• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tripod Selection

3bnRanger

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Seeking advice prior to a department purchase of quality tripods. They need to accommodate a wide range of adjustment (prefer a range of around 10" to 72") while being highly portable (think side sleeve of an Eberlestock G4). Need to handle the dead weight of a fully outfitted tactical rifle (glass, NV optic, etc.) being held in a Hog Saddle. Wanted to check to see if there was anything else out there that can beat the price point and quality of the Bogen/Manfrotto steups.

Thanks.

Probably not. I have a bogpod I use that does real well and does about 18" to 72". It's solid until you get fully extended then I think it's too spongy. It is very light tho. A carbon manfrotto is probably as good as it gets.

Check out this gear from Precision Rifle: Store - PRECISION RIFLE SOLUTIONS, LLC I just ordered the Heavy Duty tripod with a SSP-2 for my McMillan A5. The folks there couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. The Heavy Duty setup is the same kit as used by the US Army sniper teams, and should be a very sturdy setup. I haven't gotten mine yet, but every review I've read says that the owners love them!

you probably won't be able to find any tripod as sturdy as a manfrotto with a hog saddle. I do not personally own one however a friend of mine has that set up so I shoot off that set up often. I do have a precision rifle solution tripod which is nice and pretty sturdy the folded length is around 26" with a minimum heights is 10 and maximum is 70. My only issue with the tripod is that at the minimum height the legs are spread wide I think

+ 1 on Store - PRECISION RIFLE SOLUTIONS, LLC ......great CS and the pod is very sturdy...biggest bang for the buck....we use it alot in training and it works well.

20131020_124753_zpsbc4e4978.jpg

Just got a Slik carbon fiber equivalent of the HD tripod from PRS. It's about $100 less than the manfrotto, and about 2 lbs less than the aluminum Slik. I didn't bother with the head, as it's just going to stay under my PIG Saddle. Only had it a few days, but doing a 50 hr sniper school starting tomorrow, so it'll get used a bit.

20131020_124753_zpsbc4e4978.jpg

Just got a Slik carbon fiber equivalent of the HD tripod from PRS. It's about $100 less than the manfrotto, and about 2 lbs less than the aluminum Slik. I didn't bother with the head, as it's just going to stay under my PIG Saddle. Only had it a few days, but doing a 50 hr sniper school starting tomorrow, so it'll get used a bit.
so without the head on your set up, you're able to pan left and right?

I did with the center column all the way down - didn't try it with it up and locked. Will try it tomorrow. Just got it a few days ago. All the way up is too tall for me - but I'm only 6-04. ;) I don't see my using the center column much.

yup, i'd like to hear your thoughts on it after the training...make sure to post 'em up...thanks

I have the PRS SLIK tripod and have been using it with both the PRS saddle and an alamo 4 star DLOC-M pic rail mount adapter. I am happy with how each works. However, I recently picked up a PIG saddle and after putting it on the SLIK tripod I found that it, combined with my rifle, was too much weight for the small ball head of the SLIK tripod to hold in place. The size of the PIG puts too much leverage on the head apparently.

I was about to pull the trigger on a HD tripod on PRS's site and just mount it direct to the tripod when I decided to go see what was out there on e-bay. Found a lightly used model manfrotto 3221G for the right price. It's an older model but I'm surprised more people aren't using this model as it's specs are the same as the 190 carbon version, only 2lbs heavier but it looks a whole lot more robust. Plus it comes in green to boot.

i5p2j5.jpg

x0r804.jpg

Go with the Manfrotto.
First...compare it to the Gitzo, you'll be thinking how inexpensive the Manfrotto is ;-)
But the reason I suggest Manfrotto to my clients (I supply the photo industry) over many of the other brands is parts availability.
If a leg clamp breaks on a Manfrotto...well, $20 and you're up and running...if I don't have the part in stock the distributor does.
Same with a lever, or any other part of any Manfrotto tripod built in the last 25 years.
With many of the others a broken part means you replace the tripod.

I am not high speed low drag, but I actually have a very good suggestion for your need. I a few y ago I was looking for a high quality, light wght, SHORT folded length. I already had Manfrotto, and would have bought their Carbon Fiber, but the dont make a 5 section leg model, and I want shortest folded length possible. They only make 3 and 4 section models. I found the Promaster System Pro T525P, which is every bit the quality( and price) of Manfrotto. It is 14 3/16 Folded height, Max working height of 53 inches with Center columm extended. wght 2lb, 3oz and superbly engineered. The shortest Manfrotto carbon fiber I could find was about 22 inches long Folded. I couldnt be happier with it. I am pretty sure a better, lighter , stronger, tripod of that Folded length doesnt exist. I use it with a HOG SADDLE and it works great.
Cameraland sells them. They give 20 percent discount for SH( if that helps non military contract buyers).

yup, i'd like to hear your thoughts on it after the training...make sure to post 'em up...thanks

Been looking for a carbon tripod since I got a pig on order, what model is that Silk?

It's the PRO 823 CF. OK - when the friction lock on the center column is locked it pans. When the wing nut screw thingy is locked it doesn't. I didn't use it a lot today, but I did play with it a little. Seemed to work fine. I can put it on my eberlestock, but it is a little taller than I would like. Didn't have time for pics. Will try tomorrow. So far, pretty happy with the setup. Needs paint, though.

