• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tripod shopping, what to look for in a shooting tripod?

cuz

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2017
I'd like to pick up a tripod for my precision rimfire rifle but don't know what features I should be looking for.
What are some reasonably priced tripods and what head unit should be considered?
No hunting, just for use at the range, and for learning how to use one for shooting.
Any and all recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks.

What’s your budget? I have a leofoto 404c with a leveling head and that’s inctedibly stable for shooting off of. It’s about $600. Leveling heads are generally more stable than ball heads to shoot off of, but good ball heads can be just as stable. If you’re using it for competitions, you could also just get legs and screw a plate on top to put a bag on. Generally, larger diameter legs are more stable as well.

I went down this road last year when shopping for my first tripod. What I wanted out of mine was for glassing and as a support for positional shooting (rear support, shoot off the top of it, reverse slope, etc.). I was also in the midst of buying other rifle stuff so didn’t have the coin to drop on a high-end tripod.

I ended up with a Two Vets Recon (three section) as the one that fit my needs. Later I added a leveling head with an arca clamp so I could attach my bino clamp. The tripod is one of my most used items in my kit and always goes to the range. I use it as a rest for spotting/ranging, I have a small white board attached to one of the legs to write my dope on, I dry fire off of it, use it for rear support when shooting off barricades, and shoot off of it. For dry fire or practice what’s neat about it is I can replicate shooting off different heigh barricades with just the tripod. One of the reasons why I got the Recon vs a model with a narrower wider head was I felt like the wider head would give me a more stable platform to shoot off of with a bag. It doesn’t pack down as compact as some of the other models, but for now I’m not packing very much or going very far with my tripod. Maybe my next tripod will be more compact if I get into rucking.

I mostly use a Schmedium on top of the head to shoot off of, but seeing as I have an arca clamp on top sometimes I’ll clip the rifle in and shoot that way. I’m currently on the fence on what I prefer (bag or clip in). I feel like I’’m just as stable either way and the bag gives me more freedom to pan or change shooting angles on the fly. I will say that the leveler doesn’t have as much adjustability to clip in for high angle shots compared to a traditional ball head, but it works for what I am doing (predominantly NRL & PRS matches).

Reactions: FireFoot
I started with a pig 0311G tripod and fb 52 ball head

Then bought PVA Comp 40 with RRS Anvil 30 of the px here.

Didn’t realize how much better the PVA/RRS combo would be. Especially the anvil head. World of difference

I think the two vets is the same tripod and the PVA. Or close to it. Either way swing the RRS anvil if you can

Plenty of Chinese Carbon Fiber tripods out there that are copies of other companies. If cost is your biggest concern, but try to avoid that if possib.e

I had some great Carbon Fiber tripods from when I shot film more than lead. So I'm using some Gitzo and Manfrotto tripods.

If I were looking for something, I'd stick with RRS, Gitzo, or Manfrotto. They've been in the tripod market for a long time.

From my experience
The less leg sections the more stable - however, the less compact it will get
The larger diameter the tubes the mores stable - however, they are heavier

If I were looking right now, I'd probably go with an inverted tripod too, but I haven't really used one regularly. I did play around with one for about 20 minutes and it was faster to deploy because you can loosen, adjust length, and then tighten without ever having to move your hand.

What’s your budget? I have a leofoto 404c with a leveling head and that’s inctedibly stable for shooting off of. It’s about $600. Leveling heads are generally more stable than ball heads to shoot off of, but good ball heads can be just as stable. If you’re using it for competitions, you could also just get legs and screw a plate on top to put a bag on. Generally, larger diameter legs are more stable as well.
I haven't given too much thought to budget, but under $600 would be about right. I have a question about the leofoto 404C, I just looked it up. Do you even need a ball or leveling head???
Can you just setup the tripod without any head and just throw your gamechanger bag on top if the big flat part on top and shoot off that?

Obviously, I'm making it pretty clear that I know NOTHING when it comes to using a tripod, but from looking at pics, this setup could work for general range use and target practice and allow me to use it for a while as I save up for a decent head. It may even help me decide which head to use. Just wondering.

Started with the PIG 0311 tripod with pig saddle which I still have but upgraded to a Fatboy two section with their invert ballhead. It’s definitely been a worthy upgrade. Plus Fatboy American made lifetime warranty.

