10, and are just the right amount of squishy, and have double sided tape / adhesive backing already on it.

Also holster... I kinda. Kinda want...

Reactions: NodakBarbarian
I use wrap so when im holding my chassis against it during a stage, against the leg, it has a little bit of "squish" or give in it, to help fine tune. When the bqck of the chassis is hard against a carbon tube, it will scratch it up, and also not have any give to squish around to help fine tune for impacting steel.

I use push bike handle bar wrap. 2 in a pack for $10, and are just the right amount of squishy, and have double sided tape / adhesive backing already on it.

Also holster... I kinda. Kinda want...

How does it hold up in the rain? I’ll find out because I ordered some.

Last edited:
Reactions: iceng
How does it hold up in the rain? I’ll find out because I ordered some.
Should hold up fine in the rain.
Cyclists cycle in the rain all the time and aren't having to replace bar tape very frequently at all.

Tripod Leg.JPG

Reactions: Sleeman