Look up this site on what you might be wanting centermassinc.com

It depends on your price area but both PRS and Manfrotto are good. I was going to go with a PRS then looked on Ebay and found my Manfrotto which was still brand new but 50% of the MSRP price, same with the head. All I ended up getting from PRS was their saddle rest. The Manfrotto 458 is what I'm sold on for making immediate adjustments whether I'm out hunting or at work and need instant results.

Sorry - didn't get a chance to snap a pic with the tripod on the eberlestock. Very busy week (5, 12-hour days).

Overall, the larger Slik tripod is much more stable than the lighter duty one (mark one up for the no shit list). The carbon fiber version has twist-type leg locks, as does the center post. Problem is, when you're in a hurry, you're a gorilla, and somewhat ham-fisted, you can over-tighten the twist locks. I didn't break anything permanently, but I managed to break the rubber free from the locking mechanism (held on by some sort of adhesive). This caused me to be unable to tighten the center post without the wing nut lock thingy. Then it wouldn't pan. Not that big a deal, honestly, as you just put it where you want it, then lock it. I didn't shoot movers from the standing. A friend is going to use some sort of epoxy on it that he says will not come off so easily.

The Pig Saddle was great. I liked being able to get off the gun, and it still be where I left it. Playing with sling tension for a little bit of extra stability is a must. I didn't miss not having a head - you can put the rifle in at some pretty good angles, then snug it down. It's not as fast into action as the PRS saddle head, but it is more stable. Both have their place.

I really didn't get to shoot with it as much as I wanted, but I have an idea how it works. Again - needs paint. For the cost difference, right now the Slik seems like a great deal. Of course, if it falls apart over the next few years I'll be all pissy about it. Time will tell. I do wish it folded a little shorter - they have 4-section legs available, but I didn't buy those because I was tight on money at the time and the school was coming up.

Tag for later. That 3221G looks stout!

I will say, it is very positive feeling compared to the Slik I have but you really can't compare the 2 to one another. The 3221 is an older model number for what is now the manfrotto 055xprob. What I also really like about it are the feet. You can rotate/screw them upward so spikes are exposed when you need a firmer hold.

In my hunt for a tripod I came across a good deal of info I've never seen mentioned on the forums here or elsewhere. Seems everyone is content with the tripods that have been mentioned already (Slik, manfrotto 190, 322rc2 head,) as the defacto kings. Not saying anything negative about them other than that they can be expensive. However, if one trolls ebay looking at tripods, you will find a vast variety of tripods and heads used for photography and basically still look new. Often times they are models not heard about on gun forums. But a little research on my part found that older model number versions as well as model names of tripods are out there to be had for a very good deal. In my search for a decent price on a 322rc2 head, I came across one that was still attached to the 3001 PRO tripod, both of which look new, for less than the 322rc2 head sells for. So of course I picked it up in a heart beat. Figuring I'd chuck the 3001 in the corner, I looked into the specs on it and was pleasantly surprised to find it is an older model number in the now 190prob line. Apparently Manfrotto also has/had an identical line but under the name Bogen which I believe is mfgrd in another country than Italy. So manfrotto/bogen produced a 3001 model that is now known as the 190 line. There are a lot of these tripods out there and they are very well priced and in typically what would be new or excellent condition as most photogs baby their gear.

Now there is a bit of difference within model lines, such as aluminum vs newer carbon models and features. But unless you absolutely have to have a carbon fiber model, the aluminum ones work fine for what we are using them for. In the article I've linked below and in other articles I've read, photographers are critical of tripod weights and as I kept reading and looking at the different models I had in hand I realized that they tend to split hairs on differences in weight between tripods. What they consider heavy to carry around or use is a joke compared what some of us commonly carry around now. Holding each tripod model in hand and while noting a variance in weight between the two, I wasn't struck as one was unacceptable weight wise for carrying in my ruck and I'm a guy who cuts his toothbrush in half to save on weight/space. What photographers complain about is at most a pound but usually less. What I did note was given the slight weight difference, the 055xprob feels and is more robust than the 190/3001 so the weight difference is offset by the gain in stability and build, as well as listed weight capacity. I'm not saying the 190/3001 is not up to it, just that you can see and feel where that additional weight has gone into. I've since changed my mind and am keeping the 3001/190 as it is a good tripod but the 055xprob/3221 is the king IMO and the one to go with if you're shooting a really heavy gun and aren't worried about the slight weight increase over the 190/3001. It is however probably the end of the line for shooters as any thing higher in the model line would really be too heavy to carry around and use.

The article linked below does a good comparison of what the differences are between 190/055 models with pros and cons but the thing to keep in mind is that they are also talking about the older 3001 aka 190 and 3221 aka 055 models, which as I said can be found out there for really good prices if you shop around. Also keep in mind when shopping around on the net to use Bogen and the model number in place of manfrotto as you will get even more results. The linked articles explains how Manfrotto and Bogen are the same thing.

Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod review, 055XPROB vs 055CXPRO3 vs 190CXPRO3 vs 190XPROB | Cameralabs

Here are the spiked feet I mentioned.

200SPK3.jpg

Last edited:
Tripod Selection

Where are you guys buying your manfrottos from? Online or brick n' mortar

Best online price and shipping?

Last edited:
Tripod Selection

Where are you guys buying your manfrottos from? Online or brick n' mortar

Best online price and shipping?

I snagged a 055CXPRO3 for $25 at a thrift store with a Manfrotto head. Lucky! But, eBay is hit or miss. With photographers those things are like chum in the water.

Keep eyes open on ebay some good deals, but it's a hit an miss like said earlier. Been stopping by my local goodwill store too.