How do Athlon Tripods compare to others in the same price range? They include both a ball and leveling head so you don't have to choose. Is it a good entry level / starter tripod?

Can you just setup the tripod without any head and just throw your gamechanger bag on top if the big flat part on top and shoot off that?
Yes. In fact for about 6 months that is exactly how I used my tripod. Schmedium on top for both shooting as well as glassing. Works just fine.

Reactions: cuz
I haven't given too much thought to budget, but under $600 would be about right. I have a question about the leofoto 404C, I just looked it up. Do you even need a ball or leveling head???

Obviously, I'm making it pretty clear that I know NOTHING when it comes to using a tripod, but from looking at pics, this setup could work for general range use and target practice and allow me to use it for a while as I save up for a decent head. It may even help me decide which head to use. Just wondering.
Absolutely. I do prefer clipping in vs a bag though. I have shot a lot of positional one bag stuff and the bag is not as stable as the leveling head is. I think the leveling head that comes with it as a kit is pretty cheap. PRS members get like 15-20% off leofoto and I think they have codes floating around.

Absolutely. I do prefer clipping in vs a bag though. I have shot a lot of positional one bag stuff and the bag is not as stable as the leveling head is. I think the leveling head that comes with it as a kit is pretty cheap. PRS members get like 15-20% off leofoto and I think they have codes floating around.
Thanks, I forgot about the PRS discount, I joined a couple of months ago when I bought my AmeChanger to get me started.

if you decide on athlon, consider calling the guys at cameralandny.com.
supporting sponsors is good, plus they are nice guys.

lol, I was just checking out the Field Research Optics tripods on their site.
I have a lot of research to do, I want to be ready to jump on a good deal for Black Friday.

The vortex product (radian) is pretty much a straight up copy of the leofoto. Grab a vortex cert from euro and get a tripod and leveling head for less than these other options. Shoot bag on apex for awhile. Eventually add a RRS Anvil 30 and you’ll be all set.

The leofoto SA series, specifically the SA-364 with the MA-30L head(closest ripoff to the RRS Anvil) is really hard to go wrong with. eBay is the cheapest place I've seen them, but I haven't heard of the PRS discount.

The leofoto SA series, specifically the SA-364 with the MA-30L head(closest ripoff to the RRS Anvil) is really hard to go wrong with. eBay is the cheapest place I've seen them, but I haven't heard of the PRS discount.
With absolutely zero practical experience and only limited Google and YouTube surfing, I seem to be liking the Leofoto LN-364C tripod, mostly because it has a nice big flat surface I can prop my bag on until I figure out what type of head I need.
I’m also liking the Athlon tripods because they come as a complete kit with nothing else to worry about.

With absolutely zero practical experience and only limited Google and YouTube surfing, I seem to be liking the Leofoto LN-364C tripod, mostly because it has a nice big flat surface I can prop my bag on until I figure out what type of head I need.
I’m also liking the Athlon tripods because they come as a complete kit with nothing else to worry about.

Or just add “big flat surface” to the small apex tripod, another option. A 1/2” plywood size how you want it with a 3/8” t-nut will screw right down to the tripod, no head needed. Ideally sized ti fit your shooting bag.

Or just add “big flat surface” to the small apex tripod, another option. A 1/2” plywood size how you want it with a 3/8” t-nut will screw right down to the tripod, no head needed. Ideally sized ti fit your shooting bag.
There is a difference in stability by spreading out the tops of the legs and making the apex of the tripod higher.

I've got the SA-403C, sold the leofoto MA-30L head and bought a RRS Anvil to go in it's place.
eBay link sa-403

Okay - And you just suggest to add more instability right back into the system by adding the head, both in the head itself and the apex height increase? But seriously, the question was talking about shooting off a bag on the tripod, those differences aren’t going to show up in shooting.

Okay - And you just suggest to add more instability right back into the system by adding the head, both in the head itself and the apex height increase? But seriously, the question was talking about shooting off a bag on the tripod, those differences aren’t going to show up in shooting.
Yes and no. The one I linked is a step up in leg size, less sections, so should be more stable. And it is. I have tried both side by side and the 40mm leg makes a huge difference. Also it includes a pretty good head to start with in that $500 price.

