• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Trouble After Installing PRS Stock

majohnson2

Minuteman
Mar 14, 2012
Front Range, CO
I have a DPMS 6.8, since I installed a PRS stock and had to change the buffer tube my gun won't cycle. Whats happening is when cycling a new round into the chamber, the bolt won't lock closed to fire the round.

As part of installing the stock, I had to change the buffer tube. I had to play with the pin that locks the recoil spring and buffer. The original buffer tube had a notch that allowed the buffer tube to hold the locking pin (not sure on the name) in place. The replacement buffer tube just screws tight and holds the locking pin in place. The tube was from Brownells. I cleaned things, made sure the was indexed correctly.

Re: Trouble After Installing PRS Stock

Did you originally have a rifle length buffer and spring? The PRS uses rifle length recoil parts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: majohnson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a DPMS 6.8, since I installed a PRS stock and had to change the buffer tube my gun won't cycle. Whats happening is when cycling a new round into the chamber, the bolt won't lock closed to fire the round.

As part of installing the stock, I had to change the buffer tube. I had to play with the pin that locks the recoil spring and buffer. The original buffer tube had a notch that allowed the buffer tube to hold the locking pin (not sure on the name) in place. The replacement buffer tube just screws tight and holds the locking pin in place. The tube was from Brownells. I cleaned things, made sure the was indexed correctly. </div></div>

I had the very same issue when I installed a PRS on my first POF. You need a RIFLE length spring. The spring you have in there doesn't have enough force when coming uncoiled to cycle the bolt properly. By installing a rifle length buffer spring, your issued will be solved.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: majohnson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a DPMS 6.8, since I installed a PRS stock and had to change the buffer tube my gun won't cycle. Whats happening is when cycling a new round into the chamber, the bolt won't lock closed to fire the round.

As part of installing the stock, I had to change the buffer tube. I had to play with the pin that locks the recoil spring and buffer. The original buffer tube had a notch that allowed the buffer tube to hold the locking pin (not sure on the name) in place. The replacement buffer tube just screws tight and holds the locking pin in place. The tube was from Brownells. I cleaned things, made sure the was indexed correctly. </div></div>

I had the very same issue when I installed a PRS on my first POF. You need a RIFLE length spring. The spring you have in there doesn't have enough force when coming uncoiled to cycle the bolt properly. By installing a rifle length buffer spring, your issued will be solved. </div></div>

Wouldn't it be safe to assume that since he doesn't have a rifle spring that he also doesn't have a rifle buffer?

Yes, it would be safe to assume that. He probably only has the rifle length tube and that won't cut it. He has to have the rifle length tube, buffer, and spring.

That make sense! Originally it was configured as a carbine. I asked the guy at the gun shop if I needed additional parts, he said the tube was all I had to change.

Thanks all!!

Theres about 3" difference in the overall length of the 2 springs. Changing the spring seem to have resolved the feed issue.

Thanks,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: majohnson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That make sense! Originally it was configured as a carbine.<span style="font-weight: bold"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I asked the guy at the g</span>un shop</div></div> if I needed additional parts, he said the tube was all I had to change.

Thanks all!! </div></div>
Sadly enough this is becoming a mistake. Most off these guys are retarded and don't know shit. I've learned to either do a lot of research on the web or come on here.

The other thing to watch out for with the PRS is the length of the screw used to attach the stock to the buffer tube. I originally used a standard A2 length screw. Because there is no spacer with the PRS, this causes the standard length screw to protrude into the buffer tube. The buffer will hit the protruding screw and will not be able to cycle reliably.

You can tell if this is happening by looking at the rubber bumper on the buffer. It will have a donut indentation if it is hitting a [protruding screw.

--Rootshot

Rootshot, Thanks for that info, I would think they more then likely haven't sub to a shorter screw. I'm headed out in the morning to try things out.

I'm also wondering about the buffer. When I ordered the rifle length spring, I additionally ordered the rifle length buffer. There is quite a difference in length between the 2 buffers. Does it make a difference in which one you run? I've already installed the rifle buffer but I starting to wonder if that was the correct part.

+1. Your buttscrew is too long. Ask me how I know.

Too check for yourself, try to push the bolt carrier/bolt assembly into the buffer tube by hand. If the BC/B assembly doesn't retract enough for the bolt catch to work, something is wrong. Most likely the buttscrew length. It was for me.

Range day went good. I did install the rifle buffer. It always feed but had 2 FTF, I reloaded them in the mag again and they fired. Having an adjustable stock or a stock that fits makes all the difference in performance and comfort. The guy shooting down a spots was certainly interested after he noticed my target. Its fun to watch the blood run out of their face when I tell them its just a cheap DPMS! I still can't get use to the sound of the buffer spring.

Thanks All for the help.