• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

tripod

Duffy1298

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
Jacksonville
Looking for a good/affordable tripod to shoot off of and or mount my spotting scope. If such a device exists. thanks gents.

Re: tripod

Have a look at those offered by Hide Member "Platypus" (aka - Danel Jenkins):

http://www.precisionriflesolutions.com/

They are first class units and Danel is as good a man as you'll encounter when it comes to his commitment to quality products and customer service. The Medium unit is arguably the most (IMHO) versatile unit that Danel sells from my experience. It can be used from low/prone all the way up to a high kneeling/sitting position, while the Large can ground low enough for prone and extend up to standing. The cradles are very well made units too, offered in two sized to best accommodate your particular rifle(s) in terms of forend/handguard width. With the QD plates, you can swap from the rifle cradle to your spotter in seconds with a simple flip of the QD lever.

PRS is good to go. sharon is outstanding to work with. i got their large (works great standing but will flatten to ground level) with the narrow cradle (perfect for AICS). not quite wide enough for mcmillan's wider fore ends.

Please school me...will a PRS tripod work with a Hog Saddle? I'm new to tripods and apologize for the thread jack.

I'm odd man out running a bogpod cld with my cradle
93E9521D-45C7-4CF9-A9BA-D88425FE841D-5945-000004DC26DF2209.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Roddd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please school me...will a PRS tripod work with a Hog Saddle? I'm new to tripods and apologize for the thread jack. </div></div>

Yes, it will with no issues. It will take the beating a Manfrotto will at half the price. I have the large tripod with the SSP-1 cradle and it's perfect. When I get the scratch together in a couple of weeks, I'll be picking up a hog saddle for it.

Danel and Sharon at PRS will take good care of you. Give'm a call!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Roddd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please school me...will a PRS tripod work with a Hog Saddle? I'm new to tripods and apologize for the thread jack. </div></div>

PRS offers both a saddle and a tripod (the tripod included is a SLIK). Just got mine last month, think ill be getting an SSP-2 next.

And a good pistol grip ball head.

Roddd,

No worries that is why most are here to learn and share information. Almost all tripods uses a 1/4"x20 threaded post to connect items either directly to the tripod or the post is incorporated with a quick detach type plate to interface between the tripod and whatever you are attaching to the tripod. Most cameras, video recorders, spotting scopes, and threaded laser range finders use this 1/4"-20 threads. The "Hog Saddle" and the PRS SSP-1 and SSP-2 are drilled and tapped for 1/4"x20 and will work with almost all tripods. As far as tripods go there are tons out there from expensive to cheap and exotic materials like carbon fiber to plastic. PRS selected the SLIK models 611-806 (PRS calls "Medium" 7"-43") and 611-849 (PRS calls "Large" 7"-63") based on the following criteria: Durable, Versatile, Compact, Lightweight, and Inexpensive.
Tripod shooting is another tool in the shooting tool box allowing the shooter to set up in various positions and locations to maximize your success of rounds on target. Shooting off a tripod and rest combination requires practice coupled with proper application of the fundamentals of marksmanship with that you will be able to maximize your shooting much quicker than trying to learn how to shoot slung up unsupported. As others have said I have found that positioning one leg in the target direction and placing the rifle in the cradle at about the balance point of the rifle allows for smooth follow through and faster return on target. Building a good body position is important but I have found the tripod to be pretty forgiving when time and the situation require a quicker shot.

Don't hesitate to ask questions, and you can always shoot me a PM or email about specifics.

Thank you to all the folks running PRS kit. We certainly appreciate your kind words and support.

Another +1 for PRS! bought a large tripod an have been very happy with it, does everything I need.

PRS all the way, just used mine to take my elk at 655yards, also packed it for a week in my pack and it was very light and hardly noticed it was there.