• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tripod Users, Question?

cookietheswede

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2010
Southgate, KY
Researching in to getting a tripod.

Has any one done any testing on what works better. A saddle with "free" recoil or one that is clamped in?

I was thinking that free recoil would be more accurate. Being that most bench rests are that way. But I have very little experience with tripods, so just a uneducated guess.
crazy.gif

Re: Tripod Users, Question?

I'm running a Manfrotto 055XPROB with the PRS saddle. If you have the extra $$$ the Hog Saddle is a nice piece of equipment and you can't go wrong there either. I see a lot of guys using Slik tripods with zero issues and the Larue QD tripod adapter as well. I went with the Manfrotto though because it's built like a tank, and I seem to break shit a lot. The one downside though is I didn't have the $$$ for the carbon fiber model and it's heavy.

Have both, but prefer the saddle - the HOG saddle absolutely rocks. If you are interested in a solid rail clamp system the Botach Tactical Shooting Platform system is incredibly robust...just quite heavy, but would suggest you look at that system also (they have picatinny and clamp versions, but the HOG saddle clamp is preferable IMO).

Buy the Manfrotto.

Wait and get the carbon fiber model, like Broker said the aluminum version is heavy. I started with the aluminum and now have the carbon fiber, i would start with cf if doing it over again. The manfrotto handles recoil like a champ. I have shot 300WM off the manfrotto aluminum and carbon fiber with zero issues. 100% confidence in the tripod.

As far as attachment, i really like the manfrotto 322 because of the versatility. On top of that I put the larue picatinny mount. I machined some adapters to attach magpul rails to, so I can qd mount my spotting scope, rangefinder, rifle, cradle everything (i even attached my s&w m&p pistol and shot it). I do most of my tripod shooting clipped into my larue adapter though.

I like the 322 for a lighter rifle, but suggest you look at the manfrotto 054 magnesium ball head if you are shooting a heavier set up. The 054 is quite more expensive than the 322, but holds the rifle more steady and I like the adjustability and panning better. Works like a dream with the HOG.

I have never had an issue with the 322 on my set up. My rifle used to be heavy as f$ck! It weighed about 20 pounds and it always stayed stable.

I have to admit, i have wanted to try the 054, but really like the quick adjust pistol grips.

Manfrotto 055proB here, I have the alu version. The CF is 3.6 lbs, alu is 5.3. I know weight is weight, but not worth double the price to me. I also have the 322RC head which weighs more than the damn tripod. If I cut anything for weight it would be the head, but its growing on me quickly as its one of those things that its so nice, smooth and useful you're willing to lug the weight for it.

Only issue I see with tripods (or at least the Manfrotto) is that if you do not use a head of any kind, you are limited to seated/standing shooting with it. Then again, if I want to shoot prone I'd use a sling and or bipod anyways.

As for the saddle, I have only ever used a non-clamp saddle and have had no issues with it. I like the utility of it not being clamped so that if needed I can make adjustments with the rifle rather than my position, or having to unclamp anything.

Just because the Hog Saddle clamps in, doesn't necessarily mean you always have to use it that way. Just unscrew it and have both versions in one unit. That way you can figure out what works best for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheGerman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Manfrotto 055proB here, I have the alu version. The CF is 3.6 lbs, alu is 5.3. I know weight is weight, but not worth double the price to me.</div></div>

Throw all your gear into a pack and start humping it between stages then tell me a extra lb here or there doesn't matter...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheGerman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Manfrotto 055proB here, I have the alu version. The CF is 3.6 lbs, alu is 5.3. I know weight is weight, but not worth double the price to me.</div></div>

Throw all your gear into a pack and start humping it between stages then tell me a extra lb here or there doesn't matter...

I just switched out my Manfrotto 55 for a Slik Sprint Mini Tripod with a Hog Saddle for just the purpose outlined above. My intention is to start training for, and competing in, some of the adventure race style competitions such as Survival Trials and having to hump a ruck with gear means I need to cut weight where I can. Of course, I am sure that there are shooters out there who wouldn't take a Hog/Tripod anyway, but that is another discussion.

The Hog Saddle is worth the money. The name of the game in those compromised shooting positions is minimizing the reticle movement as much as possible. Clamping saddles help with that more because the rifle is suspended from the tripod, not resting on top of it. Learn how to shoot with one and you can get the movement down to almost zero depending on the position. Nobody has brought up the purpose of the tripod yet...what do you plan to use it for? It is a very stable system, the draw back is, its not the quickest to set up. If you are planning on competition use you may be better off with shooting sticks or something along those lines that set up faster.