I like you was on this journey recently and had the same dilemma. I would have liked to get the RRS TVC-22i Mk2 SOAR Series Tripod but it was unavailable just about everywhere and where it was they wouldn't ship to my location (outside the continental US) so I gambled and settled on a Leofoto and for the money I couldn't be happier. Specifically I went for the SO series with the inverted legs, they have some very good value package (Tripod & Ball head) offers at the moment so I got one which included the MH-60S ball head combined with the LSC-50 Arca+ Picatinny QR clamp I find it to be excellent.

SO Series packages

MH Ball heads

LSC-50 Lever-Release Hybrid Clamp

As for a tac/bag table I think I'm going to order on of these in the near future and add a Arca adapter

Hope the above helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: dlouie87 and cuz
I started with a budget friendly Shadowtech/pig saddle set up and just recently upgraded to a Leofoto/2 vet set up.

I hope to one day be able to afford a RRS/Soar set up. People seem to speak highly about the Anvil 30

I like that tripod table, I may need one of those.

The discount is for PRS members, but after further review, eBay was cheaper. I ordered the LN-364C with a LH-55 Ball head. That should fit the bill nicely for now, and I can always upgrade the head if I need to, but I doubt I will.
Thanks.

Reactions: Modoc and dlouie87
I would highly recommend a tripod sling, very useful on the go. I went for one by TAB Gear

I would highly recommend a tripod sling, very useful on the go. I went for one by TAB Gear

But of course, once you have the tripod, you need a sling, hammock, and all kinds of other attachments. I don’t even have it yet and I’m already checking out the Armageddon Tripod Caddy…

I saw that you already ordered but for anyone else trying to make the same choice:

If you want to buy a Chinese tripod, then find whatever the cheapest from Lefoto, Vortex, 2 Vets, Leopold, innorell, ect.

If you want one that was American made, designed by Americans (with their designs stole by many of the above), then pick up a RRS with an Anvil 30.

For just range shooting, you want a 2 piece and or thickest and most stable. That would be something like the RT90C, QDT V2 or SO-362C

Went from a Leofoto to an RRS and it’s been a major improvement. Obviously, the price is a significant jump but if you can swing it, just get the RRS and be done with it. It might actually save you a little bit of money in the long run when you want to replace your initial tripod.

Buy once, cry a bit. Or whatever they say.

Another vote for RRS hardware on any high quality carbon fibre tripod. Can’t believe how much more consistent I am with this setup over a saddle, especially if assisted with a sling to the fore end.

Another vote for RRS hardware on any high quality carbon fibre tripod. Can’t believe how much more consistent I am with this setup over a saddle, especially if assisted with a sling to the fore end.
Interesting, I hadn’t given any thought to a sling and tripod being used together.

Im using a Fatboy 3 section with their Levitate ballhead, it doesnt sit atop a big ass sphere which helps not have your rifle cant out from underneath you when adjusting or tracking but you only get 15 degrees of incline/decline which should be fine unless youre shooting goats or some shit.

The Levitate camming action is super smooth takes Pic and Arca, even the 419 jagged ones and the Sidechick attachment lets you mount your Kestrel, ATAK EUD or cellphone. Was like 1200 shipped for all of it.

Also cant go wrong with RRS

Im using a Fatboy 3 section with their Levitate ballhead, it doesnt sit atop a big ass sphere which helps not have your rifle cant out from underneath you when adjusting or tracking but you only get 15 degrees of incline/decline which should be fine unless youre shooting goats or some shit.

The Levitate camming action is super smooth takes Pic and Arca, even the 419 jagged ones and the Sidechick attachment lets you mount your Kestrel, ATAK EUD or cellphone. Was like 1200 shipped for all of it.

Also cant go wrong with RRS
Nice!

I called around and found a sale then ordered that same Fatboy and leveling head along with free shipping. Should be here by Tuesday.

I really wanted a RRS - since a few guys at the NRL22 match at the local club have them, bad thing is I wasn't willing to spend 1k+ on a tripod, so after doing some research I decide on the Athlon Optics Midas Tripod CF32, I watched several reviews, lot of positives and a few personal preference issues from reviewers, plus you get extras, for 499.99 @ Cameraland ( best price I could on the internet) - order from Doug and he made sure it went out yesterday so I can have it in hand today. Great bunch of guys to do business with.