• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tripod Rests - Yes or No

Direct_Fire

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2013
Bham, AL
I'm trying to find another option for a shooting rest other than the normal bipod or bags. I have been looking at tripods for awhile and I am still on the fence about the idea. I did a search for this and it did not yield many results that were helpful. My main question is: is there any real advantage to having a tripod over a bipod or bags? I do most of my shooting from the ground and not off a bench. I also split my shooting between a DPMS Bull 24 and a Southwest Precision R700 in a AICS 1.5 so the tripod attachment has to be wide enough to fit the AICS.

If you're just shooting from the prone on the ground and don't see any reason to shoot from another position then a tripod is not really going to be of much use to you. Sounds like you just need a bipod. Some tripods get low enough to use from the prone but the real advantage of them is for shooting from positions where a bipod won't work. The other option to look at is a gun sled but those are used typically from a bench but can be used on the ground.

Why does a bipod or bags not work for you, what are you trying to do?

I'm really just trying to look for alternate shooting platforms. Just trying it see if the tripod option is worth the money for me. It sounds like tripods are more for seated and standing positions. Thanks for the advice.

My PRS high tripod works just fine for prone shooting, but a bipod is quicker and easier. I use mine for hunting. It allows me to shoot at a mediocre level from kneeling or standing, which I cannot do without the tripod.