• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tripod questions

Highbrass

Pew Tang Clan
Minuteman
Planning a P Dog hunt in a few months and I think a tripod will be the best way to shoot from. I will never use one in competition so I don't want to spend a fortune. What would be a decent model heavy enough for my 12lb 6Creed?

Manfrotto tripods were all the rage before RRS was a thing. They haven’t gotten lower quality. But, any decent tripod is going to set you back several hundred dollars. If p-dog hunting from a tripod is going to be a thing, ponying up the money for the more expensive option may be the way to go.

Reactions: Emerson0311
This might fit your needs.

Hunting pdogs from a tripod is definitely the move. We have been doing it for several years and it’s very effective not to mention the most fun you can have shooting a gun. As with all shooting off a tripod get the best one you can. We use rrs but there are some other options out there

Tripod is the way to go. I started with a Amazon China special. It worked and still does. It’s heavy
The Two Vets Sporting Goods tripods are awesome.
Call Dan and chat he will point you to the one best for you.
I love the QDT!

For the $$ the Leofoto tripods aren’t bad. I would pick whichever of those meet what you’re looking for and then look for a used RRS ball head like a BH55LR. You can get them around $300 pretty regularly and none of the imported heads hold a candle to them, they’re 100% worth the price difference.

images

ice-and-cold-glass-bottles-of-beer.jpg

and a bikini model . what more could you need .

Reactions: beretta_man11
Hunting pdogs from a tripod is definitely the move. We have been doing it for several years and it’s very effective not to mention the most fun you can have shooting a gun. As with all shooting off a tripod get the best one you can. We use rrs but there are some other options out there
I don’t know. I took the wife deer hunting some years ago. We had a couple of “pickle buckets” to sit one. Based on the actual use case, I’ll take the pickle bucket over the tripod. Funny enough, even with the racket, we had deer come out into the clearing…

But, yeah, get a tripod too…

People have made a lot of recommendations, and most make sense from their perspective.

I shoot PD's every year off a tripod, and to be honest, anything will work except the cheapest of Velbon's/chinesium.

If you're willing to take some advice, I'd say get a tac table of some sort. With dog towns typically covering a wide arc, something you can shift easily and will work better than being clipped in, unless you're spending top dollar for a decent ballhead. The cheap route is a PIG0311, some cheapo Leophoto ball head and a tac table (of some sort) with a bag on the table. You can make a decent tact table with a cheap ARCA rail adapter D&T'ed into aluminum plate, or even plywood with some nuts JB welded into the wood (counter sink on the other side, then JB weld the nuts in place on the opposite side of the ARCA rail adapter). Back in the day, before tripods were all the rage in LR shooting, this is what we did to make "cheaters" (bunny ear bag, attached to a cheap tripod) to help shoot from the sitting position. Tripod and bag supported the front, elbows on knees provided the rear support. The larger tac tables today do away with the need for rear support.

Anyways, using a large flat bag on the table will allow you to pivot the rifle onto target without having to screw with the tripod. On small targets, that have limited exposure time, getting on target quickly is key. Plus, you can just leave the rifle laying across the bag when you need to sit back and drink a coke/beer/iced tea/whatever, and the rifle won't fall off or roll over.

At least that's JMTCW from shooting PD's for the past 20 yrs or so off a tripod of some fashion or other (before a carbon fiber tripod was even a thing).

I have a Chicom tripod I use for my spotting scope. It has a gimble type mount. I put a plate on my rifle just to try it out and it seems not bad.
After looking a bit I kinda like the idea of a Bog W Deathgrip.?
I saw one of our members STI2021? Sells a ballhead conversion. Looks like I could go that route for about $300 ??
20230219_214007.jpg

I'm very pleased with my Slik.

I called B&H and got hooked up with a good Slik and Siruiu head and clamp for less than $350 I believe