Weight as a whole matters. The extra pound or whatever really doesn't matter to me; I'm sure something can be cut if that pound is make it or break it for you. Isn't worth the extra cost to me and the way I am set up I could probably take on weight if needed.

Hog saddle looks nice, but I think you would achieve the same if learning how to utilize your sling and tension the rifle with the sling tied to one of the tripod legs in an open type saddle like the PRS puts out. Only downside is the amount of time this would take opposed to clamping the HOG shut. Again, cost vs. need.

Last edited:
Weight as a whole matters. The extra pound or whatever really doesn't matter to me; I'm sure something can be cut if that pound is make it or break it for you. Isn't worth the extra cost to me and the way I am set up I could probably take on weight if needed.

Hog saddle looks nice, but I think you would achieve the same if learning how to utilize your sling and tension the rifle with the sling tied to one of the tripod legs in an open type saddle like the PRS puts out. Only downside is the amount of time this would take opposed to clamping the HOG shut. Again, cost vs. need.

You could probably take on weight? I can already tell the direction this conversation would go so there's no point. And the Hog Saddle clamp although serves a similar role as the PRS it also has some benefits that the PRS doesn't which for others is a necessity. I own a PRS, but if I had the extra money I'd own a hog saddle in a minute.

Ive been using a Prs saddle with the meduim slik tripod for around two years now with zero issues. Small enough that it packs away nicely too

I think it depends on your rifle and the options you have at hand. Do you have a pic rail on the bottom? If so the DCLW is sweet. Here is the sun shinning on a dogs ass:

I shot this 5 round group at 100yds:

2011-12-3009_37_09.jpg

Like this:

2011-12-3009_32_08.jpg

I am sure it was pure luck but the last shot went right prob because I stopped after 4 and asked my shooting partner if he was seeing this BS...

One thing that was present at last years SHC that shooters will likely encounter again is multiple shooting positions, targets to be engaged from separate spots. With the hog saddle clamped to the rifle, you can just grab the rifle and hustle to the second position by turning the rifle sideways, the tripod is clamped to it so it automatically comes along for the ride. When you get to the second position, set the whole unit down and go. You can't do that with a free recoil setup.

What do you guys think about using a Manfrotto 190 series aluminum tripod as a slightly lighter alternative for a gun weighing about 15 lbs? I think the 190s are rated for about 11 lbs. and are about 1lb. lighter than the 055 series aluminum tripods.

What do you guys think about using a Manfrotto 190 series aluminum tripod as a slightly lighter alternative for a gun weighing about 15 lbs? I think the 190s are rated for about 11 lbs. and are about 1lb. lighter than the 055 series aluminum tripods.

Realistically most match rifles are <15lbs and after you apply torque on the sling or pressure against the rifle while seated in the tripod it will well exceed that anyways. The weight rating is more a guideline for camera equipment as far as stability.

HOG Saddle

A Manfrotto 190 tripod will easily handle a 16-18lbs rifle. It’s a good choice for stalking, hunting, and run-N-gun precision shooting.
A lot of guys will mount a HOG Saddle directly to the base of a 190 without a tripod head to cut even more weight. (I’d recommend a 190XPROB model if not planning to use a tripod head. The 190XPROB’s center column can rotate horizontally, making it easier to acquire targets.)
This is a 190 tripod, with no tripod head, and HOG Saddle:

282719_438352459532738_1868204694_n_zps6c667b53.jpg

tumblr_m7q00zznXj1r5l073o1_1280_zps1c2cd281.jpg

A Manfrotto 190 tripod will easily handle a 16-18lbs rifle. It’s a good choice for stalking, hunting, and run-N-gun precision shooting.
A lot of guys will mount a HOG Saddle directly to the base of a 190 without a tripod head to cut even more weight. (I’d recommend a 190XPROB model if not planning to use a tripod head. The 190XPROB’s center column can rotate horizontally, making it easier to acquire targets.)
This is a 190 tripod, with no tripod head, and HOG Saddle:

I kinda figured the 190 would be enough tripod for a heavy gun, but just haven't had the first hand experience. Thanks for the suggestion, on the rotating center section usage. I had heard of people using a saddle without a ball head, but hadn't thought about using the rotating center section as an adjustment. I'll have to look at the XPROB model more closely then. I was leaning towards the basic model without the center section adjustment, but I will re-think that.

Last edited:
Just put my order in on a saddle from USTACTICALSUPPLY. Also placed an order with BHPhotoVideo.com. They had the manfrotto 190cxpro3 and magnesium head on sale. Also got the spiked feet. Prices from BH were the cheapest I found online the past few days of searching.