• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tripod question

texasleftychef

Private
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2011
Fort Worth, Texas
I’ve got a Espod 223AP tripod that I found amongst my dads camera gear after he died. I don’t know hardly anything about tripods other than wish I would have found one that said really right stuff on it. The top for not knowing a better term had what looks to be a flat plate with with a spring loaded lever quick disconnect. It says Vanguard on the side of it.

My my question is what do I need to hook my SR25 to this ? And later possibly my JAE 700 build ? Or is this tripod such a pos I need to go in another direction.

Thanks in advance.

In my opinion, you would be much better off using this tripod to mount your spotting scope, or laser rangefinder. If you’ve spent the money to buy high quality rifles and accessories, it doesn’t make much sense to handicap them by mounting them on an inferior tripod. A quick look at Vanguard’s website doesn’t show a model 223AP. It may be a discontinued model, but if I decoded their model numbers correctly, 223AP should indicate that your tripod has three section legs. The largest of the leg sections should be 22mm in diameter. The legs should be made of aluminum, and it should have a pan head on top. The model 233AP listed on their site has a maximum weight rating of 7.7lbs. Yours should be rated at slightly less than that, since the legs are smaller in diameter. This is nowhere near the capacity you need for mounting your rifles. At best, it will be unstable. The worst-case is when you break your tripod, your rifle may go along for the ride.

Ok so I have read the six page tripod thread and have found some answers but still have questions. It seems to me that the way to go is the direct mount with the arca Swiss plate and a really right stuff leveling base. I’d like to obviously not break the bank but not cut corners either. Uses for this are mostly hunting from a ground blind, a raised blind and for some classes in the future. Weight isn’t the biggest concern for me right now.

So I found a new rail by J Allen that looks like the ticket for my JAE rifle but can some recommend the right plate for my SR25 with the URX 3.1 rails? Also I see there are several of the leveling bases too. Any help on which way to go here would be appreciated. And still leaves me with which tripod to consider as well.

Thanks in in advance for your help.