• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision tritium sights?

pabrousseau

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2018
would like recomendations based on your experience for tritium sights for my ar rifle. probably off set. i want good visibility for rifle orientation for close range shooting . thank you.

In total darkness, glow in the dark sights are just about useless, IMO. If you are in total darkness, you basically need to have your target silhouetted or have very low light conditions.

If you're considering using tritium for home defense, placing those dim LED night lights in hallways will silhouette an intruder giving you somewhat of an advantage, if you're in a totally dark bedroom or have no light source behind you.

When I played with them, we had the Trijicon on the AR's. Performed as expected and for the couple years I used them, the intensity never dimmed, so that I think is a plus. No reason not to have them installed on your rifle, if you feel the need or desire.

You won't be able to use any BUIS under NODs.

You won't be able to use any BUIS without ambient or supplemental light.

You're better-off using a miniature RDS, like an offset RMR or something.

Just a high-drag, non-operator opinion, FWIW.

Reactions: Jgunner
Start training your eyes.... Get outside in the black of night and just sit for a while..... In a few nights, get up and walk without lights.... When you are comfortable... Run through a wooded area on a dark night.... Work with what you have rather than try to buy what you need. My eyes were trained at a young age running an outboard through the bayous of the Atchafalaya Swamp (Louisiana) at 2 am on a moonless night.

Hobo

Reactions: TheHorta
^^^^ Ya, running through backyards on a moonless night as a young man - I learned that clothes lines are a hazard and they were white!!

• Haha
Reactions: MarinePMI
I had tritium suppressor height sights on a 19X that also had a RMR. It was a great set up until I bought a PVS-14. The RMR still worked great, but those sights just bloomed into huge spots, totally unusable.

i dont have night vision scope of any kind. just looking for a good no battery needed back up iron sight with tritium illumination bright enough to see in low light. ive looked at the troy. just asking what others found to be useful.

Over the years I've used Trijicon, TruGlow, XS Sights, and I'm sure others I've forgotten. They all work well. As has been mentioned, in total darkness the ability to see your sights is of limited use. They do make your pistol easy to find on the nightstand. You've posed your question in the Night Vision forum, which is why some answers include NODS experience.

In the years before Optics were omnipresent, I found a Tritium post on the AR very useful. Did add a challenge to zeroing A1 sights. I think XS Sights were the brand I used.

Reactions: Jgunner
I find tritium useful when trying to dind my pistol in darkness. Past that its usefulness is limited.

I run trijicons on all my pistols. What everyone else has said is 100% valid—if its pitch black and you can’t see shit, you can’t aim at what you can’t see. They are neat, and last a very long time, but they aren’t as practical as a weapon mounted light.